PDA

View Full Version : Adding to a Facebook fan page.

Spider
09-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I cannot see how to add a section to a Facebook fan page. I want to add a "library" or a "bookshelf" with self improvement books, CDs, etc. to my Self Improvement FB Fan Page. Does anyone know how to do that?

vangogh
09-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Just wanting to give this thread a bump so it stays near the top and I can get an answer to the question too. I have a hunch either eborg or Kristine will be answering this one.

Spider
09-29-2009, 09:57 AM
In the absence of an answer, I am contemplating this solution, VG. --

Creating a dedicated page for Facebook on my own website, Self-Improvement Pages (selfimprovementpages.com) and linking to it from the FB fan page's Notes section.

I'd have a link back to FB on the website page.

In fact, this may even be a preferred option, because the fanpage was established to drive traffic to the website, where there are more things for people to buy. The link back would also drive more traffic to the fan page from people who arrive first at the website. (Two-way flow of traffic.)

What do you think of that? Would something like that work for your situation? Any improvements to suggest?

vangogh
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
That would work and might even be the better solution as you say. The goal is to drive people from your Facebook page to your site so why not do that.

Can you add a link in a permanent place on your Facebook page? If you can, couldn't you also add the library links there as well? is there a limit on how many links you can add? Were you thinking the library would be more than simple links?

I'm not sure if you were planning this or even want to do this, but you could have the recommended books be affiliate links to Amazon (or other). That probably isn't allowed at Facebook, but would be at your site. YOu could display an image of the cover of the book and then a brief description of the book on your site.

Harold Mansfield
09-29-2009, 03:06 PM
There are a few Book type apps available like "We Read" where you can show your personal bookshelf, and suggest readings to your group ,but the best way IMO, if you want to build a page store, is to use the "Profile Box" , or any of the other apps that allow you to build with HTML (they call it FBML) and design the page yourself, and insert your own affiliate or other links.

For most of the app settings, there is an option to make it a "Tab", which will place it in your menu.

FB disabled the option to rename your tabs, so it's a little harder to make custom tab titles, but not impossible.
I know that if you use the HTML (FBML) boxes, (and you set a particular box to be displayed as a "tab"), the title of the tab will take on what ever name you title the box. So if you name the box "Bookstore" it will display on the tab "Bookstore".

I have also seen some pages use the "notes" section to display book reviews with purchase links.

I checked out some of the larger book retailers like Borders, and Good Read and they don't have a store per se', but they do link from reviews to the online store.

I also looked at some musicians that sell their own music, and they either use a combination of app such as "iLike" (which does nothing for books) , you tube apps to show their own videos, link to a sale page that is on their own website using store banners, or build the page from scratch to include their latest catalog.

I see people selling books, and ebooks on their profiles, but usually it is a combination of boxes on the "boxes" tab, or HTML.

So the easy answer is..good old fashioned HTML and design it yourself.

...hope that helps.

Spider
09-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, it does - thanks Harold and Steve. I am part way through creating a page for my website but there are other things in your explanations that appeal.

I'll let you know how it ends up.

vangogh
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
eborg I knew we'd get a good answer from you. I think you've spent more time with Facebook than the rest of us.

Thanks.

Harold Mansfield
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Yes, it does - thanks Harold and Steve. I am part way through creating a page for my website but there are other things in your explanations that appeal.

I'll let you know how it ends up.

I'm more than happy to give you any help, tips or suggestions if you need them.

Spider
09-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I appreciate the offer, Harold. There is an immediate question that has been bothering me for a while--

Is it possible to place a permanent link on one's Home page to one's own fan page? I realize this won't place a permanent link on the News Feed (which goes to create our friends' home pages) but it would make one's own life convenient. As it stands, to go to my own fan page I must hunt around from the bottom left menu "Ads and Pages," go through page settings and 'view page' - a minimum of 3 clicks + the wait time. How can I go straight there?

