PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Vermont

dbelmont
09-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Hello All. I'm Don Belmont from Barre VT. I describe myself as a broad based small business person. In my very rural market most folks have to have more then one iron in the fire to keep the fire burning.

My local businesses start with home inspection. As I say I am the owner and operator of WiseEyes Home & Property Inspections Inc. (http://www.wiseeyeshomeinspections.com/) . Under that banner I also do Energy Inspection, Mold Inspections and related thermal imaging inspections. Since this is Vermont I'm also working on getting an Equine Thermal Imaging (http://vermontinfraredinspection.com/) company under way. That's currently in a sample marketing phase but I think it shows promise.

In past times I have also been a building contractor and a custom remodeler which is what lead me into inspections when I reached a point where i didn't feel like getting up at 6AM anymore.

I also run what I describe as a small business consulting service. Focused on proper pricing/packaging/marketing for small service businesses . (When I say small business I generally mean the one person variety or at most a couiple employees.

Toward that end I have a spreadsheet tool called the Service Business Profit Pricing Modeler (http://servicebusinessprofitpricing.com/) that I offer for exactly that sort of business. It's purpose is to help an owner be certain that their service prices are priced for profit. Since I think failure to have a profitable price (or to even know what it is) is the downfall of many a small business.

On the consulting side of things let me say that I am always glad to help anyone who is trying to run a small business. It sure ain't easy and I respect anyone who gives it a go. Drop me a note on a general question and I'm happy to help as I can.

I want to try and differentiate the difference between paid consulting and free answers. Ask me about your prices and I'll tell you they need to be set at a profitable level. I will likely offer the opinion that to justify your necessary price you must be able to show the consumer the value. That's a free opinion (and just common sense IMO).

Paid consulting takes that general idea that is available in any good business book and crafts a specific answer for your specific market and business circumstances. It takes time and effort to first understand the problem and to develop possible detailed solutions that will work in your business. Anyone who is paying me has a priority claim on my time and attention.

But I am also running a business as well as helping others run theirs. The questions that get posed on this board and the answers (including mine) help me run my business so I am always trolling the boards for an opportunity to give meaningful help if I can. Since I gain from this board I am always glad to try and give back to make it a useful place for everyone.

Don Belmont
don@wisehi.com

vangogh
09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the forum Don. That's quite an introduction. Not only did we learn a lot about you but we gained some free advice as well.

Vermont is a beautiful state. It's been years since I've been there though.

It's interesting you moved from building contractor to inspector. Years ago I worked as an engineer in a small firm. One of the partners left to start a home inspection business because he realized he could make a lot more money that way with a lot less stress.

We're gald to have you here and thanks for joining the community.

dbelmont
09-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Don. That's quite an introduction. Not only did we learn a lot about you but we gained some free advice as well.

Vermont is a beautiful state. It's been years since I've been there though.

It's interesting you moved from building contractor to inspector. Years ago I worked as an engineer in a small firm. One of the partners left to start a home inspection business because he realized he could make a lot more money that way with a lot less stress.

We're gald to have you here and thanks for joining the community.

Well Thank You.

If only that were true today. Right now Vermont real estate market is essentially non-existent. One reason I've been expanding my efforts on the Equine Thermal Imaging as well as the business consulting. One has to do something.

I tell my clients I am always glad to help. Easy to say for it's true. And I've gathered a lot of knowledge over the years. Much by doing the exactly wrong thing but it would be shame to waste all that pain.

Don Belmont

KristineS
09-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the forum Don.

Spider
09-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Welcome aboard.

cbscreative
09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Welcome to our piece of real estate on the Internet landscape, Don. I didn't look on the map to see where your city is located, but Vermont is one place where they usually know how to spell Chittenden. I trust you will find this community a great place to hang out and discuss business.