PDA

View Full Version : Constructive Criticism in Blogging

thebusinesspantry
01-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Would you guys take a look at my blog and provide constructive criticism? I feel like as business owners, we tend to be afraid of hearing peoples opinion in fear if it being not what they want to hear. We just launched a new media company catered to new entrepreneurs wanted to build their business from the ground up. Check out the website. thebusinesspantry.com Tell us what we could do better? What things should we had and maybe reconsider?

:)

Fulcrum
01-15-2018, 06:25 PM
So aside from being an information portal, how, exactly, do you plan on monetizing this business?

I won't comment on the site design itself as I don't have enough experience building websites, but I will comment on content.

Contact Us Page:
No physical address and no phone number. Very fly by night feeling from this.

On the profitable businesses page:
1) Ebay? The heyday of "easy" money from Ebay has been gone for a long time. Sure, some people make a few bucks, but is this really a route to suggest to an aspiring owner.

2) Tax preparers can make some quick cash Jan-Apr but to extend out to bookkeeping/accounting these people should/must have education and certificates.

3) Massage therapist/personal trainer limits the owner to whatever they are personally able to do. Some do make good money, but the majority of massage therapists (not sure for personal trainers) end their career after 5ish years because their hands and knuckles give out.

4)
Are you a professional at repairing anything that breaks? Then perhaps you could start your very own handyman business. In this industry, you are mainly paid by the hour and the rates can vary. But in all cases, you remain pretty busy as your skills are valued and almost always in demand. All you need is some basic tools and instruments, a steady hand, and a reliable vehicle to zip around the areas in the capital where you will be most active. The awesome thing about this business, you can always partner up with another repair business and take advantage of their franchising opportunities. This means they will be sending clients your way for a percentage (or fixed sum) of your winnings. Win-Win situation if you ask us.

Yeah, I'm not sure where to even begin here. If this is what is being taught in MBA programs than demand your money back.

Here's the reality. You won't remain busy with paying work all the time. When it rains, it pours; and when it's dry, it's can be worse than an extended California drought. When your customers take a holiday, you're on call. This means you may have to work, possibly even pay an employee to work, on stat holidays when everyone else is off. Christmas just ended and I wound up taking only the 24th and 31st off when my initial plans were to take the week of Christmas off. A one person show can expect to put in 60+ hours/week with only half of that spent on paying work.

Basic tools and instruments will run a reasonably well equipped service guy 30-50K depending on tools needed and size of truck. Don't even get me started on "partnering with the competition".

5-6) Don't know enough about event planners and virtual assistants to say a whole lot. Aside from the turnover here, I would expect these industries to be saturated as well.

With all that said, I think you need to go out and get some real world work experience. The information that you present is the same stuff that many one and done posters come here and give. I don't say this to be mean or to detract you from what you want to accomplish. Stick around and you will glean more practical advice than any school will be able to teach.

Paul
01-16-2018, 03:37 AM
Along with Fulcrums comments I also don't want to sound mean. However the information on the site does seem a bit, well pedestrian. It's simplicity is a little overwhelming, especially with blank pages. Some of those business ideas are quite old and worn out and are not as easy or lucrative as you may think.

I think a new business owner would want more comprehensive information about the actual process of starting/running a business. Working with suppliers/employees/customers/landlords etc. How to control inventory, calculate margin and markup, inventory turn, understanding and negotiating vendor terms, how/why to incorporate and so on.

I think you have to up your game a little because right now there isn't much information on the site for anyone to truly benefit. If this site is a lead up to consulting you will need a well rounded grasp of business. Of course I don't know your business experience in that area.

As Fulcrum mentioned, ask questions here and somebody will know the answer.

vangogh
01-16-2018, 09:53 AM
The site looks nice enough. I assume it's an off the shelf WordPress theme. I wouldn't have the link to the blog showing until there's some actual content there, but otherwise the site looks fine. I didn't read any articles, but I clicked in and scanned a few they. Like the site, the content seems fine, though mostly generic from what I saw.

I have the same question as Brad. How are you planning on making money with the site? I'm guessing ads, since I see a few, but are you planning on offering services or something else? If advertising is the plan, then how are you going to build traffic and a repeating audience?

Is there something specific you'd like to know?