PDA

View Full Version : Joystick camera positioning controller - options?

Fulcrum
01-29-2018, 08:02 PM
As the title suggests, I'm looking for options for a camera position controller. So far I have 2 options that I'm aware of.

1) ProductionVIEW Precision Camera Controller | Vaddio (http://www.vaddio.com/product/productionview-precision-camera-controller)
This is the recommended unit by the company that installed the new video and upgraded the current audio system. It comes with a price tag of a little over $3K plus installation. My personal opinion is this unit is overkill as we will never need more than 1 camera nor the ability to auto zoom/focus while rapidly panning.

2) https://ptzoptics.com/rs232-joystick/
The other end of the spectrum. $400 and very simple but how this would hold up to the option above, I don't know.

I'm looking for other options and if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to hear them. This is going into my church and needs to be relatively simple to use as none of us have any formal training.

HumaneHosting
01-29-2018, 08:37 PM
I have no idea why the company would recommend such a ridiculous device for your intended use. In that case just make sure you buy a good "enough" that it work with the unit they installed but other than that you shouldn't spend on features you don't need.

Fulcrum
01-29-2018, 09:19 PM
Those are my thoughts exactly, which is why I'm asking here to see if anyone has some experience with other options. I've got some time and we've only had 1 day with the new setup so I don't want to rush too quickly into something.

HumaneHosting
01-29-2018, 09:30 PM
Those are my thoughts exactly, which is why I'm asking here to see if anyone has some experience with other options. I've got some time and we've only had 1 day with the new setup so I don't want to rush too quickly into something.

Isn't there specification on the new unit that you can assure that joystick that your looking at will be supported?

For example for computer parts you can always find out specifications so you can understand if a CPU your looking will work on the motherboard you have. While an aftermarket CPU cooler will list it's CPU compatibility so you can make sure that it will even fit on the motherboard properly and so on.

I am sure if you have the original packing/materials (or even on it self) you can find out what Joystick will actually works on the unit.

Failing that you can also try searching "(model #/name) joystick controllers" you may even find a comprehensive list to go off of. Or at least a couple of controllers that are promised to work with your unit.

turboguy
01-29-2018, 10:37 PM
You might want to check out eBay. The $ 3,000.00 unit is $ 1200.00 on eBay. I didn't check out the other

HumaneHosting
01-29-2018, 11:05 PM
You might want to check out eBay. The $ 3,000.00 unit is $ 1200.00 on eBay. I didn't check out the other

Typically those are with no warranty left/void and been used for a number of years afterwards. For expensive parts like these I would pay direct or at least stated and trusted as having the warranty still good for you the end user.

Bobjob
01-31-2018, 03:13 PM
Only difference I saw from a quick glance is that the 3K one has buttons that light up. Might be useful in low light conditions. $2300 on amazon

Decent reviews on the Huddle.

Harold Mansfield
02-01-2018, 02:02 PM
I'm not a video guy but I approach hardware issues the same way.

What kind of camera do you have now?
What are you doing? What kind of production? Why do you need a remote controller for the camera?
What are you shooting?

I don't know much about controllers specifically, but it would help to understand the entire situation to see if there's other options that I know of that will accomplish what you need to do, or solve a specific problem.