PDA

View Full Version : S.C.O.R.E. Have you used them?

Paper Shredder Clay
10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Has anyone in here used SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives)? They are a group of retired professionals who help people in business with plans, etc. I have heard they are free. I have thought about trying to contact them for help setting up business plans.

Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks.

Harold Mansfield
10-02-2009, 12:30 PM
I went to a local office a few years back when I was thinking about another business. I found them to be very helpful and informed. They gave me some good information and pointed me in the right direction to really investigate if that would have been a viable business and how to get it off of the ground.

I thought they were great, especially since they are volunteers.

KristineS
10-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I haven't personally used them, but I know people who have. From what I've been told, they can be quite helpful and provide useful information.

Dan Furman
10-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm going to disagree - I never found SCORE all that useful. This is coming from the angle of a "start with nothing" entrepreneur.

For starters, most of the people in SCORE were not entrepreneurs - they were executives. HUGE difference. I'm sure they have plenty of business advice, but I'm not sure a non-entrepreneur is who I want to take advice from when I'm starting out. Successful as many of them may be, most of them never took the "started with nothing" plunge.

Secondly, in my experience, I feel they preach the formal business plan way too often. Some of you know how I feel about that. I feel you need a formal plan if you want to go to the bank. Otherwise, not so much (let's not start that debate again, though). But if you go to SCORE wanting to start a simple IT service out of your home with no loans, etc, they still want you to create a meaty, formal plan. I'd rather see you jot down a few goals / expenses, and then go fix a computer for a business.

Nox
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I've consulted with a few from them. One thing I didn't like is their opinion. They said if I want to start up something, they said I should be working in the field at least for several years before plunging into this kind of biz. For example, if I want to start up an apparel store, they would say I should be working in apparel/fashion field first to gain knowledge. I do understand from conservative point of view that but I have very good reasons for not working in apparel field. Things like that. Goes true for those who want to start restaurant or other type of biz but they never worked in such field. That's why they hire chefs and things like that to take care of details.

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm going to disagree - I never found SCORE all that useful. This is coming from the angle of a "start with nothing" entrepreneur.

For starters, most of the people in SCORE were not entrepreneurs - they were executives. HUGE difference. I'm sure they have plenty of business advice, but I'm not sure a non-entrepreneur is who I want to take advice from when I'm starting out. Successful as many of them may be, most of them never took the "started with nothing" plunge.

Secondly, in my experience, I feel they preach the formal business plan way too often. Some of you know how I feel about that. I feel you need a formal plan if you want to go to the bank. Otherwise, not so much (let's not start that debate again, though). But if you go to SCORE wanting to start a simple IT service out of your home with no loans, etc, they still want you to create a meaty, formal plan. I'd rather see you jot down a few goals / expenses, and then go fix a computer for a business.

I've consulted with a few from them. One thing I didn't like is their opinion. They said if I want to start up something, they said I should be working in the field at least for several years before plunging into this kind of biz. For example, if I want to start up an apparel store, they would say I should be working in apparel/fashion field first to gain knowledge. I do understand from conservative point of view that but I have very good reasons for not working in apparel field. Things like that. Goes true for those who want to start restaurant or other type of biz but they never worked in such field. That's why they hire chefs and things like that to take care of details.

All of that is starting to sound familiar, they must have a script that they use throughout the program.

I guess I got lucky and actually talked to a guy that was actually in the exact same business that I was looking to start at the time and he gave me so real world advice.

On a side note, I have worked in a lot of restaurants, bars and nightclubs and the best managers and the most successful ones are always run by people who have worked in them either front or back of the house.

No exaggeration, every bar owner that I have seen in the last 15 years (here in Vegas) that opened with no [Vegas)] experience, failed. So on that one, I would say they are correct.

BIZDEV
01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm actually partial the SBDC folks. Small Business Development Counselors are located usually in local colleges. Their services are free and they do have a lot to offer.

They're big on business plans too, but for the most part, there is no getting around the dreaded business plan.

SCORE folks are retired executives with good intentions but maybe more "old school".

Both organizations are a godsend for those that need direction and advice.

huggytree
01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
i never used them, but know a few small business guys locally who did...it didnt sound like did much for them....i always find most advice is so vague that it doesnt help much. Ive taken business classes and read books on small business....both were worse than useless....

this website is the best source in my opinion for small business advice...its alittle too heavy on internet based business, but still a perfect place for a startup looking for advice.

The Entrepreneurs Network
01-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I tend to agree with Dan Furman. I have been in the corporate world for many years and the last 15 years as an entrepreneur. I know both sides and it is a different ball game when you are an entrepreneur ad run your own business. Huggytree is correct that this forum is great for opinions and ideas, but most people starting a business need more that just opinions. The business consulting/coaching industry, including SCORE, is great with generalities and theories, but generally short on specific instructions on what an entrepreneur needs to do to get a business off the ground.