I have found a 2-click method - the top left menu, the one that starts with News Feed, expands with 'more' at the bottom, which then reveals a 'Create new list' link. This shows you your list of friends, which includes fan pages. I made a list of one - my Self Improvement fan page - and named the list Self Improvement. That now appears in the menu. It doesn't send me to my fan page but it does list on my home page all the posts by me as admin of SI. A click on one of the icons takes me to the fan page.

Now that is convenient for me, but how can I pass that on to others?

The problem I see here is that, with fan pages, groups and blogs, once created they are left out in no-man's-land and no-one gets to see them except for the few minutes they appear in, before getting buried by, the News Feed.

We cannot expect to be able to impose our fanpage, group or blog, on other people, but it would be nice if we can tell them how to place a permananet link on their home page, if we can convince them that they really want to do that.

Do you understand what I am getting at?

Harold Mansfield
09-30-2009, 05:52 PM
I think I understand what you are asking, "How do you get others to link to your fan page ?"

Well, when people become a fan, it is listed in their profile that they are a fan of your page, along with the others.
Other fan pages can "favorite" your fan page as well and some fan pages display their favorite pages like I do on mine here (http://www.facebook.com/pages/124-Beats-Per-Minute/129079883556#/pages/124-Beats-Per-Minute/129079883556?v=box_3)

Also when someone "likes" a comment, link or update that you have posted, or comments on something that you have posted, your link shows up on their wall.

People can add your link on their links section, but the problem is, most people (and there are 360 million on Facebook) don't really understand how things like that work. Any one of us can make a links page, hyperlink an image, or what ever we need to do, but the "regular" people don't really know how, or pay much attention to how to do it....they are on Facebook to socialize and play games.

There are plenty if link building applications on Facebook, but unless people learn how to use them, there's really not a whole lot you can do to give people instructions on how to link to you.

unfortunately, I can't think of a way to instruct people to link to you because the average person doesn't know how to work more than the basic functions in FB, so you are left with the ones that actually do, and you don't have to tell them how, they already know.

Lastly, your "Fans" can suggest to their connections to become a "fan" of your page.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, if not, kinda slow it down for me, it was a little confusing.

Oh yeah, about the fan page link from your personal profile ? Just add it to the same place that you have your website(s) listed in your profile. I also have a "profile page" on my personal Facebook page that shows my business facebook pages.

Spider
09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Wow! Facebook is an amazing set of apps, that's for sure. I wonder how they get it all working together. But, as you say, very few people seem to bother about making real use of it. And for them, our pages, blogs and groups, keep appearing and disappearing from the News Feed.

You've given me a couple more ideas, though, so thanks again. I'll have my Self Improvement Bookstore open fairly soon, I think.

I like the way you have your Boxes page looking, btw. Is it possible to have more than one "Boxes" page?

Harold Mansfield
09-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I like the way you have your Boxes page looking, btw. Is it possible to have more than one "Boxes" page?

I don't think so, from what I have seen, you can only use an application once, per page or profile. You can use similar apps together..for instance there are a ton of You Tube apps if you need more than one way to display video.

The boxes app itself, will let you make multiple boxes, and you can make an individual box into a page (tab), but not an additional "boxes" page.

And you have to be careful... some of the apps that look really cool, don't work well. Not all of the apps are 100%, that is the one thing they really need to clean up. Just check the reviews, how many people are using it, how many fans it has, and the last time a support question was answered.

lav
10-01-2009, 01:11 AM
I just looked at your facebook page and you dont have your facebook selfimprovement page in your information box along with your other websites. Why cant you just put it in there (i just put mine in there on my page)

(your link from your home page to your fan Im talking about)

Spider
10-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Okay - I've done that, Jason. But that is only putting the link in one fairly obscure place. Someone would have to go to my profile to see it, if they even bother to look there. And that is assuming they associate me with the Self Improvement page.

I notice, too, that I am unable to post on the SI page as myself - I can only post as SI Admin. That means my posts on SI do not link to my profile, as would a fan's post.

