PDA

View Full Version : What is Bootstrapping

Smith's daughter
10-24-2017, 10:16 AM
I know that it has something to do with websites or so..but the person explaining it to me did not explain well. So i will ask again what is bootstrapping?

tallen
10-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Bootstrapping means to succeed using only your existing resources, as in "pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps." For example, in the context of general business, starting a business with no outside investment or loans, using your own money to get started and then plowing the revenues generated by the business back into the business to further grow the business.

The term bootstrapping is also used in other fields such as computer programming, with a similar general meaning (building new and better tools using the tools that you already have).

Smith's daughter
10-25-2017, 03:56 AM
Bootstrapping means to succeed using only your existing resources, as in "pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps." For example, in the context of general business, starting a business with no outside investment or loans, using your own money to get started and then plowing the revenues generated by the business back into the business to further grow the business.

The term bootstrapping is also used in other fields such as computer programming, with a similar general meaning (building new and better tools using the tools that you already have).

Thank you very much for explaining. You put it into much more easier words than the person who was explaining it before. Cheers!

KOMPAR
03-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Exactly as Tallen is writing, it is about financing your business with the business own means for as long as possible. Works very well in case one wants to build a business case before seeking external capital.

ayoubafandy
03-15-2018, 11:13 AM
In the context of business, bootstrapping is the act of starting a business with no money — or, at least, very little money. It certainly means starting a business without the help of venture capital firms or even significant angel investment. It means plowing back into the business the money earned from customers.

Harold Mansfield
03-15-2018, 05:52 PM
To add to what was said above, Bootstrapping also means sacrificing your lifestyle in order to fund and operate your business when times are lean. Looking back I remember all the weekends I ate top ramen, couldn't hang out with my friends, paid bills at the very last minute (or just after shut off), and lived like a pauper when things weren't hitting yet. A lot of people aren't prepared to leave it all on the field like that. It's lets you know what you're really made of.

James.C
03-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Bootstrapping requires a lot of creativity. How can you stretch the small amount of money you have? How can you get the machinery, supplies, materials without paying full price? Consider buying things secondhand. If you're starting a restaurant, maybe get ovens and ranges secondhand. Get an assortment of chairs and tables from a Goodwill and give your restaurant an eclectic feel. Check out estate and bankruptcy auctions. Then, once you start growing and having success, you can use your revenue to upgrade. At this point, banks and investors will be more willing to fund you as well, so you can looking into debt financing and investors.

davidlee21
03-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Bootstrapping in business means starting a business without external help or capital. Such startups fund the development of their company through internal cash flow and are cautious with their expenses. Generally at the start of a venture, a small amount of money will be set aside for the bootstrap process.

PatrickM
03-12-2019, 04:50 PM
It means being innovative, creative, adaptable - not buying your way out of problems or opportunities but thinking your way out!

It doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have to live a degraded lifestyle or eat rice every day. But you'll only use your allocated business resources to operate and grow the business.