PDA

View Full Version : Gutenburg, Is it going to be a mess?

turboguy
11-21-2018, 10:07 AM
This is a post made by a friend of mine on another site. It is appearing that there may be major issues ahead with those who use WordPress and those who create sites with WordPress.

Gutenburg
We've been testing it and it's going to be a cluster of disaster when they make it the core in Wordpress the next version, and that includes your existing site or sites. It's going to replace the Classic Editor as the core editor.

When we installed it on some test sites we made to test it on, we lost the images and most of the text and had a lot of white pages with nothing on them. It also broke a lot of the plugins and they stopped working.

There are fixes for it, we installed them and got our test sites back but this needs doing before Wordpress does it's next upgrade.

I suggest you make yourself a test site and see how it works for you.

Here are over 800 negative reviews about it on Wordpress, with 1000's more across the web, and the developers are not listening.

Two of our developers made honest reviews. Their reviews got deleted and they got blocked from the Wordpress forums. A developer friend of ours made an honest post and also just mentioned this would probably cost her to lose her business. They deleted her review and blocked her from the WP forums also.

Gutenburg Reviews (https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/gutenberg/reviews/?filter=1)

Owen
11-21-2018, 11:19 AM
We've been testing it as well and it doesn't look good... Not looking forward to the update. I have a feeling everyone who has been content and pages using the old editor is going to have problems when it switches over...

Harold Mansfield
11-21-2018, 11:49 AM
I was just talking about it with another WordPress guy yesterday, and we also agreed that it doesn't look good. I hope they bust butt to work out the major kinks before it's part of the core. On the other hand, my phone should be ringing off the hook if it launches and screws up everyone's site. So there's that.

Owen
11-21-2018, 10:06 PM
I was just talking about it with another WordPress guy yesterday, and we also agreed that it doesn't look good. I hope they bust butt to work out the major kinks before it's part of the core. On the other hand, my phone should be ringing off the hook if it launches and screws up everyone's site. So there's that.

Think about the dollar signs

turboguy
12-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Well 5.0 came out a few days ago and I have heard some stories of a lot of sites going down. It seems to affect sites using older themes more than newer ones. I haven't looked lately but it seems section of the the WordPress forum where people talk about Gutenburg is full of people with problems and crashed sites.

For most installing the classic plug in seems to help get things back to normal There is a plug in for Wordpress to handle everything. Here is a URL for anyone interested. https://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-gutenberg/

turboguy
12-15-2018, 10:01 AM
I will add that if your hosting company doesn't auto install new versions of WordPress many people recommend not updating WordPress until at least 5.1 is released which may give them some time to fix some of the issues.

turboguy
12-15-2018, 10:02 AM
I will add that if your hosting company doesn't auto install new versions of WordPress many people recommend not updating WordPress until at least 5.1 is released which may give them some time to fix some of the issues.

If someone has issues here is a guide on how to fix those issues.

https://gschoppe.com/wordpress/wordp...-repair-guide/

Harold Mansfield
12-16-2018, 11:54 AM
WordPress 5.01 is out now and it has some fixes and patches.
https://wordpress.org/news/2018/12/wordpress-5-0-1-security-release/

turboguy
12-16-2018, 12:19 PM
As long as my hosting companies give me the option I don't plan to be in any hurry to do this upgrade.

maidanez
12-17-2018, 03:55 PM
As long as my hosting companies give me the option I don't plan to be in any hurry to do this upgrade.

They just found a bunch of vulnerabilities so I wouldn't recommend not upgrading. However I was quite surprised to see the new new editor. My first thought was where is the box to type in and I ended up switching between code view and visual. There's always going to be issues with new layouts and designs but you have to wonder who this benefits. I'd have thought there were many other things to improve before the editor which always seemed reasonably workable.

turboguy
12-17-2018, 04:42 PM
My two main websites are both set to auto update and I got word today that they will be updating to WordPress 5.01. I could go in and take them off auto update but instead will just cross my fingers that I have those two websites running after the update. I do use the Avada theme on both and did have a notice from them (Avada publishers) that WordPress 5.01 should not affect the theme. My fingers are crossed.