PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on your vehicle

Dan F
10-05-2009, 02:42 AM
I haven't done any adverts on my car yet, but I have a positive feeling about this... as it's an inexpensive way of advertising your business and lots of people can see your message.

I'm going to put this advert on the back windscreen (is it called vinyl?)... and am thinking of something like this (I do computer repairs, most of the time on-site as I don't have a shop):

First option:

Computer Problems?
call TECHMATE on
mobile phone no / home office no

Second option:

Computer Problems
mobile phone no / home office no
call TECHMATE for IMMEDIATE support!

Do you think I'm using the right words?

painperdu
10-05-2009, 06:54 AM
I like the second one because it tells me what you do and tells me what you can do for me -immediate support.

Dan F
10-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Thanks for your opinion :)

Would it really make any difference if I had to put the contact numbers last instead of in between, or not?

Steve B
10-05-2009, 07:30 AM
It wouldn't matter either way. Both sound fine to me.

dynocat
10-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Either are fine. The shorter the better. If you forward one phone number to the other, I'd use only one. There's nothing worse for someone than to get only part of a phone number because of too much reading.

cbscreative
10-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I prefer the first one because the word IMMEDIATE could get you in trouble if you cannot always provide the immediate support. Maybe "Get support FAST" might be be better and still descriptive. I also agree with using one phone number only. Keep it simple. Your viewer may very well have less than 5 seconds to read it.

The other reason I prefer the first one is the phone # is on the bottom. This is the best way to do it because of the order the information is processed by the viewer. Putting the phone in the middle will be surprisingly less effective.

Also make sure to use large letters in plain block (like Arial or Helvetica with a 3" minimum height). As a former sign guy (and yes it is vinyl), use white on the outside of the glass. It will provide the best readability. It's not very artsy, but it is effective. This is a case where you don't want an artist getting "creative" with it.

Paper Shredder Clay
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
If you can offer immediate service, that sounds great. It gives a sense of urgency, and if someone is looking for such service, chances are they are wanting it soon.

KristineS
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I like the first one because that's how people are accustomed to seeing information presented. First you say what you do, and they you say how you can be contacted. If you play with that order, some people will miss the contact info.

Definitely only use one number. Two numbers is too much to try and remember, particularly when you might only see the message for a brief moment.

Dan F
10-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Till now I've always went on site in a few minutes (or at the client's earliest). Usually I get to know if the call is urgent or not, and usually the clients themselves tell me that I can go tomorrow, or evening the same day. But if it's urgent, it's not a problem as I don't have a retail shop, so I can go on-site at anytime.

cbscreative, I've got it and that's the way he did it. I think he used Arial (or a very similar font, but very readable and not fancy) and it's very neat. Also he did the letter all caps without even telling me, so he must know what he's doing. Had to remove the first sentence though as we both noticed a spelling mistake after sticking it lol, but everyone can make a mistake. I've moved the phone numbers to the bottom, as it makes more sense. Still made use of the 'Immediate' words though.

Hope I'll get some work from this :)

Thanks for your suggestions!

painperdu
10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, the phone # on the bottom makes sense because once I'm interested I'll naturally look for the number. Also, like said already, I'd stick to one number. What reason for 2 numbers? It's slight but still too much info.

Dan F
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Because it is cheaper to call to a mobile phone from a mobile phone as opposed to from a fixed phone to a mobile phone... and vice versa. Also, they might have the same service operator for their mobile phone service as I have, but might have a different operator for fixed line service... Thus they prefer to phone from and to the same operator because it's cheaper.

PS: We have one of the highest rates in Europe when it comes to mobile phones, tv, fixed phone lines and internet services.

EDIT: Both numbers are the same except the first two numbers, for the fixed line it's 27... for the mobile phone it's 79.

Vivid Color Zack
10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I like the second option better.

If you're not going for a full cut vinyl wrap of the whole window, say text only, I'd almost rather see you use a magnet. Magnets are nice because you can take them off if you're going out to a fancy dinner or if you're ever in a situation where you shouldn't be advertising your business in a cheaper way. I know sometimes you might think "why would I ever not want to be advertising my services?" but I'm pretty sure there are times where it comes up.

There's no cost difference in printing a 3' x 4' vehicle vinyl with text only or in full color with a great design. Why not throw a computer up there with a frustrated person or something? If you're going to do it do it great right? There is some risk of losing your message if you get carried away but I would be much more trusting of someone who put together a professional ad instead of just a few lines of text.

Steve B
10-07-2009, 05:05 AM
I think a magnet does more harm than good.

To me it indicates that you're brand new in the business and can't really decide if you're going to stick with it or not. When people choose a business they like to feel that you're going to be around next week.

I also can't imagine when you wouldn't want to be advertising your business.

lav
10-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Dan F mentioned in his original post the signs are going on his window so a magnet is not going to work for obvious reasons.

