PDA

View Full Version : websites to advertise on

gib99
05-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for a good website to advertise myself as an independent contractor, software developer. I've explored at least the following:

Browse by Category - Yellow Pages - AllPages.com (http://www.allpages.com)
Kijiji - Buy, Sell & Save with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds. (http://www.kijiji.ca)
craigslist: new york city jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (http://www.craigslist.com)

The first two look promising in the sense that I've seen others advertizing their software services there (or IT services, computer services), craigslist not so much.

If you were an independent contractor trying to sell your software programming services in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where would you post?

Thanks.

Harold Mansfield
05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
A lot of people here are freelancers selling/providing one service or another.

From my experience simply listing yourself on classified ad sites won't do much. That's not where people who need software/programming services are going to look. That's where people look for plumbers and to buy used couches. You may get lucky with one or two and I'm sure someone has a story about how they found this amazing client on Craig's list, but for the most part anything you get there is going to be cheap, difficult, and not worth it because no one who knows anything would look there for a professional programmer.

You have to be where your target audience is going to be looking.

1. First and foremost is your website and your SEO. People search for what they're looking for, and if you're not listed , can't be found, and don't make it clear what services you offer and now to do business with you, your phone will never ring. Your competitor's will.

2. I used to have luck with Angie's list for about 2 years. Although not typically where you would think people would look for website services, I got a lot of leads from it. Pure luck. I tried it and it worked out. No so much today. Now there's a ton of web designers on it and they've changed a few things. I actually haven't gotten a lead from there in about 2 years now.

The point is sometimes you can find a little honey hole that leads to work. Look for opportunities that make sense. Not just merely who will let you list yourself.

3. Freelancer sites. Many people who need tech work post jobs on freelancer sites. The good is that there are short term jobs listed. The bad is every freelancer and their mother is bidding on them, and the posters are generally looking for the cheapest price.

The bottom line is that after you realize none of those things are very helpful that eventually you will have to take the reins and be in charge of your own marketing. They may get a few leads here and there, but you're not going to stand out on someone elses website. The best way to separate yourself is with your own well designed and informative website, good SEO, proper targeting, writing articles, being active on social media ( the right way), Linked In (works for some people), making connections, networking, partnerships, sub contracting, referrals...it's an all of the above strategy.

The good news is that people are always looking for programmers right now for large and small jobs. Work on your presentation, maybe some branding, and communication skills...and never stop improving..and you give yourself a fighting chance.

Above all else, make it easy for people to do business with you.
Have regular office hours and make them known.
I suggest having a separate work number that you can use online, but do what you can. Just be available when you say you are.
Practice good, professional business communication.
Create a consistent, and clear presentation of who you are, what you do, and what potential clients can expect from you.

It's not easy and it's a lot of work, but you're not alone. Everyone has to do it or they don't survive.

gib99
05-08-2018, 12:27 AM
Thanks for your advice Harold,

I think I'll post to those sites anyway (couldn't hurt), but I won't rely on them being my main source of traffic.

Harold Mansfield
05-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Thanks for your advice Harold,

I think I'll post to those sites anyway (couldn't hurt), but I won't rely on them being my main source of traffic.

It can only hurt if the site is a know spam site or link farm. Also tread carefully what info you share. Most of these sites aren't known for their privacy and security features.
Otherwise, I agree that it probably won't hurt.

Zach_AnyPromo
05-08-2018, 12:12 PM
1. First and foremost is your website and your SEO. People search for what they're looking for, and if you're not listed , can't be found, and don't make it clear what services you offer and now to do business with you, your phone will never ring. Your competitor's will.

Look specifically into Local SEO. Depending on where you live, it might not be hard to come up when people search for "[Service] [City Name]" for the few surrounding cities. Google is also putting more emphasis on local results, so it'll show up in people's phones if you do it right.

jeffscott
05-10-2018, 11:53 PM
Avoid classified ads there is lots of popular medium out there that is really effective if properly implemented like active online communities, social media, blogging.

RjMaan
06-02-2018, 12:35 PM
I think you should also think about affiliate marketing. I will ask any blogger to post a review article of my software on his site and will give him commission if he successfully sell my software.

fourwaysmedia
07-12-2019, 04:37 AM
You could put yourself onto Fiverr and UpWork, then focus on running targeted ads and if you have enough website visitors every month install a fb pixel, hope this helps :)

eliquidsaleuk
08-20-2019, 07:05 AM
Search engines and social media are the best places, but if you can find a targeted audience for your market then go there.

Riley Lueilwitz
10-31-2019, 08:49 AM
Paid Advertising will definitely make your business popular in less time. Google ads will be the best option, if you are ready to spend more money as compared to other similar alternatives.

beetee
11-02-2019, 08:46 AM
You could put yourself onto Fiverr and UpWork, then focus on running targeted ads and if you have enough website visitors every month install a fb pixel, hope this helps :)

why are you posting on a thread that is over a year old? just curious...:confused:

fourwaysmedia
01-26-2020, 05:23 AM
why are you posting on a thread that is over a year old? just curious...:confused:

Maybe you should ask yourself why you feel the need to visit a thread over a year old and wasting your time asking somebody else? Ever thought about that 🤔!!

Gin9921
01-13-2021, 03:20 AM
I'd look into exploring back links of the other Programmers you mentioned. It will show you where they are advertising and back linking. Using Ahrefs and Similar site web tools, and similar 'tools' will reveal LOADS of information about your competitors.

christinarobert
02-24-2021, 07:45 AM
There are many websites that offer free business listings for independent contractors which you can explore. Another method would be that you could try websites like freelance or upwork to offer such services which tend to be quite useful. Plan on marketing yourself on social media as well. The more active you are on marketing the more chances to get noticed.

ShopLocalGTA
04-08-2021, 06:42 PM
If your located in the GTA try www.shoplocalgta.ca

Melisasmith
04-27-2021, 08:25 AM
Social media and paid ads are the best way to promote your website.

JvilleJeff79
08-04-2021, 08:48 PM
I think Google is your best bet, definitely. Just set up an adwords. They have a beginners version I use, does most of the work for me.

journalist55
03-18-2022, 09:57 AM
Hi Harold, I completely agree with you! You might get lucky on Craigslist here and there but it's not a reliable source to promote yourself. Gaining a following on social media platforms and developing a strong website is the most important thing to do.

localbizgrowth
04-22-2022, 10:41 PM
Google.. you can rank your website easily targeting your local area & good content plus some paid google ads you'll be getting a lot of new leads quickly

Pop Alexandra
09-19-2022, 09:29 AM
In case you're interested in PPC adverstising, you could also consider Studio Azura (https://studioazura.com/expertise/pay-per-click).