PDA

View Full Version : e-Newsletters

Aaron Hats
09-10-2009, 01:56 PM
If you're not doing an e-newsletter for your business you're missing the boat. I know that's a broad statement considering the variety of businesses we have here but I think it does apply to most types of businesses. I've been using Constant Contact for quite a while now and am very happy with them. I normally send out a newsletter every other week and always get orders from it. I just checked and in the last 30 days I've received over 40 orders from our newsletter. Now, you could say that 40 orders isn't a lot considering the number of subscribers on my list and you're right. I'm always looking for ways to get better open rates and click rates but take those 40 and multiply that by your average order amount and that adds up. What would you do with 40 new customers/clients/orders?

Aaron

Steve B
09-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I do the same Aaron. I used to use Constant Contact also. I also agree that a regular newsletter is very effective.

I got a huge increase in my open rate and results when I dumped Constant Contact and just sent e-mails directly from my normal e-mail account. I'm sure your list is considerably larger than mine and you will want to use more graphics than I - so one of those services is probably your only choice. In my case, my list is small enough to send them in a more personal looking e-mail (using the bcc line to prevent anyone's e-mails from being displayed). I always send useful information as the primary topic of the e-mail - then at or near the bottom I remind them of other services they may want to get from me.

vangogh
09-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I haven't sent out a newsletter, but know I should. I've been waiting till I'm closer to having products for sale but that's an excuse since there's no reason I can't get a newsletter started first. It would be easy enough to write an article once a month and then link to some blog posts or even forum posts here.

KristineS
09-11-2009, 04:38 PM
We create one in house and use a mass mailing program to send it. I agree it's a great way to connect with customers and we always see a rise in traffic and sales after one goes out.

One note, you do have to be careful you don't send the e-newsletters out too often. You have to find a balance. If you go too long between mailings, people forget you. Too often and your opt-out rate will go way up.

Aaron Hats
09-12-2009, 10:16 AM
That's right Kristine. We usually send one every other Thursday. That seems to work best for us with the exception of Christmas and other special events. We also try to link to our blog and Facebook page on the newsletter so people know of the multiple ways to keep in touch.

Paper Shredder Clay
09-13-2009, 05:48 PM
When do you usually dispatch your enewsletters? Where I have worked, they would on Tuesdays and Thursday, either early morning or right after lunch. They figure this will insure higher success rates that they will be opened.

vangogh
09-14-2009, 01:36 AM
This isn't from my experience, but rather the experience of others who've passed it on to me. Usually Tuesday through Thursday is the best time to send any kind of correspondence you want to have read. On Monday people are still adjusting to being back at work and on Friday people are looking forward to the weekend. In between they'll be most focused on work related issues.

My own sense says late morning/early afternoon would be the best time, but I'm not basing that on anything other than my sense.

Aaron Hats
09-14-2009, 08:25 AM
We usually send them out around 5am on Thursdays. Recently, I sent one out on a Friday morning (9am) advertising a 2 day sale and had great success.

KristineS
09-14-2009, 08:56 AM
That's right Kristine. We usually send one every other Thursday. That seems to work best for us with the exception of Christmas and other special events. We also try to link to our blog and Facebook page on the newsletter so people know of the multiple ways to keep in touch.

We do the same thing with our blog and Twitter feed. That way people can keep up with us between newsletters. It seems to work quite well.

Paper Shredder Clay
09-14-2009, 10:34 AM
We do the same thing with our blog and Twitter feed. That way people can keep up with us between newsletters. It seems to work quite well.

That is a good thought, I didn't think about social networking campaigns, I can see what you are saying.

KarenB
10-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Aaron, great post!

It's funny I should read this now, right after a prospect contacted me out of the blue and said, "Karen, do you have a newsletter? I'd like to subscribe." I had to respond that no, I did not.

My biggest challenge right now is finding the time to produce valuable content that would be of benefit to my list.

I heard one expert say that his weekly blog posts are his primary source of content and that his monthly newsletter is basically snippets of content from that blog.

I know that I just have to MAKE the time to do this very important aspect of keeping my brand in front of my clients and prospects. One of the ways I am working toward this goal is by gradually expanding my own business by increasing my team.

Great reminder, Aaron. Thanks!

aussieroo1
10-27-2009, 11:11 PM
e-Newsletters can reach a lot of members especially if you've built a huge database of subscribers. This method can also be used to boost traffic by placing a logo or image which is linked to the landing page of a website you're trying to promote. The key is to make the email interesting so it doesn't get flagged as spam and people actually take time to read it.

vangogh
10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
The key of course is being able to build the database of subscribers.

greenoak
11-02-2009, 07:54 PM
that really sounds good and inspiring aaron...40 orders is wonderful...

....we have been pretty regular this year, emailing about once a month....wish more would open it tho....we are at about 30%.....
we have about 1000 on our email list....and our aim is for them to come to our brick and mortar store...i tried coupons and as usual they flopped..customers do mention getting the email tho...
ann