PDA

View Full Version : The repeal of Net Nuetrality is happening and it's not good.

Harold Mansfield
11-27-2017, 02:53 PM
The FCC is hell bent on repealing Net Neutrality and are using a bunch bull and selective arguments to do it. I'm reminding of how we were lied to about TV and how we're all now paying to watch commercials because in many areas you can no longer receive free over the air broadcasts clearly.

If you like opening your browser on your computer or mobile device and being able to go anywhere on the internet you choose without worrying about being redirected, throttled or otherwise blocked from accessing certain websites, then you are in favor of Net Neutrality.

If you want potential customers to be able to find and access your website whenever they want without the need of having a special internet package, then you are in favor or Net Neutrality.

If you work online and enjoy being able to access anything you want, work on client websites and projects, and doing research freely without data caps then you are in favor of Net Neutrality.

Basically Net Neutrality prevents ISP's from picking and choosing which sites they will allow you to access or which get preferential treatment and speeds. One internet. Free and open. All access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p90McT24Z6w

If you are in favor of keeping the internet fair and access to it unlimited you should BOTH call your Congressman and let them know how you feel, especially if this has the potential to severely impact your own business...
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

...and let the FCC know how you feel. They've made it extremely difficult and confusing to leave comments, but you can follow this link directly to the comment page:
ECFS (http://gofccyourself.com). (The link was registered and created by the show "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver").

vangogh
11-27-2017, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure if calling our representatives will make a difference at this point. Pai seems intent on removing net neutrality regardless of what we all think. He ignored millions of comments already and was only interested in those that could make a legal argument, which ordinary citizens really can't do. I'm hopefully the changes won't hold up in court. He has to offer a good reason for making the change so soon after the previous changes were made.

One thing I'm personally encouraged by is that 19 cities in the state of Colorado, including Boulder, are looking into the feasibility of setting up our own internet service. We voted this year to set aside money to figure out if it's possible. My hope it that more cities across the country do the same. I think the internet should quality as part of our infrastructure given how dependent we all are on it.

Paul
11-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Internet providers already offer various levels of "bandwidth". I think I had to upgrade to be able to use Netflix at one time. Same as cable, different levels of service for more channels, same for phones. Seems to me that's where the net is headed.

I can accept that, but I would be very upset about redirecting me, without my knowledge, to their choices. How would I even know?

Harold Mansfield
11-29-2017, 11:09 PM
I can accept that, but I would be very upset about redirecting me, without my knowledge, to their choices. How would I even know?

Because if for instance you have Comcast, you'll be able to access Hulu, but if you want to access Netflix you'll have to buy a more expensive package.
This isn't about simply paying for higher speeds. It's about paying to access certain content and websites.

BizAdvisor
12-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Honestly, I couldn't care less either way. Why..? Because history has taught me that when something like this happens... innovation happens.

Remember when cable companies tried to make everyone pay for cable or have no tv..? What happened..? The firestick happened. Streaming happened. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime happened.

So now the telecom companies are at it. That's fine, bless their hearts for trying. I think them in advance for lighting a fire for the next great innovation.

Harold Mansfield
12-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Honestly, I couldn't care less either way. Why..? Because history has taught me that when something like this happens... innovation happens.

Remember when cable companies tried to make everyone pay for cable or have no tv..? What happened..? The firestick happened. Streaming happened. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime happened.

So now the telecom companies are at it. That's fine, bless their hearts for trying. I think them in advance for lighting a fire for the next great innovation.

In the meanwhile people like you and I will just have to accept that people may not be able to access our websites should they start packaging access like cable channels.
And that it may cost us more to work online everyday, or God forbid they institute data limits like they do on mobile devices.

You may be right that eventually someone may come up with something. Between now and then a lot of businesses will probably close putting a lot of people out of work.
Between the proliferation of hacks and ransomware that's already decimating small businesses, this is just another potential nail in the coffin for a lot of people who depend on unrestricted internet access to make a living. Or educate themselves.

JMO of course.