PDA

View Full Version : I have sbforums.net. Should I change the forum URL to it?

Harold Mansfield
04-05-2018, 11:46 AM
At this point is there much benefit to using a shorter URL? I would keep the old one pointed to it as well.

turboguy
04-05-2018, 12:31 PM
I can see the advantage to the shorter name but the longer name is more descriptive. If I did a Google search and saw sbforums.net I would not know what it was.

cbscreative
04-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Ray makes a good point. I'm sure most people find us via search engine and even though they would see us in an appropriate results list, our longer URL does say exactly what this is.

evolvingdigital
04-06-2018, 12:00 AM
In most cases shorter urls are better. However, in a not so distant future all searches will be done via voice (Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri, etc), so I am not sure how relevant URLs will be.

<please set up a signature through Settings>

Paul
04-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Ray makes a good point. I'm sure most people find us via search engine and even though they would see us in an appropriate results list, our longer URL does say exactly what this is.

I have to agree here. I believe I found this site by searching "business forums" or something similar.

Harold Mansfield
04-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Also just the tradition of it. It's been small-business-forum.net for so long, it almost feels like blasphemy to change it. A reminder of the days when you HAD to have the keywords in the URL to have a chance.

It's not a priority. I'll mull it over for a while.

Business Attorney
04-10-2018, 02:51 PM
I'd keep it. I think the comments about the more descriptive, longer URL showing up in the search engine results is a very compelling reason to keep the existing domain.

I doubt that anyone types in the forum URL, which is about the only reason to consider using a shorter URL.

Owen
04-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Would be good to use as a URL shortener similar to goo.gl, but I wouldn't change the URL. This website already ranks incredibly well in Google, that's how I found this site in the first place.

However, have you ever considered looking into Xenforo? ;)

Harold Mansfield
04-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Would be good to use as a URL shortener similar to goo.gl, but I wouldn't change the URL. This website already ranks incredibly well in Google, that's how I found this site in the first place.

However, have you ever considered looking into Xenforo? ;)

Not really? What would be the benefit over what we already have?
I will however, upgrade to the latest version of V-Bullen as soon as I can.

Owen
04-18-2018, 01:11 AM
Not really? What would be the benefit over what we already have?
I will however, upgrade to the latest version of V-Bullen as soon as I can.
Easier to use. However, if you REALLY want a good forum script use Invision Power. Absolute masterpiece. There are about a billion benefits to using that than vbulletin. Just do us one favor: if you change the design, please don't make it complicated or fancy with animations and everything.

Also, can you make it so specific members can change their user title?

Harold Mansfield
04-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Easier to use. However, if you REALLY want a good forum script use Invision Power. Absolute masterpiece. There are about a billion benefits to using that than vbulletin. Just do us one favor: if you change the design, please don't make it complicated or fancy with animations and everything.
It will be the new version of V-Buletin. Here's an example: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ . I think it's best to stick with what people already know, rather than change to a new software and have the issues that you're talking about. Basically it's not broke. Maybe down the line if the forum can actually support itself rather than being an expense. Right now everything is out of pocket.

Also, can you make it so specific members can change their user title?
I will think about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

To be honest the biggest issue with that is it getting out of hand. Everyone is already free to create a signature with their business information and links. I kind of want to keep it there for now.

Did you know you can now add your company name to your profile info?
Go to Settings->Edit Profile and scroll down to the bottom. You will see a field for "Company Name".

Let's see how that works out first.