PDA

View Full Version : What Title Did You Give Yourselves When You Registered The Business?

KingHippo
08-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I have an option to pick my title now as I'm registering my LLC. What did you guys pick for your title? I guess I should pick CEO even though I'm going to be a one-man operation right?

vangogh
08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm registered as a sole proprietorship so I think I just listed myself as owner.

I guess CEO is right, though president might also work.

Aaron Hats
08-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Officially, I'm the Owner but everyone calls me the Top Hat.

vangogh
08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Top Hat :)

KristineS
08-16-2008, 04:15 PM
We have the same core management team for all the companies. Our owner and President is always the President.

KingHippo
08-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Heh well I went ahead and picked Chief Executive Officer. This is fun!

pete
08-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I once had a letterhead that listed me down the outer left column as everything from President to Janitor. I had about a dozen titles, all laid out just as a law firm or association may do it. Got a lot of comments.

Can't take credit for the idea, I stole it from Ed Perry of Ed Perry Auto Parts in Campobello, SC. Now in Inman, SC.

Evan
08-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Legally as an LLC, you're considered either a "Member" or "Manager". But whatever title you feel like writing down is fine.

I do agree with the using of all the titles for humor:
President, Principal, Partner, Proprietor, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operations Officer, Executive Vice President, Vice President of Red M&Ms, Secretary, Treasurer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Marketing Officer, Director of Technology, General Manager, Majority Shareholder, Member, Staff Accountant, Janitor (on the weekends)

orion_joel
08-17-2008, 01:20 AM
While i think that titles are good for some cases, especially when dealing with some larger companies, i think using a title that places you high can be a disadvantage in some respects. However it all depends on your target market and how they are going to perceive your title.

For my business i do everything i could call myself CEO if i wanted, however i simply went with Manager on my business cards, which had i thought more at the time i should have put sales manager or Operations Manager or something, i believe that it gives people a better impression then trying to trump up a title when they know you are a one man show. While i do not think that there is anything wrong with using any title you feel like, it can be better using something more to the level of the people you are trying to work with, until you can afford to employee people to fill this role and you are more administrative.

Just an opinion.

Ad-Vice_Man
08-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I put president on my official documents and Media Buyer as the Title on My Business Cards.

It's what I do... Plus it gives me a chance to have fun with the telemarketers who end up with my card.

TM "Hello Eric we met at the XYZ function... can i speak to your president?

Eric " I'll tell him you called"

Business Attorney
08-20-2008, 06:51 PM
We have an LLC and all 3 of us are both members and managers, but we call ourselves members to the outside world except when we are signing something official like a tax return or documents to open our bank account.

Rockman
08-20-2008, 07:25 PM
El Presidente

billbenson
08-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't recall having to use one; I'm a sole proprietorship.

If I had to use a title, I'd use manager. I have a partner. He has his own company, we work closely together. When he gets a customer who wants to talk to his boss, all of a sudden I'm his boss. The inverse is true. Or accounting manager etc. Depending on the type of business and size, you may not be able to play this game, but it works for me.

My partner owned a fairly large distributorship for 30 years. They sold to a local market. Nobody had a title on their business cards. It can make sense in a lot of cases.

the goat
08-25-2008, 04:38 AM
I chose President. CEO seemed a bit too much for a small business.

Marcomguy
08-28-2008, 06:57 PM
President.

Evan
08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Principal.

CADesign
09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Well, I guess this counts ...

Sole Proprietor

In jest, I do refer to myself as the CEO occasionally but more often as Chief Cook and bottle washer.

Dave

Dan Furman
09-17-2008, 05:05 PM
I always wanted to be the Grand Poobah. :)

My business card is more "me" than a company, so I really don't have a title.

KristineS
09-18-2008, 10:52 AM
My office title is Director of Marketing, but it morphs on occasion. I have also been the Director of Sales and Marketing, the Director of Customer Service and a few other things.

Personally I've always wanted to put Queen of the Universe on my business cards, but no one will let me.