PDA

View Full Version : Online Businesses - Do You Even Need a Business Phone Number Anymore?

KingHippo
08-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I've never called Amazon.com up before and I don't even think they have a phone number...probably a lot of online businesses don't have one anymore.

With the ability to answer questions with a FAQ, e-mail people, use online form submissions and even use online live in-person chat all from your web browser, is a business phone number even necessary anymore? If you think its necessary, who would you recommend I get a toll-free phone number from?

cbscreative
08-16-2008, 05:49 PM
A toll free number depends on your business, but some kind of phone number on your contact info is still highly reccommended. If there is no phone number, anyone trying to get a hold of you is forced to rely on you answering emails or form submissions. Those who are either scamming or providing poor service don't want phone calls. Allowing customers to contact you through a physical address and a phone number shows you are a real business and builds trust.

Aaron Hats
08-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Not posting a phone number is the first sign the business is not legit. If I'm on a site and can't easily find a phone number I bail.

orion_joel
08-17-2008, 01:37 AM
First you can contact Amazon by phone (1-866-216-1072), it is not to difficult to find, just search contact us on their site. They also have a call back feature so you dont have to even call them, you just enter your phone number and they will call you.

Having a phone number (not mobile number) on your website, can show potential customer's there is somewhere they can contact you without having to do it impersonally on the computer via email. While there are many sites and businesses on the internet that do not offer a phone number in anyway on their website's almost any business that offers a physical product has a number somewhere, finding it can some times be difficult. If they don't list a phone number most people tend to be a little wary.

This is besides the fact that a phone line can be cut off at any time, however mostly they are registered in the name of a person and that at least gives people somewhere to start if the site is a scam of some sort.

Steve B
08-17-2008, 07:38 AM
I jump ship if I can't find a phone number. One time I bought something from someone without a phone number and I won't let it happen again.

Rockman
08-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Legitimacy is the key to success. No phone number? You don't get my business. I take it one step further: No TOLL-FREE Number? You don't get my business either.

It's extremely easy and affordable for anyone to get a toll-free number these days. You can have all calls routed to email or your cell phone. Try to make your company look 'BIG' even though it's not.

KristineS
08-17-2008, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't buy from someone who doesn't have a phone number on their site. That's one of the main pieces of advice I give people who ask for site reviews. Make sure you have multiple forms of contact information on your site (snail mail, e-mail and phone) and make sure that information is easy to find.

orion_joel
08-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Kristine that is one thing that i noticed with Amazon, even though i was able to find there contact details quite quickly i do not think it would be anywhere near as easy for a regular browser. I scanned the home page could not see a contact us link (may have missed it) and straight away put in the search box contact us and found it in about 30 seconds, however it was a small text result compared to a lot of product results.

I do buy odd things from sites that don't offer a phone number but in every case they have been low cost electronic products that i had read many good reviews from other users. Which i had no problem with any but i guess there could have been that chance, i think that it helped they all accepted payment through paypal.

KristineS
08-17-2008, 04:27 PM
A lot of the bigger companies do make it harder to find contact information Joel, which is, in my opinion, a real flaw in their customer service plan. I know why they do it, because it saves on having to staff a call center and train reps, but not every company can get away with it.

I always make it a point to have all our contact information clearly stated on all our sites. I think it reassures the customers and I know it certainly makes us seem easier to deal with.

pete
08-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I can count on my fingers the clients and prospects who call me. But there are some, and that is their preferred method of contact. Mine is email, but for some they just seem to prefer the phone.

Half of my business is outside the US and I'll get more calls from those people, particularly before they actually become a client. I think they just want to know there is a real person at the other end.

In the hosting business, I'll also get some who simply want to be stepped through the keystrokes by someone, rather than follow printed directions.

But regardless, I'd still maintain a business phone number, as well as a toll-free number. The toll-free is free, just pay 2.9 cents per minute and the bill is never over $ 10 or 12 per month, in-coming and out-going.

Total maybe $ 35 a month and it establishes legitimacy and keeps people from getting my family on the home phone line. I've got 2 2-line phones in my home office, all the others are single line for the published number. My family won't answer the business line, will let it go to voice mail if I'm not there.

orion_joel
08-18-2008, 12:25 AM
I am the same with my contact details on my website. The second link in the side navigation is Contact. It list's office number, fax number, postal address, i have also listed mobile number, however listed it as messagebank, as i very rarely answer incoming calls on my mobile, not sure why just sort of habit, i prefer to be prepared for a call before taking it which when in the office is much easier then when out and about on my mobile. This is primarily because most calls i get on either are pricing queries and if i am in the office i have internet right in front of me to look things up but not always when i am out of the office.

SouthernOfficeChairs.com
08-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure I've never called Amazon.com up before and I don't even think they have a phone number...probably a lot of online businesses don't have one anymore.

With the ability to answer questions with a FAQ, e-mail people, use online form submissions and even use online live in-person chat all from your web browser, is a business phone number even necessary anymore? If you think its necessary, who would you recommend I get a toll-free phone number from?

Most definitely you need a phone number! As a customer and a business owner, I understand the importance of customer service and being able to talk to a "real" person when you have questions (or doubts) about a business.
This is a MUST HAVE investment for any business and you need to have it prominently displayed on your site.
SOC

KristineS
08-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Most definitely you need a phone number! As a customer and a business owner, I understand the importance of customer service and being able to talk to a "real" person when you have questions (or doubts) about a business.
This is a MUST HAVE investment for any business and you need to have it prominently displayed on your site.
SOC

Your so right, SOC. If a potential customer has doubts and no way to contact you, they will just move on to the next business down the line. Contact information is so important, especially if the customer has concerns.

Marcomguy
08-26-2008, 07:50 PM
You definitely need a phone number. Email and chat help often suffices, but sometimes a problem telescopes and then the most efficient way to resolve it is to simply talk to another human being.

With telecommunications being as inexpensive as they are these days, it doesn't make economic sense to forgo the business phone number.