PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Apps

Paper Shredder Clay
09-13-2009, 06:14 PM
What are your favorite iPhone apps? Which ones do you regret buying? Which ones can you not live without?

I find myself regularly using NewsStand, Jobs, SimplyTweet, and PushMail. PushMail is great when using it with a email service such as GMAIL which allows you to create filters that way you can have your email pushed to you without all the junk ones you don't want pushed.

vangogh
09-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I've only bought 2 apps so far. One's an astronomy program and the other is Tweetie. I don't regret buying either.

I don't have a favorite app yet. I've only had an iPhone for a couple of weeks so not enough time for a favorite. The ones I use the most so far are apps for the NY Times, teh Wall St. Journal, and NPR. I'm also in and out of ones from ESPN, MLB, and the Sporting News so I can catch scores while I'm out. The rest I haven't used enough yet to call any favorites.

Paper Shredder Clay
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I've only bought 2 apps so far. One's an astronomy program and the other is Tweetie. I don't regret buying either.

I don't have a favorite app yet. I've only had an iPhone for a couple of weeks so not enough time for a favorite. The ones I use the most so far are apps for the NY Times, teh Wall St. Journal, and NPR. I'm also in and out of ones from ESPN, MLB, and the Sporting News so I can catch scores while I'm out. The rest I haven't used enough yet to call any favorites.

Tweetie is pretty good. It was the first Twitter app, I purchased. Since then I have bought Twittelator Pro and SimplyTweet. Twittelator Pro has a ton of features, and SimplyTweet is pretty good with Push notification which makes it great.

vangogh
09-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't get the big deal about push notifications with Twitter. Unless I'm misunderstanding what they do I'd think they would just get annoying very quickly to be alerted to new tweets. Is that the basic idea behind them or am I misunderstanding?

Twittelator looks very nice. I can see why you bought it and why I might end up buying it too.

rezzy
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I dont have AT&T or an Iphone. So no iphone apps here. :)

vangogh
09-15-2009, 04:32 PM
I've only had one for a couple of weeks, but I'm lovin' it. It really is a mini-computer. I imagine phones running Android and Palm's new Pre are also good phones, but I'm not planning on switching any time soon.

rezzy
09-15-2009, 04:36 PM
There are rumors of an Android phone coming to my network, so I will just sit and wait its arrival!
Plus there are some new exciting phones coming soon.

vangogh
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Just not the same.

It'll be interesting to see where phones are in a few years. Maybe phones will essentially have the power of today's netbooks in them.

Paper Shredder Clay
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Well most Twitter apps that use push, only pushes when someone mentions your Twitter name or DM's you on Twitter. So its convenient if you do not have a lot of traffic coming directly at you, but if you do, then yeah I wouldn't have it to push to you.

I don't get the big deal about push notifications with Twitter. Unless I'm misunderstanding what they do I'd think they would just get annoying very quickly to be alerted to new tweets. Is that the basic idea behind them or am I misunderstanding?

Twittelator looks very nice. I can see why you bought it and why I might end up buying it too.

vangogh
09-16-2009, 06:13 PM
That makes more sense. Still not something important to me, but I can see where some would find it useful. It's easy enough to just check replies or DMs when you want. I turn off the notifications on my desktop clients too since for me they just get in the way.