The point I'm trying to make (and overcome) is that a friend (my friend or a friend of a fan) will see a post from the SI page on their news feed (their Home page.) Depending on how active their friends are, that SI post will disappear from their Home page within a couple of hours. Now, if they want to find the SI page later, where will they look for it? They are not a fan themselves, so it doesn't appear on their profile. There seems to be no obvious directory of fan pages or groups, and I cannot figure out how to make the SI page accessible to new people without bordering on being a nuisance by constantly posting about it myself. Even that only reaches my friends, I think, and not friends of fans. Friends of fans have to wait until the fan posts again, isn't it?

Please understand, I'm not complaining - just trying to figure out how to make the SI page more accessible.

vangogh
10-01-2009, 11:46 AM
There seems to be no obvious directory of fan pages or groups

I've noticed that. The only way to find them seems to be the search. In fact, it didn't seem all that easy to me to get back to groups you already signed up for.

Harold Mansfield
10-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I notice, too, that I am unable to post on the SI page as myself - I can only post as SI Admin. That means my posts on SI do not link to my profile, as would a fan's post.

Just click the "share" link, and it will give you options to share it on your personal profile as well.

The point I'm trying to make (and overcome) is that a friend (my friend or a friend of a fan) will see a post from the SI page on their news feed (their Home page.) Depending on how active their friends are, that SI post will disappear from their Home page within a couple of hours. Now, if they want to find the SI page later, where will they look for it? They are not a fan themselves, so it doesn't appear on their profile. There seems to be no obvious directory of fan pages or groups, and I cannot figure out how to make the SI page accessible to new people without bordering on being a nuisance by constantly posting about it myself. Even that only reaches my friends, I think, and not friends of fans. Friends of fans have to wait until the fan posts again, isn't it?

Please understand, I'm not complaining - just trying to figure out how to make the SI page more accessible.

No everything you are saying is correct. The only way to find pages is to search, you can't even access your own pages from your personal page.

Facebook operates like Twitter in that respect, except a Tweet is lost much faster.

As far as people finding your fan page once they have seen a post on the wall...they can't unless they remember the name and search for it, or click through and join the page. There is no bookmarking option within FB, but normal bookmarking still applies..IOW, there is no reason that people can't bookmark your FB page just like any other website..

They would have to participate in some way, like comment, or give it the "thumbs up" or share it, for it to be easily accessible to them again from their profile wall.

Just like any other web page, you can entice people to bookmark your page with the same buttons that you use for your website, "Add This" or what ever you can fit in.

Okay - I've done that, Jason. But that is only putting the link in one fairly obscure place. Someone would have to go to my profile to see it, if they even bother to look there. And that is assuming they associate me with the Self Improvement page.

You have to interlink your pages with your personal profile. Where Facebook doesn't provide an actual area that , as you said, that is not obscure, so you have to make your own area.
Personally, I would make an extended profile page on my personal profile, that promotes my other Fan Page(s), and websites and make sure that it is in the navigation tabs.

You can also set which page will be the landing page of your profile. So if you have an extended profile page that you have set as a "tab", you can make that the page that everyone lands on when they come to your FB page. You can do that with Fan Pages and Profile Pages.

Spider
10-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I've noticed that. The only way to find them seems to be the search. In fact, it didn't seem all that easy to me to get back to groups you already signed up for.All the groups you have joined, and all the pages of which you are a fan and all the blogs you follow are listed at the end of your Profile 'info' page - at least, mine are.

Spider
10-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Just click the "share" link, and it will give you options to share it on your personal profile as well....Yes, I do "share" the post. It posts on SI and on my news feed/Home page but nowhere on my Profile, and it posts as a post from SI, not from me. Also, it posts on SI as being from SI and not from me, so there is no link from the icon to my profile. Whereas, if a fan posts on SI their icon links to their profile. That's what I was trying to explain.

