PDA

View Full Version : Domain Name??

billbenson
02-27-2019, 04:01 PM
In the past it was highly recommended to use a .com for a domain. I am starting a new business with a three digit acronym for a name. acronym.com isn't available. Is it still highly recommended to use .com domains?

turboguy
02-27-2019, 04:39 PM
It is far better to stick with a dot com domain. can you do something like acro-nym.com I don't like dashes but it is better than going with a .ws or .info Maybe a slight misspelling like akronym

By the way I have heard some great review on porkbun.com as a domain provider. They are half the price of GoDaddy and NameCheap and have a much better dashboard than NameCheap.

billbenson
02-27-2019, 05:45 PM
ws was a MLM scam years ago. I hadn't thought about that recently.

Harold Mansfield
02-28-2019, 07:01 AM
I tell most people to stick with a .com.

Personally I like other extensions and use them for myself and my own projects, but I'm fine with the extra hurdle of marketing a not so well known extension. For instance I love .one. My .one domain is one my favorites. I also like .io for a "tech" crowd because they're used to seeing other extensions, and have used .it in the past.

But most "normal" people still assume and recognize .com. For some reason when you give them a different extension other than .com, .net, or .org their brain freezes up and they can't comprehend that there is no .com at the end of the domain so like a Rumba that keeps bumping into the wall they keep trying to add it anyway..

Them: "So is it .com.one?"
Me: No. It's just .one."
Them: So where do I put the .com?"

It's a real pain. Even worse when it's an email address.

If we're recommending registrars, I find Hover very easy to do business with and manage.

davidlee21
03-02-2019, 01:40 AM
Yes, Com domain is preferred, But you can also go for .co,

PatrickM
03-06-2019, 07:01 AM
I think that the obsession with dot com sites has certainly lessened over the years.

There are now more and more country based extensions and interesting named extensions that work really well with specific niches.

MCA737
08-06-2019, 06:41 PM
There are currently over 400 new TLLD names - even if you have a .com web site, these new TLLD can be used for branding
and advertising purposes.

Example, the domain name texashemp.lawyer

SkyWriting
11-16-2019, 06:45 AM
In the past it was highly recommended to use a .com for a domain. I am starting a new business with a three digit acronym for a name. acronym.com isn't available. Is it still highly recommended to use .com domains?

Stick with .com.

ABC "city".com
or
"state"
"county"
"US"
"Wins"
"Got"
"cares"
"dares"
"Works"
"Time"
"Flows"

A good URL flows. It might have rhythm, or rhyme. But it is short, easy to remember, and it "flows".
Your brand is a "person" and that person should be easy to understand. Maybe ABCsmartass.com is your persona.
If so that url might work for you.

Maybe your three letters don't flow well? Don't use them then.
Celebrities change their names because their given names don't flow well.
Maybe pick a good acronym and build your name around it.

MCA737
05-01-2020, 04:28 AM
Currently there are over 400 New Domain Extensions that may be utilized to brand your business name or
your phone number.

turboguy
05-04-2020, 01:40 PM
I prefer to have a .com wherever possible. You mention the company name is a 3 letter acronym. Most of those have been gone for years but let's say it QVC as an example. You might be able to do something like Q-V-C.com. Another option would be to add something to that 3 digit acronym that relates to the type of service or product such as QVC-marketing.com