PDA

View Full Version : Gimp on Linux

billbenson
11-22-2018, 02:59 PM
I used Photoshop in windows years ago. I never liked Gimp on Linux at that time. I want to use Gimp on a Linux install. Is there a Photoshop like configuration for it these days that anyone likes?

Harold Mansfield
11-23-2018, 11:06 AM
I don't know about a photoshop configuration but I have GIMP installed on Linux and it works fine for me. I've also been using it for years though. It is a learning curve. I refer to the tutorials a lot. https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Blue Hen
11-23-2018, 12:36 PM
I used Photoshop in windows years ago. I never liked Gimp on Linux at that time. I want to use Gimp on a Linux install. Is there a Photoshop like configuration for it these days that anyone likes?

It depends on what you are doing in Photoshop. I have Gimp on my Ubuntu desktop and it is definitely clunkier than Photoshop on my Mac. However, it works fine for a lot of things but is less intuitive. It can be hard to find certain features if you are used to Photoshop

billbenson
11-23-2018, 03:09 PM
I'm going on memory here, but it has different panels that would be nice to keep docked together as a unit. I was never able to make it work well ie, one pane would disappear etc. It might just be a learning curve thing.

Harold Mansfield
11-23-2018, 03:57 PM
I'm going on memory here, but it has different panels that would be nice to keep docked together as a unit. I was never able to make it work well ie, one pane would disappear etc. It might just be a learning curve thing.

Try this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7923635/how-to-dock-tool-options-to-toolbox

Blue Hen
11-23-2018, 06:35 PM
The most annoying thing for me with Gimp is that the images I edit always seems to be in the background and before I can do anything at all like add a filter or add text, I have to first click on the image's window pane to bring it to the foreground and make it the active window. This happens to me on 2 computers and with different versions.