PDA

View Full Version : Single person business

Dan F
10-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi!

Well, I've been doing computer servicing for almost two years now. I've only too advertising seriously since last year. I've been wondering how to advertise if you're a one person business. Using 'we' gives people the impression that it's an experienced business.

So, simple question. If I had to say that I do computer repairs should I use 'We fix computers', or 'I fix computers'. Not necessarily this phrase, it's just an example.

Harold Mansfield
10-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi!

Well, I've been doing computer servicing for almost two years now. I've only too advertising seriously since last year. I've been wondering how to advertise if you're a one person business. Using 'we' gives people the impression that it's an experienced business.

So, simple question. If I had to say that I do computer repairs should I use 'We fix computers', or 'I fix computers'. Not necessarily this phrase, it's just an example.

That's always a tough one that I go back and forth on my self. In my case, I can and will do most of the work, although I have others that I can call on to outsource specialized services so on the "company" website I use "we". On my personal website (just me as a freelancer) I only promote the serves that I can do without outsourcing any work, so on there I use "I".

I know everyone doesn't have multiple websites, so I would say that if it's truly just you, then there is nothing wrong with saying that. Single person businesses usually make that point by titling the business in their name.

You don't want to give the impression that there are others, if in fact there really isn't...someone may call you on it and that would look unprofessional.

JMO of course.

Spider
10-04-2009, 02:53 PM
If you are a single operator but have incorporated your business, the corporation is a separate entity in law. So, there are two of you when talking of the business - you and the corporation. Thus, "we" is in order.

If you are a sole proprietor with business associates, as Harold described, then "we" again would be appropriate, unless you say things that would appear to bind these associates -- "We promise ..."; "We guarantee..."

If you are a sole proprietor and work alone, then it would seem "I" would be more accurate, especially if you are makeing specific statements. If you are speaking generally, or in non-specific terms, I think the Royal "we" would be okay.

Dan F
10-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Many thanks for your reply :)

Most of the time I try to use the business' name, but it's not always possible. So, thanks again :)

Patrysha
10-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I prefer when possible to avoid the dilemma.

(Keep in mind these are just off the top of my head examples and are not likely to be much good without tweaking...)

Get your computer fixed by Company name (would work well and get around the I and we)

You'll love the convenience of talking directly with our technician on site, saving you money by reducing downtime and travel.

Just keep in mind that you are trying to answer the prospects question "What's in it for me?"

huggytree
10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I think using 'WE' is usually better...most people want to do with business with large/stable companies....using 'I' sounds like what it is...

its a business decision and goes along with your marketing and business model or concept.

sometimes using 'I' may be better....i choose to use WE and everything I do i make my company look like its large and been around forever...it suprises everyone to find out im a 1 man company....they all find out. i dont hide it...

jamestl2
10-04-2009, 09:59 PM
I'd say it all comes down to honesty. It really depends on how many people are working on the project. Since I do all the work for my business, I use "I", and that's the way I prefer to use it..

Sometimes I'll see people using the word "we" when they post, and I would tend to steer clear of them (given that in most communities, only one account per person is allowed).

vangogh
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm with James on this. When I first started I did use 'we' and company name to make myself appear larger. All that happened was I got a lot of requests for projects that required more people than me to work on. It ultimately led to the wrong kind of clients approaching me.

There's nothing wrong with being a one person business and people will be happy to work with a one person business. In fact many people prefer to work with a small one person business than a larger company. A one person business has a lot to offer that a larger company can't, like a personal touch.

I think it's best to be honest and be who you are.

KristineS
10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I would also vote for being honest about how many people you have on staff. I think most consumers are savvy enough nowdays to realize that bigger isn't always better. They also know that often paying for a "we" company means paying for overhead and unnecessary weight that may not be useful.

I'd just be straightforward. Being an "I" instead of a "we" might lose you a few jobs, but I'm betting it will win you a few jobs as well.

Adolphus
11-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Hi!

haha i do that we thing. i run a car parts business and its just me and when people call i tell them yeah we will be right over to take a look and they are like oh well how many people are you sending over? I tell them well it will be just me. sometimes they are like oh well i dont want to bother you as the president of the company if you are all booked up. i tell most people the deal but sometimes its funny to act a lot bigger.

Willie Posey
04-16-2019, 08:09 AM
Not necessary, seriously! I mean people will see your services offered but not name printed at the banner. And of course, they are no one to underestimate single-person business.

chrismarklee
04-21-2019, 04:32 PM
You need to make customers happy and get referrals from them.

SkyWriting
11-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Hi!So, simple question. If I had to say that I do computer repairs should I use 'We fix computers', or 'I fix computers'. Not necessarily this phrase, it's just an example. :)

"I". and speak to just one person. Imagine your uncle Jim.

Hey! I'm interested in fixing your computer this week. I hope an opening is left in my schedule
and I can get it done for you pretty quick. Text me @ xxx-xxxx with your situation and I will
try and estimate a return date for you. Any help I can offer to get you up and running will
make my day!

- Dan

But ideally you want to educate them before they buy.