PDA

View Full Version : WPA2 WIfi Krack and what it means to you.

Harold Mansfield
10-22-2017, 02:08 PM
As many of you have probably heard, WPA2 has finally been hacked. WPA and WPA2 is pretty much the standard of most wifi today...home, business, public..petty much all of us.

It's not all bad news. The attacker has to be in range of your wifi and it's is wifi, doesn't work if your plugged into Ethernet.
Also hear that Microsoft already has a patch and has been distributing it with normal updates.

The thing that bothers me most is all the devices that may not get updates anytime soon. I would think my Google and Amazon stuff will get an update, but what about all the other things i have on my wifi?

Here's a video from Hak5 that explains it in detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caRlWlKkw34

vangogh
10-23-2017, 09:58 AM
From what I've read and seen our main protection is to keep our software up to date and that most companies were already producing fixes. You're right to wonder about every device you have that connects. Some probably won't receive updates. Maybe another form of encryption will take over for WPA. I remember when we all used to use WEP until that was easy to crack.

It makes you wonder how safe anything is. No matter the technology, sooner or later someone finds a way to crack it. It's on us to be more aware of what we're doing, but unfortunately the more technical things get, the less likely the average person us going to understand what they need to do to protect themselves.

Harold Mansfield
10-23-2017, 11:27 AM
I can answer that second question pretty easily. We are not safe and the average person (and small business) doesn't take it seriously. which makes everyone they know, call, email, message or connect to in any way also unsafe.

Now that I've been studying security I can say confidently that there's a way into just about every home or business out there and it's generally pretty easy. It's harder when everything is wired, but wifi and all the devices that we have that connect wirelessly are a huge problem.