...The only way to find pages is to search, you can't even access your own pages from your personal page... As noted to VG above, all the groups I have joined, all the pages of which I am a fan and all the blogs I follow are listed at the end of my Profile 'info' page, including my own groups, pages and blogs. It's just that they are not easily accessible for anyone else.

I like the idea of getting some of this stuff as a tab, as you mentioned before, Harold, and I will see if I can follow how you did that.

vangogh
10-01-2009, 10:51 PM
All the groups you have joined, and all the pages of which you are a fan and all the blogs you follow are listed at the end of your Profile 'info' page

Thanks. I think I did notice something like that the last time I was looking for them, but it's been awhile since then.

Harold Mansfield
10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Yes, I do "share" the post. It posts on SI and on my news feed/Home page but nowhere on my Profile, and it posts as a post from SI, not from me. Also, it posts on SI as being from SI and not from me, so there is no link from the icon to my profile. Whereas, if a fan posts on SI their icon links to their profile. That's what I was trying to explain.

That's the way it is set up. If you post on your Fan Page and "share it" to your profile, of course it will post as coming from your Fan Page. They are 2 different pages. Facebook doesn't associate you with the fan page, it treats them as separate entities. You are only recognized as the Administrator when you sign in and to perform functions, but you can't post on both with the same identity. Which ever one you post on, that's the identity it will carry where ever else it is displayed.
Many people run multiple fan pages, that they don't necessarily want attributed to their personal profile.

Pages, and Profiles do not function the same way. There are similarities, but the functions are not the same.

When people post on your fan page (from their profiles) it will carry their profile identity.

If you post on a fan page, it will not identify you as the administrator of the SI, it will identify you by your personal profile.

Fan Pages can't post on the wall of other fan pages, You can only favorite them to share on your own fan page.

As noted to VG above, all the groups I have joined, all the pages of which I am a fan and all the blogs I follow are listed at the end of my Profile 'info' page, including my own groups, pages and blogs. It's just that they are not easily accessible for anyone else.

I like the idea of getting some of this stuff as a tab, as you mentioned before, Harold, and I will see if I can follow how you did that.

On your Fan Page, concerning other pages that you have "favorited", you can edit the box that displays your favorite pages and either put that section as a box on your "boxes" tab, or a box on your wall and it will display underneath your profile information.
Personal pages do not have that same function.

I think some of the frustration is that you may be expecting both your fan page and your personal profile to function the same way and they do not. Groups, and Business pages function different as well. They all have certain benefits, but are different. For instance if you have a Group, you can message everyone in the group simultaneously..from a personal profile you can only message a certain number at a time.

One more thing..you can "share" from your Fan Page to your profile, but not the other way around. If you want something to go on your fan page, you have to post it.

When you bring up how other people's links are posted, you also have to look at what kind of page they have. Some people use personal profiles as business pages, and some people use their real names on Fan Pages, Groups and Business Pages. That is the difference in how some links show up differently because they all function differently.

It sounds more complicated than it really is, you just have to think of them as individual pages/profiles, just like individual websites.

Spider
10-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I haven't discovered this 'favoriting' process, yet. It sounds like that is the clue to getting tabs and boxes under control.

Thanks again for the continuing explanations. This is truly amazing. I wonder at the millions of hours devoted by some really intelligent people to have this stuff working as well as it does without getting all tangled up.

And all done with simple on-off switches. I am in awe!

Harold Mansfield
10-02-2009, 12:13 PM
When you go to another FanPage, just underneath the profile photo on their wall, there is an option that says "Add to my page's favorites". When you click that, it will give you options to add that Fan Page to your Fan Pages favorite's.

Then that fan page will show up in a box on your "Boxes" page (like I have here) (http://www.facebook.com/pages/124-Beats-Per-Minute/129079883556#/pages/124-Beats-Per-Minute/129079883556?v=box_3) along with any others that you have added as favorites.
You can keep that box with the "boxes" page, or put it on your Page's wall and it will display underneath your other profile information.

Since I have my boxes page set as my landing page, people will see my favorite pages immediately when they come to my facebook page.

