PDA

View Full Version : New Venture - Name Selection

Steve B
09-18-2009, 05:23 PM
A partner and I are starting a new service to capitalize on our customer base. We both have dog related businesses (electronic dog fencing and poop scooping). The service will be delivery of premium quality dog food directly to their door. Right now, we need to decide on a name so we can move forward with marketing material etc.

Please select from the list below. You can vote anonymously, but if you choose to comment - I'll be giving extra weight to votes from females (since females will typically be making this type of purchase decision).

Thanks for the help.

bacterozoid
09-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I liked Kibble Kart. Chuck Wagon was my second favorite, but I wasn't sure how it connected to pets. Kibble Konnection was ok, but I didn't like using the word "Connection" nor the way it was spelled. Li'l buddies didn't seem to fit the business function, either.

Hope that helps!

Harold Mansfield
09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I like Chuck Wagon, but it's too well known from the Purina Company. They even had a video game for it.

Patrysha
09-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Well it's unanimous so far...I voted for Kibble Kart too...but am not too sure about the double K. I mean it's not a triple K - but it may raise some eyebrows...

lav
09-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I like Kibble Konnection but would like to see Konnection with a C as Patrysha pointed out it may haunt you later. I think the name could be used for broader services in the future as opposed to Kibble Kart. I also think Kibble Konnection would be seen as a more serious business as opposed to Kibble Kart which sounds more like a Mom and Pop business.

I picture in my head:

Kibble Kart - husband wife team, start up business, Kart=old fashioned, fun

Kibble Connection - Strong business, professional business, Connection=ability to get me what I need efficiently

Of course this is just what popped into my head instantly. The name you choose will always be successful if you market it the right way, for example I would market the name Kibble Kart as a fun loving small business that has a personal touch. And I would market Kibble Connection as a very reliable service which is efficient and that has the resources and "Connections" to be able to supply quality products efficiently.

Just depends on how you want people to interpret your business

Blacktalon
09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Awkward question to ask someone who prefers cats XD

Kibble Konnection I seem to like. Change the K to a C and everything should be all good. Although Kibble Kart is kinda kwirky. It would stick in peoples' minds a lot more I would say.

I have a feeling that these four were shortlisted from a much larger list. What were the other selections you had?

Blacktalon

Evan
09-18-2009, 08:37 PM
I do like Kibble Connection, with the C.

Patrysha
09-18-2009, 10:47 PM
See I did picture it as Mom and Pop too...but that is what appeals to me. I like that my purchases are helping someone close to home rather than a big corporation (even if it sometimes is an illusion). That doesn't mean everyone sees things my way though...as always ymmv.

Steve B
09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Great input so far. Actually, the list wasn't all that long - we're not very creative. Kibble Carrier and Kibble Caddy were a couple that I remember.

We will carry cat food also - sorry I realized I wrote dog food in the original.

We will first target my partner's Poop Squad customers. He's going to there house once a week anyway, may as well drop off a bag of food and make money on both ends of the equation (so to speak).

Keep the votes coming in - we'll use this in our decision.

vangogh
09-19-2009, 04:46 PM
I voted for The Chuck Wagon, though my first impression would be the Purina commercials from years ago. It may also be that I can't resist a good Western. It seemed to describe the business well to me. It's something mobile with he food.

Both of the Kibble names could work, however the 'K' in the second work might make it confusing to some. You're naturally going to spell it Cart of Connection. You'll probably need to buy both versions of the domain and also work a little harder to promote the spelling of the name. I'm not big on the cutesy names, which both of these tend to be, especially with the 'K' spelling. However that kind of name might be best given the nature of the business. Cute is going to work when it comes to pets.

dynocat
09-20-2009, 11:59 PM
My vote (of the four) is Kibble Connection. To me. "connection" implies you offer a choice of brands and pick up and deliver from various suppliers. Or maybe you're offering only a brand you buy wholesale?

I buy only Science Diet for our cats. :) If I had a dog I'd still want to know I had choice of brand.

Jean-VA
09-21-2009, 06:35 AM
What about Kibble Kart? Although I would prefer it starts with "C" instead of "K".

When it comes to my pets, I prefer a personal touch from a Mom-and-Pop shop, someone that I like and make me 'feel' close to home. If I want a brand pet food made by big corp, I would go & get it from the grocery store along with my routine grocery shopping.

Although I do understand it's the delivery service you're pointing out. I could still ask someone to stop by at the house & pour the food that's sitting in the kitchen for the puppy (if I do want to stick w/ brand food).

Hope that helps.

Steve B
09-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Some clarification and updates.

Chuckwagon may not be an option anyway because there is a Rest. in KY with that name and they have it registered with the state. I found that out after making the survey.

We will be carrying only brands that are very high quality (Evo, Innnova, and possibly a third choice a bit lower priced than these two). They are not brands that are too easily available to the public. They are not at Wal-mart or the local supermarkets, but they can be found at Vet's offices, Rainbow Blossom, and one or two feed stores.

The price will be the same as the retail price. The delivery will, therefore, be free.

We need some more voting so we can break the tie!

KristineS
09-21-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm not fond of any of them, personally.

If you're selling premium pet food that isn't available just anywhere, then I think your name should reflect that. Kibble is kind of a generic term for pet food and, to me at least, it implies lower quality stuff. Lil' Buddies doesn't tell anything about what you do and The Chuck Wagon brings to mind the Purina commercials and, again just to me, sounds kind of rough and ready and lower quality.

If you're selling premium pet food and the convenience of having it delivered to your door, I'm thinking the name should be something a little more posh sounding. I'm not sure what that should be, but I'll think about it and see if anything comes to mind.

Business Attorney
09-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm with Kristine. I voted for Chuck Wagon because I thought kibble sounded too generic and low quality for an upscale service (and apart from the quality and corresponding cost of the food itself, people on a tight budget are not likely the ones who will pay for a delivery service). I agree, too, that Chuck Wagon seems to have a lot of baggage.

I would go back to the drawing board.

Steve B
09-22-2009, 01:32 PM
David - it doesn't seem to have registered your vote. The poll results are the same as yesterday.

cocoy
09-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm with the last 2 posters, Steve.

I'm a dog food snob. I feed my dog's Life's Abundance.

Those names listed reminds me of inferior brands.

Maybe a name or phrase that's affiliated with the dog sledding sport since that can relate to "delivery" ????? Just a thought. :)

Steve B
09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Actually Evo and Innova are considered a higher quality than Life's Abundance. They have a higher nutritional rating and don't use the fillers that Life's Abundance uses. They also are specific in all of their protein sources so you are sure what you are getting.

Regardless, I'm just trying to get input on a name that sounds the best.

cocoy
09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
I mean the names of the company on your poll, not the dog food you mentioned. just repeating what Kristine and David said.

cocoy
09-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I also want to say that if you're going to add "Premium Pet food at your door"
with the logo or advertisements then I don't think the name really has to have something that relates to "delivery" The phrase is a given on what kind of company it is.

Business Attorney
09-22-2009, 06:42 PM
David - it doesn't seem to have registered your vote. The poll results are the same as yesterday.

I voted earlier but I didn't comment at the time. I circled back :D

huggytree
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
i vote Kibble Konnection....the wife also agree's.....i dont mind the K in Konnection...It adds something different...cutting edge..hmmm

I also think it leaves the door open to future additions....its alittle more vague....