PDA

View Full Version : Self Improvement

Spider
09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I have re-read the rules to see whether - and, if so, where - I can post about a Facebook fan page I have created about Self Improvement. I wanted to announce its launch at SBF.net because improving small business is really all about improving the small business owner. If you want more sales, you have to be a better salesperson. If you want a more vibrant business, you have to be a more vibrant person. Thus, self improvement is - I think - a major part of improving a small business.

But there is no forum here about self improvement, that I can see. The Water Cooler is my default choice. (I'm sure the moderators will find a more suitable place, if there is one -- even if that is the Recycle Bin!! :eek:)

So --- Self Improvement | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Self-Improvement/76532879974?ref=nf)

Several coach and speaker friends of mine will be posting on a daily basis and I will be posting short video clips of an encouraging, positive and educational nature. Personal development products will be available, and I am anticipating an active discussion section on the various subjects that fall under the heading of Self Improvement.

My SBF friends are welcome to participate, encouraged to visit and pleaded with to buy from or through us. Your comments, here or there, are most welcome, and your advice, as usual, greatly appreciated.

vangogh
09-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Technically the link is a little on the self promotional side, but you've contributed more than enough to allow yourself a bit of self promotion. If this were your first post it would be deleted, but it's not your first post and like I said you've contributed a lot here and deserve a little something back.

I think the Water Cooler is probably the best place for this thread, though the idea of a self improvement section to the forum is intriguing.

Your page at Facebook looks interesting. You have another fan as of a few seconds ago. I've always thought self improvement is the best thing any of us can do in business. The best investment you can make in your business is to invest more in yourself. The more you know and understand and the more confident you are in yourself the more you'll succeed in business.

Spider
09-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Thank you, VG. (Glad I scraped under the wire!)

Personal development / self improvement in business is a strange animal. It's very easy - and often done - to think of it as education about business topics, like accounting, sales, customer relations. While these are definitely important, I see PD/SI as being more about the person - things like self-confidence, self-esteem, gratitude, purpose.

Personal goals are usually quite different from business goals, and achieving them needs a different approach. And, if employees are involved, the congruency of your business goals and the employees personal goals can get quite complex.

It's an interesting subject, indeed. And of more consequence to the success of a busines than is generally thought.

Blessed
09-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I just became a "fan" of your page too -- I've had a couple crazy weeks so I'm just dropping in to see what I've been missing out on while I get a few "improvement" things done around here - some self, some for my business! More later.... :)

vangogh
09-25-2009, 11:31 PM
It's very easy - and often done - to think of it as education about business topics, like accounting, sales, customer relations. While these are definitely important, I see PD/SI as being more about the person - things like self-confidence, self-esteem, gratitude, purpose.

That's a really good point. I do think the education part is very important. Knowledge is power. But I completely agree that things like self-esteem and confidence are more important. There's a mindset to being a business owner and the PD/SI stuff is what gets you in that mindset.

Using myself as an example there are plenty of things I don't know about my business and business in general. But I'm confident enough in myself to know that I'll figure those things out. There are projects I take on where I couldn't tell you how I'll get it done when I start, but I do know I'll find a way to get it done. I think most of us are capable of much more than we think. The trick is to believe you're capable. If you do believe in yourself you can do most anything.

Blessed
09-25-2009, 11:49 PM
...I think most of us are capable of much more than we think. The trick is to believe you're capable. If you do believe in yourself you can do most anything.

Bingo! My Dad always told me that I could do anything I set my mind to. He was right and I'm glad he helped build my self-confidence when I was young.

vangogh
09-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Yep, we fail at things many times simply because we believe we will. If you believe you'll succeed it's funny how often you succeed.

Spider
09-26-2009, 12:59 AM
There's an explanation for that - very briefly, it goes like this--

1. Everyone has a certain potential. That doesn't change, no matter what you believe.

2. With that potential, you make an effort to do something.

3. That effort produces a result.

4. That result establishes or reinforces a belief you have in your own ability.

5. If your belief is that you can do something, you make another effort. You can bypass #1 because your potential doesn't change, only your belief can change.

6. So you believe you can do it, you make an effort and get a result - which raises or lowers your belief. If you keep failing, your belief is gradually lowered, you make less effort and guarantee continued failure.

7. If you start out believing you cannot do something, you don't make the required effort and your results confirm your belief.

7. Or, your results appear to be taking you closer to achieving, which raises your belief that you can do it. The stronger your belief becomes, the greater the effort you make and the better results you get.

The trick is realizing that your potential remains unchanged. Your potential will always be far greater than you will achieve. The amount of effort you make and the results you get will change, and those changes are totally dependent upon changes you make to your belief.

lav
09-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Thats a fantastic facebook page Frederick, You can take that as a compliment, I "do" feel better for giving you a compliment, do you feel better for receiving one? ;)

Spider
09-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I do, indeed - thank you!