###
To make a box, or application a tabbed page, you have to see if that is an option when you edit the application settings. If it is an option it will tell you that it is available as a BOX, or a TAB and ask you to "add" or "remove" it as whichever you want to display, or both.

http://www.haroldmansfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/example.jpg

Spider
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Progress! I have the username - SelfImprove - for my SI fan page. That means a much shorter and more readable URL - facebook.com/selfimprove

I have also uploaded the new SI Bookstore to my SelfImprovementPages.com website, with linkbacks to Facebook SI. (Comments and suggestions are welcome.)

Next comes getting a fixed link within Facebook to the Bookstore.

I can see uses for the "Add to my page's Favorites" but that is adding *other pages* to my page, whereas I would like to add my page to my Wall or Home page. Can't see how to do that yet.

I also found "Fan Box" which makes a widget/box for adding to a non-FB website linking back to the FB page. I see possibilities for that, but not yet.

The quest continues.

Harold Mansfield
10-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Progress! I have the username - SelfImprove - for my SI fan page. That means a much shorter and more readable URL - facebook.com/selfimprove

I have also uploaded the new SI Bookstore to my SelfImprovementPages.com website, with linkbacks to Facebook SI. (Comments and suggestions are welcome.)

Next comes getting a fixed link within Facebook to the Bookstore.

I can see uses for the "Add to my page's Favorites" but that is adding *other pages* to my page, whereas I would like to add my page to my Wall or Home page. Can't see how to do that yet.

I also found "Fan Box" which makes a widget/box for adding to a non-FB website linking back to the FB page. I see possibilities for that, but not yet.

The quest continues.

As far as I know, there is no decent function to add your Fan Page to your personal profile. That is something that you will have to create on your own with an HTML box and then use the option that I showed you above to put that box on your wall. Sort of like creating your own banner ad.

Spider
10-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I have come across an app called "Web Presence" which may do the trick. I tried to install it and it didn't take. I will try again shortly.

Update
Didn't work. Would not install. Seems others are having the same problem.

vangogh
10-03-2009, 02:41 AM
I think I've learned more about Facebook in this thread than anywhere else. It's the one site I want to build a greater presence on, but just haven't gotten into enough yet to explore as much as I should.

My family and friends are actually using it, which has made me use it more, but not quite to the extent I want.

eborg do use one of the desktop clients to keep up with the conversation on your wall and friend's walls? Some of the Twitter clients I've used also connected to Facebook and I found I was a little more involved when I was using them. Unfortunately for one reason or another those clients didn't work well for me as a Twitter client and I'm using one that doesn't connect to Facebook at the moment. Just curious how you follow what's going on there.

Spider
10-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Here's how I avoid getting overwhelmed with the chatter on my home page (= news feed.)

1. If I have time and want to read the whole things I start at the bottom of the page (being the oldest posts) and read upwards, thus reading everything in chronological order. I generally scan this quite quickly.

2. As I go, whenever I come across the results of a nonsense quiz or game, I *hide* (mouse-over link to the right of the post) the app. which prevents it from appearing if any friend uses it. This reduces a lot of the crap.

3. If I want to scan for the important stuff, I use the filtered feeds which are listed in the left column under "News Feed." Standard filterings are Staus Updates, links, videos, but you can create your own filters using "Create new list." You can select from your list of contacts to make as many specialized lists as you want and see only the news feeds from them when you click that list's link. You can create a 'family' list and only get posts from family, or a 'business' list and only see posts from business contacts, etc.

Harold Mansfield
10-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I think I've learned more about Facebook in this thread than anywhere else. It's the one site I want to build a greater presence on, but just haven't gotten into enough yet to explore as much as I should.

My family and friends are actually using it, which has made me use it more, but not quite to the extent I want.

eborg do use one of the desktop clients to keep up with the conversation on your wall and friend's walls? Some of the Twitter clients I've used also connected to Facebook and I found I was a little more involved when I was using them. Unfortunately for one reason or another those clients didn't work well for me as a Twitter client and I'm using one that doesn't connect to Facebook at the moment. Just curious how you follow what's going on there.

