PDA

View Full Version : How to provide an e-book for my visitors?

Spider
08-16-2008, 05:28 PM
I want to add a free e-book to my website. I can write the content. I can make a pdf of it. How can I set it up so someone types their e-mail address into a form and have the e-book automatically sent to their e-mail address and their e-mail address added to my e-mail list? Is there a service for that, or can I set it up myself?

billbenson
08-16-2008, 05:54 PM
If you really want to email it do a search on hotscripts.com or other places for email scripts.

A far easier approach, I would think, would be to put a form on your page that when they fill it out takes you to (action) free.pdf Its just like a link on your site to page.html, but its a pdf page. As long as they have acrobat reader on their computer it will open. They can then choose to save it if they wish.

I'm assuming you want to collect their emails. The proper way to do this is to have the form save the email and other info to a database. You could also just have their info emailed to you and manually stick it in an excel sheet or something. For low volume, that is fine. If you have a lot of traffic, you definitely want to take the database approach. If you may have a lot of traffic in the future you should take the db approach as well.

However you go, its not a lot of code and a designer here can certainly do it for you reasonably. There are probably services for this sort of thing, but then they are collecting your email list and may be reselling it as an optin list. Don't use a 3rd party for something like this IMO.