Also be aware that magnets even on the side of your vehicle will either fall off, blow off, get stolen or rust the panel of your vehicle within 6 months (guaranteed). The rust is caused by moisture and dirt absorbed through the magnet (yes its porous) and if left on for any longer than a month without removing it and cleaning it will definately cause damage to your vehicle. They also accumulate iron deposits which scratch the vehicles paintwork when putting them on and taking them off. I tell all my clients this yet they still buy them off me LOL

Points to CBScreative for pointing out white vinyl on a window, its something that a lot of people dont think of, if you cant use white use at least a light coloured vinyl as dark colours you will not be able to see on a car window. Also I agree with all those who said to keep it simple, 2 phone numbers is too much for someone to read on the road (average person has about 2.5 seconds or less to read your message while on the road).

If you want to use pictures or full colour, look into Perforated vinyl, It can be printed in full colour and applied covering your whole back window and it doesnt obscure your vision from the inside at all (you wont even notice its there) and it looks awsome

Dan F
10-07-2009, 06:41 AM
It's done, I'll post a picture later on.

I've seen card with those magnets on their doors. The disadvantage is that it's impossible to read it even if you're close enough... let alone at the road. (they're also easy for a competitor to remove it while you're not there). When driving the easiest way to read an advert is on the back wind screen.

The words are white, as the car itself is white. Could be that two numbers are too much but that's what I did now. If someone has little time to write, he will write the first one only... I don't see a huge problem with that. Also, it's a lot difficult to write a phone number on Maltese roads, as we don't have long distance roads and are full of turns and roundabouts. So it is more likely to work when it's parked somewhere rather than while driving.

Thanks for all these replies :)

Vivid Color Zack
10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Ok I wasn't recommending the magnet over the window vinyl, I was saying if you're not going to go all out on the window vinyl I'd rather see a magnet.

Also I was trying to say that if you have an ad you aren't able to be proud of that you would be best off being able to remove it sometimes.

Maybe it's because I'm younger again, and I think of this kind of thing more, but I'm not pulling up to my dates house or going out to a fancy restaurant with text on my windows advertising myself - unless it's done well of course.

I'm interested to see the end results here.

Also also, I live in southern california nobody has issues with their magnets causing rust around here. Though I never thought about it for my customers who are out of state. I'll be careful to mention that more in the future.

huggytree
10-07-2009, 07:32 PM
normally id say not to expect any business from the advertising(i never get any), but i know an IT guy who gets business from his....he has a business card box on the sides of his car saying (take one)....when he goes shopping he says there's always 1 card taken

99% of the time advertising on a vehicle normally does nothing to attract new customers in my opinion...what it does do is make you look professional and stable. I also recommend a uniform of some type w/ your logo on it....everything helps

magnets on the sides of vehicles are a joke...i dont know how anyone would hire someone with a magnet....very unprofessional and unstable

Remipub
10-07-2009, 08:08 PM
In my humble opinion, I think you should also add a line giving the reader a reason to call. The word "immediate" does that to some degree, but maybe something more compelling. People are not likely to respond to just a name and number - you need to find some emotional need to get them to act. It doesn't have to be anything long or fancy, just a simple line of text should help. Maybe something along the lines of "Computer problems? Call today and have your computer running like new tommorrow." (I don't necessarily like those words - but that's the idea).

Steve B
10-08-2009, 03:17 AM
As much as I think a magnet looks unprofessional, I've got to say I had one on my truck for at least 6 months and there was no noticeable scratches or other problems with it. I still have the truck and you could never tell there was ever a magnet on it. I also know some people that have had them for at least 2 years and they haven't experienced any problems either.

huggytree
10-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Steve B,

you've given me great advice over the years....cant believe you have the magnet!!! get rid of it!

i had my company info on the wifes minivan for a year... i finally removed it...2 things- #1 having your name on a mini van looks 'small time'....which i never want to appear to be......#2...it doesnt work.

Steve B
10-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Notice the "had" is past tense. It was my first 6 months in business. We agree 100% on this one.

I've replaced the magnets I had when I first started the business several years ago with a complete vinyl wrap of the van. You can see the van in the video on my website.

Paul McQuillan
01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for your opinion :)

Would it really make any difference if I had to put the contact numbers last instead of in between, or not?

I know this is old now, but what the heck...

I like the number on the bottom

I liked the first version better

This is the most cost effective way to advertise on the planet (unless
your car never leaves the garage).

As long as we don't focus on the company name, it can work very well.

Dan F
01-06-2010, 02:04 AM
It has worked better than Yellow Pages, believe me! Since I've advertised on Yellow Pages (September) I've only got 2 jobs! With a €20 car sticker I only got one but people keep telling me that they didn't know I repair computers and that they will give me a call if anything happens. So it's doing its job.

Yes, the numbers are at the very bottom.

Now this was only to check if it works, because it would have been more appropriate if I had to go for a full car wrap. But I had 2 problems, it'd have been out of my budget and it's my personal car...