I use TweetDeck at times, but normally I just log into FB to see what's going on and to make updates, and of course the email notifications. I usually log in 2 or 3 times a day..see what's happening, make a few comments and drop my updates.

I really need to get on actually promoting my pages...I haven't done too much on that end yet.

I find that I log in there more that I do Twitter these days. A lot less spam..actually hardly any. I don't think that I have been spammed with a sales pitch yet, just event updates that I have signed up and asked for.

Spider
10-04-2009, 09:35 AM
...I really need to get on actually promoting my pages...I haven't done too much on that end yet...How do you plan to do that?

I have been a little worried that too much posting on a subject that is obviously my stock-in-trade will be considered as "too much selling" - ie. spam.

OTOH, post too little and your posts get lost in the clutter.

How do you find a balance? Or do you have some tricks you'd like to share?

Harold Mansfield
10-04-2009, 03:08 PM
How do you plan to do that?

I have been a little worried that too much posting on a subject that is obviously my stock-in-trade will be considered as "too much selling" - ie. spam.

OTOH, post too little and your posts get lost in the clutter.

How do you find a balance? Or do you have some tricks you'd like to share?

I don't have any big tricks to grow fans on Facebook. You certainly should be advertising to the readers on your website..after all that is your target market.

Personally, I'm giving stuff away. The Page for the music blog is the one that needs members so I'm targeting all of the normal giveaways that I do to joining the facebook page.

The one thing that I am trying to develop is special features that are only available on the FB page, so it's not just a duplicate of the website...so I make sure that any information I post there, has not been posted anywhere else that I contribute news and information for that niche.

Harold Mansfield
10-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't have any big tricks to grow fans on Facebook. You certainly should be advertising to the readers on your website..after all that is your target market.

Personally, I'm giving stuff away. The Page for the music blog is the one that needs members so I'm targeting all of the normal giveaways that I do to joining the facebook page.

The one thing that I am trying to develop is special features that are only available on the FB page, so it's not just a duplicate of the website...so I make sure that any information I post there, has not been posted anywhere else that I contribute news and information for that niche.

I forgot to tell you the obvious ones. Personally, I would like to get away from Twitter and start turning my attentions more to Facebook so don't forget to make sure that in the "Widget" section of FB ( you can get there from the "Add a fan box to your site" button underneath your wall photo) to add your pages to their respective Twitter accounts. I don't like it the other way around, especially if you have a feed set up to update certain information on your Twitter account.

Also make use of the widget tools to add to your website, or have a nice set of social icons placed on your website (including the FB one of course)

You can get free social icons all over the web and most times it's just a matter of resizing them so they fit your purposes. Some of the cooler ones are premium, but still pretty cheap.
If you are good with PhotoShop or Gimp you can easily edit most of them if you need to since they were made on PS or Gimp anyway.
I think a nice set of Social Icons placed well is a necessary and crucial part of your website..These days I'm really thinking 3-5 is sufficient (FB, Twitter, Email, Linked In, and what ever else you have going)

I think the days of having 30 social networking and bookmarking icons are pretty much over..I mean who has that kind of time ?

There are also a few Mass DM tools out there for Twitter. I would use them sparingly, but it's a good way to let all of your Twitter followers that you have real content on Facebook and to join you over there....you will notice just how many people are following you because they are truly interested in your niche or subject matter, or were just looking to add followers so that they can have people to market their own crap to.

I've done it once, and will probably do it a few more times when I have a nice giveaway going to get Twitter people over to the FB page, but like I said, sparingly. I don't want to piss of my "real" followers.

If you do any blog commenting...use your FB link as your website link, instead of your web page..they can find your webpage from your facebook page, but not always the other way around.

Interlink all of your accounts..FB address on your Twtter background, Twitter url on in your linked in profile. They should be second nature on any online profile you have, just like your email address.

