PDA

View Full Version : What gifts would make you feel appreciated?

Patrysha
09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
I've been working hard on my last hurrah (okay my only hurrah) as business promotions director for the local Chamber of Commerce.

It's the Chamber's 50th birthday and I'm playing with that for Small Business Week. So we (me and the Chamber manager who are the committee) are collecting up 50 gifts, discounts and samples for business owners in town that week.

So far we have free coffee at 5 restaurants (a different one each morning) for those who go in with their business card between 6-9am...a gift certificate for coaching, some samples from 3M, a certificate for the printing of 50 business cards, a certificate for one free centerpiece with an order of 6 or more from one of the flower shops...plus three seminars (two full day ones on taxes/bookeeping from the CRA and one half day on marketing from a speaker from the city)

I have a pile of audio and pdf's that I can compile to round out the list...but I'd like to pack it full of other things first...

So...as a small business owner what would you like to receive if your Chamber was doing something for you?

Keep in mind we have no budget - it was all allocated to the President's Ball Gala - so there's nothing available for the week :-(

vangogh
09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
It's not the gift. It's the thought that counts :)

What you have so far is good. I like any coupons to restaurants or similar. I would think any business that's already in the Chamber could offer a discount or freebie to their business and it could work. They get free advertising so it should be a mostly easy sell to have them donate the prize. It's also a good way for Chamber members to get to know each other better.

I assume the Chamber charges for membership so maybe a free or discounted year could be offered. Any other things the Chamber charges for would work as well.

Patrysha
09-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Yes, we have opened it up to Chamber members to offer up something (that's how we got most of the items on the list so far...other than the seminars)

I was just looking for specifics so I can narrow down the pavement pounding...emails just don't get the job done when it comes to getting donations...

vangogh
09-29-2009, 12:18 AM
I guess for me I'd like the restaurant coupons and any discounts on something I can apply to my business. After that it's just personal stuff that would be hard to pick for everyone. I like tech stuff so anything computer related likely makes a good gift. That probably wouldn't be true for most of the membership though.

How about discounts/coupons for a bookstore?

Patrysha
09-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Sadly, there is no bookstore in town. Just Walmart, one of the grocery stores and the drugstore...and, of course, those are just the latest bestsellers and serial novels.

We do have a couple of great places to get used books...but nothing for new...

I don't think everyone will like or want all 50 things, but want it to be enough of a mix that almost everyone will like something.

I have a list of places to visit tomorrow. Now to hope my kids behave so I can...

Business Attorney
09-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Generally, to me coupons good for a discount generally don't feel like a gift - though restaurant discount coupons are an exception, for some reason. So a free ream of copy paper (which might cost an office supply store $3 in lost revenue) seems to be more of an appealing gift than a coupon good for 10% off your next order, even though the latter is probably more valuable.

But as for rounding things up without hitting the pavement, I can't help you there. Good luck.

Paper Shredder Clay
09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
I agree I think its a good start. Does your area have SCORE? Its a group of retired professionals that still help people with their decisions and teach. I would invite them to speak and give their information along with your other gifts.

I've been working hard on my last hurrah (okay my only hurrah) as business promotions director for the local Chamber of Commerce.

It's the Chamber's 50th birthday and I'm playing with that for Small Business Week. So we (me and the Chamber manager who are the committee) are collecting up 50 gifts, discounts and samples for business owners in town that week.

So far we have free coffee at 5 restaurants (a different one each morning) for those who go in with their business card between 6-9am...a gift certificate for coaching, some samples from 3M, a certificate for the printing of 50 business cards, a certificate for one free centerpiece with an order of 6 or more from one of the flower shops...plus three seminars (two full day ones on taxes/bookeeping from the CRA and one half day on marketing from a speaker from the city)

I have a pile of audio and pdf's that I can compile to round out the list...but I'd like to pack it full of other things first...

So...as a small business owner what would you like to receive if your Chamber was doing something for you?

Keep in mind we have no budget - it was all allocated to the President's Ball Gala - so there's nothing available for the week :-(

Patrysha
09-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Nope, no SCORE...mostly cause we're Canadian. There is the Small Business Development Ctr. in the next town over, I'll have to see if the other Pat has a connection there...

Harold Mansfield
09-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Generally I like any schwag. I live in the convention capitol and getting the schwag is the best part of going.
Why not make it serve 2 functions...give out free stuff, but ask the businesses participating if they would like to contribute anything to help them promote their business...coffee cups, free consultations..what ever.
That way you kill 2 birds..get stuff and the chamber gets to introduce themselves and market to each other.

dynocat
09-29-2009, 09:02 PM
What you have sounds good, but I would add a few personal items. Are there business there that make/sell candles, small packs of coffee, bottled water or juice, air fresheners, pens, jar openers, notepads, beer hooks, etc. Can you tell I like promotional items?

A label company I used sent me a beautiful scented candle one spring. I still use them and haven't even bothered to look elsewhere. Not just for the candle :). They also have very good customer service.

KristineS
09-30-2009, 09:51 AM
If the Chamber was doing something for me, and I was a business owner, I'd want stuff that could improve my business. I don't know what access you guys have to books about best business practices or anything like that, but that sort of thing would appeal to me.

billbenson
10-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I spent 20 plus years as a field salesman. We were always being sent new giveaways from my company. Cups, paper openers, etc.The secretaries liked them, but I can't remember a time where I thought it contributed to business.

Actually, I can think of one or two exceptions. We had those knife things that also were pliers, screw driver, etc. They are expensive in a store. They went over well, but can you afford to give away $20 gifts. People had so many coffee cups that they gave them away.

Retail, of course, is going to be quite different than what I did.

I do like the coupon idea with one exception. Not to many people remember or carry coupons around with them. If its a coupon good at a variety of restaurants, if you could register the individual by phone number so they didn't have to have the coupon with them, that could work. Might get kind of complicated getting the retailers to use them though.