PDA

View Full Version : Go Cardinals!

Safety Guy
09-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'd like to thank cbscreative for the invite to this site.

I am a complete novice at the art of successful online marketing, advertising, and web building; and I'm totally gonna need your help.
I will do my best to learn quickly, but I still use words like "meta-what"...

I teach middle school band and love it, but to supplement that income, my neighbor hired me to advertise for his business online.
I started off with what I'm believing to be "Off-page"... using lots of subsite building, community advertising (twitter, linkedin, youtube...)

They have hired a "bigtime" web design company that seemingly is dragging their feet to build a cool site that works for the company, but in the mean time I'm doing what I can to drive business for them with no budget.

Of course I want to impress them and I need your help...please.
After 3 yrs, I have talked them into an $80.00 GoDaddy website taht I need to make work.

Will you please help me?
Drew

vangogh
09-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Drew. Of course we'll help or at least try our best. Now worries if you use words like meta-what. We all use words like that at times.

This isn't going to be what you want to hear, but the reality is an $80 GoDaddy website isn't going to cut it. You have to be willing to invest in your business if you want it to be successful. In all fairness we should see the site before making pronouncement so feel free to post a link to it. But do consider what you're hoping to achieve is akin to saying you want to win the Indy 500 with a 1965 Volkswagen. Probably not going to happen.

As far as that bigtime web design company. If they're dragging their feet as you say they probably aren't all that big time. It wouldn't surprise me if they're greatest skill is convincing people they can deliver. Websites don't take that long to design and develop in most cases. Unless your neighbor has a very large company and site there's no reason why the new site shouldn't be completed in a matter of a few weeks. Assuming of course your neighbor has delivered to the design company whatever they need to do the work.

Anyway despite the bit of bad news I feel like I've delivered welcome again and do share links if you want some better opinions.

Thanks for joining the community.

cbscreative
09-14-2009, 11:16 PM
You're welcome for the invite. I'm sure you'll find this community very helpful. Like vangogh said, it's no problem to say "meta what" because the members here will help you through the "what" part. I encourage you to post the site in the Website Reviews section and look at other areas of the forum for the other questions you have. By posting in the most appropriate sections, you will receive better responses.

I'm glad you took my advice to join this forum. Welcome aboard.

KristineS
09-15-2009, 09:13 AM
I've got to second Vangogh, and $80 website isn't going to cut it. If you're expected to get results and aren't given the tools to allow you to get those results, you're setting yourself up for failure from the very start.

It also sounds like they need to dispense with their current web design company and find someone who can deliver. Do they have a contract with this company? If so, they may want to read it over and see if there were any promises made about timely completion of the site.

We'll certainly help you all we can, but it sounds like you've got some things that need to be resolved before you'll be positioned for success.

Welcome to the forum, and we're glad you've joined us.

cbscreative
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I had to smile at vangogh and Kristine's comments because Drew and I had this conversation already, and they just said pretty much exactly what I did. When I first read of the $80 site (a GoDaddy WT special) and no marketing budget, I informed Drew that I expected he would get burned on this. He took it well and shows a genuine desire to learn which is why I invited him here.