In your case, it seems a nice free ebook or motivational tips would be a nice enticement to sign up on the fan page.

Spider
10-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I have been searching the various FB applications for a way to add a box or something to my FB page and the Self Improvement page that will let me rename the box. It seems so amatuerish to have a box entitled "My HTML" or "Profile Box" or whatever.

I want a tab that says "Bookstore" and links directly to my SI Bookstore, and not to another part of my FB profile. The way they have it right now, the picture links to my photos, the title links to my Notes, both of which are useless.

Plus, I can't get that widget thing to produce a widget - all it gives me is a little button.

Gosh, this stuff is getting frustrating!

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I have been searching the various FB applications for a way to add a box or something to my FB page and the Self Improvement page that will let me rename the box. It seems so amatuerish to have a box entitled "My HTML" or "Profile Box" or whatever.

I want a tab that says "Bookstore" and links directly to my SI Bookstore, and not to another part of my FB profile. The way they have it right now, the picture links to my photos, the title links to my Notes, both of which are useless.

Look for the app that lets you make HTML boxes, I think it's called "Static FBML". In those you can put in your own HTML to construct the box. At the top of the box you can name it.
Those boxes have the option (when you go to "Edit My Page" and it lists all of your applications, choose "Application Settings") of keeping it as a box, which will show up in your "Boxes" tab, or as a stand alone Tab, or even add it to your wall.

What ever you title the box will be the name of the Tab.
You can have a lot of "Static FBML" boxes...if you want, you can remove all the tabs after "Wall" and "info" and have the rest of your tabs be self named Static FBML boxes.

You can also move the tabs just by dragging them in different positions.

"Wall" and "Info" are the only 2 tabs that you cannot move or delete.

If you look here (http://www.facebook.com/pages/124-Beats-Per-Minute/129079883556?v=box_3#/pages/4th-Internet-Media/144844575675?v=box_3&viewas=679064652), I have a tab named "F.A.Q's", and here (http://www.facebook.com/pages/124-Beats-Per-Minute/129079883556?v=box_3#/pages/124-Beats-Per-Minute/129079883556), I have a tab named "Toolbar"...those are both "Static FBML" boxes.

Plus, I can't get that widget thing to produce a widget - all it gives me is a little button.
Gosh, this stuff is getting frustrating!

The widget will not work on Facebook itself, it only works on outside websites and blogs. I had the same idea myself..to take the code for the page widget and place it as a wall box...but it won't work like that.

Sometimes, even when you put the widget code on your website, at times when Facebook is running slow, the widget will not load properly...but most of the time it works just fine. I have one here (http://www.124bpms.com) on this website...I just stripped some of the code to take away the thumbnail of followers. It usually fits well in a 300 px width spot.

Cool thing that I just found out is MP3 podcast links will play from the widget right on your website..I think video podcasts work as well.

Spider
10-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks - I'll look for Static FBML

Another annoying thing has been occuring recently - login won't remember me for longer than about 15 minutes. Every time I go to FB now I have to go through a full login - it doesn't even remember my e-mail address, let alone the password. Do you know of any setting where I can correct this?

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks - I'll look for Static FBML

Just type it into the applications search, it should come right up.

Another annoying thing has been occuring recently - login won't remember me for longer than about 15 minutes. Every time I go to FB now I have to go through a full login - it doesn't even remember my e-mail address, let alone the password. Do you know of any setting where I can correct this?

I don't have that problem. Just check the "Remember Me" box, and also Firefox remembers the log in as well.
That will happen if you dump your cookies regularly, other than that, I don't think that's a FB issue, sounds more like a browser issue.

Spider
10-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I realize I tried Static FBML before and couldn't get it to work. Tried it again just now - still won't work. I get an empty box that I can move but can find no way to write anything into the box. Removed it. Looking for something else.

Remember me problem is a FB issue. I am having no trouble with other sites remembering me. It wouldn't make FB my homepage, either. Guess I'll just have to live with the inconvenience.

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I realize I tried Static FBML before and couldn't get it to work. Tried it again just now - still won't work. I get an empty box that I can move but can find no way to write anything into the box. Removed it. Looking for something else.

That's strange because that is one of the few apps that works 100% for me.
Once the app is loaded onto your page, and you see it listed with the rest of your apps, click the little pencil on the right and choose "edit" (of course it won't be labeled yet, it will just say "FBML":

http://www.124bpms.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fbml3.jpg

Adding code to it is pretty straight forward, you should have a open box like this:

http://www.124bpms.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fbml1.jpg

Just place your code, add the box title (which will also serve as a "Tab" title) and save changes.

Where are you having the problem, not getting the app assigned to your page, or adding info into the box ?

Spider
10-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm going to try to reload it again to answer your questions accurately....

... Now I cannot add it to my page. When I click "Add to my page" a box pops up that previously had me choose whether I wanted to add to my own page or Self Improvement. Now the box says "No results," so I cannot add the app.

I also notice that even though I have "removed this application" the FBML tab still exists. Clicking the pencil only allows me to remove the tab, no other choices. But 'FBML' is still there under the "+" tab, and when I click that, I get the 'FBML' tab back.

Also, when I list my apps - bottom left corner, FBML is not listed so I cannot activate it from here nor delete it from here.

I guess something is jammed, and I have wasted more time than it deserves. I'll use something else, even if I have to suffer a nonsensical box title.

Thanks for your help.

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
My offer to help still stands if you want me to get in there and straighten it out for you

Spider
10-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks, Harold - I appreciate that. Putting this difficulty up against the healthcare debate, global warming and world over-population, it just doesn't seem all that important, and I'd hate to waste your time along with more of mine.

There are plenty of other apps that claim to be able to do the job, so there's no real need to bother with this one, eh? Being stubborn is an asset when it's called tenacity, but a real handicap when it is just being stubborn!

I've used Custom Profile Box on my profile, which is working fine. Even so, that won't let me add something similar to my fan page. So, screw 'em - I'll just pick another one for SI.

I have worked hard to simplify my life - I will not let Facebook re-complicate it! :)

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Harold - I appreciate that. Putting this difficulty up against the healthcare debate, global warming and world over-population, it just doesn't seem all that important, and I'd hate to waste your time along with more of mine.

There are plenty of other apps that claim to be able to do the job, so there's no real need to bother with this one, eh? Being stubborn is an asset when it's called tenacity, but a real handicap when it is just being stubborn!

I've used Custom Profile Box on my profile, which is working fine. Even so, that won't let me add something similar to my fan page. So, screw 'em - I'll just pick another one for SI.

I have worked hard to simplify my life - I will not let Facebook re-complicate it! :)

I understand. Well if you change your mind, you aren't wasting my time..it's called good Karma, besides, I get a charge out of troubleshooting.

All that matters is that you get done what you need done without blowing a gasket or chucking the computer out of the window. There are plenty of HTML apps on FB.

Sometimes you need to step away from the keyboard and a solution will come to you while you're at the bar watching the game.:)

Spider
10-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Don't ask me how I did it, but I clicked a few wayward clicks and BINGO! I got my bookstore box on SI

Self Improvement | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/SelfImprove?v=wall&ref=nf)

We'll see if it's still there in the morning!

Harold Mansfield
10-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Well Hooray for that ! Glad to see that you finally got it !

Spider
10-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Without remembering every keystroke, I think the clue was in the difficulty I was having separating my personal page from the fan page. Sometimes I would try to be SI Admin and what I asked for happened to my personal page. Then I realized that Ads and Pages is an app. and I had to treat it as such.

That separates me from SI and the rest was just following my nose, so to speak.

Harold Mansfield
10-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I kind of figured that you were trying to make them both function the same and they do not at all. You have to treat them (for the sake of admin) like the separate entities that they are.