PDA

View Full Version : Search results

Aaron Hats
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I haven't been as faithful as I should when it comes to my blog (or visiting this site) but just found some motivation and thought I'd share.

On 8/27 I wrote a blog post and used the "All-in-one SEO" Wordpress widget vangogh had added to my blog. It's actually been installed for quite a while but I forgot it was there. Within 12 minutes the post was #1 on page 4 doing a Google search. On 8/29 that same search showed the post at #7 on page 3. Today that same search shows the post at #10 on page 2.

That same day I went to a previous blog post and added some info to the "All-in-one SEO" widget. I then did an appropriate search and found the post at #1 of page 3. The next day it was on pg 9. Today, using the same search term it's #8 on pg 1.

Today I did another new blog post and within minutes a G search showed the post at #2 on pg 3.

Some of the above searches found a product listing on our GetaHatOn.com domain ahead of the blog post on AaronHats.com but some showed the blog post first.

My blog posts aren't very long and they're usually just announcing some new arrival to the store but these very promising search results have reminded how important it is to blog.

I found the search results interesting and thought some here may as well...or maybe not.

Aaron

KristineS
09-08-2009, 03:01 PM
The company blog I write for EnMart consistently places higher for many search terms than the static product pages. It also seems to get indexed faster. Blogs, as you rightly pointed out, can be a great tool, not only for communication with customers, but also for placing your company and products more highly in the search engines.

cbscreative
09-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Good info, Aaron, and welcome back. I did notice you haven't been active here lately, and I'm glad to see a new post from you.

billbenson
09-08-2009, 05:11 PM
What does the SEO widget actually do?

yummytork
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM

It allows you to add a unique title and meta description to your blog posts and pages within WordPress. There's actually a better 'all in one' seo plugin for WP, it's called the 'Platinum SEO' pack, and it adds those 2 functions stated above, as well as a host of others, including:
1. No indexing of search results, as well as on a page by page or post by post basis
2. Allowing better architecture for your categories and archives, which is duplicate content
3. Adding the Noodp and noydir meta tags to your site (which is a small benefit I know, but it saves alot of time)

billbenson
09-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks

2. Allowing better architecture for your categories and archives, which is duplicate content
Other than the no dup, how does it improve the category structure? This is something I'm struggling with in Zen Cart. Way to many categories, but I need most of them at the top level.

vangogh
09-09-2009, 01:38 AM

Pretty much what Yummy said above. It also lets you said default page titles across your site for posts, categories, archives, etc. It also lets you noindex categories and archives. It does a little more than allow for titles that can be different than page headings and adding meta descriptions and keywords, but that's probably it's most popular use.

I also use a plugin called Robots Meta, which lets you change the index,follow for individual posts and pages as well as categories, archives, tag pages, etc. It does a few more things as well. Sounds like it does similar things to Platinum SEO pack.

Bill with the architecture it's the duplicate content that's the key with these plugins. With all the different ways WordPress (and other content management systems) can display content you can end up with a lot of duplicate pages. You generally don't need all of them being indexed so being able to set something like your archives as noindex can help a lot. You can code the noindex right into your theme, but for most people the plugin will be easier.

Aside from the noindex it comes down to you choosing your categories and site architecture. It's probably a topic for another thread, but here's the gist. You can create themes around keywords and phrases when you set up your site architecture to help search engines better understand what your site is about. I'm watching ESPN at the moment so let's go with a sports example.

Say your site sells sports merchandise. One obvious way to set up your architecture is to have sections for baseball, football, basketball, hockey, etc. And then each section could dig down into baseball jerseys, baseball caps, baseball equipment, etc. The same could be done for the other sports.

Another way to categorize the same site would be to have main categories of jerseys, caps, equipment and then dig deeper to have jerseys/baseball, etc.

Is one way better than the other? Not necessarily. Depends on the keywords and phrases your targeting and how well it all fits together. I'd sooner organize your content in a way that's best for your visitors. Whichever makes the most sense for real people is probably the best to use.

Harold Mansfield
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Just to add, All in one SEO or Platinum SEO is a must have plug in for any word Press blog. You absolutely should not be blogging without it. It needs to be automatic right from the initial installation.
Here is the link to the Word Press Plug ins Repository:
WordPress › All in One SEO Pack WordPress Plugins (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/)

@Aaron Hats : Good to see you around again.:)

Aaron Hats
09-09-2009, 01:30 PM
UPDATE: The blog post I did yesterday just resulted in a sale of that cap. With our shopping cart I can see where the shopper came from and he came from the blog. Can't beat that with a stick.

KristineS
09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
UPDATE: The blog post I did yesterday just resulted in a sale of that cap. With our shopping cart I can see where the shopper came from and he came from the blog. Can't beat that with a stick.

Congratulations! Isn't it fun when something you write inspires a sale.

Harold Mansfield
09-09-2009, 05:05 PM

..and you stopped blogging because....? (he asks in bewilderment) :rolleyes:

Aaron Hats
09-09-2009, 05:51 PM
..and you stopped blogging because....? (he asks in bewilderment) :rolleyes:

I know, I know. Just lost my passion for a while.

Harold Mansfield
09-09-2009, 07:44 PM

It happens.
Hey I remember when you started that blog and weren't sure if it was necessary, or would do anything for you.
You have done a good job with it..I'm actually proud of it like it was one of mine and if I am not mistaken, it has served you well.

Keep up the good work Hats, and don't be such a stranger 'round here.

KristineS
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM

That happens on occasion. Sometimes you have to step away for a little while so you can come back inspired and fresh.

I second eborg, don't be such a stranger Aaron. I miss hearing what's happening with your business.

greenoak
11-02-2009, 09:12 AM
is this just for wordpress? how about blogger?
ann

vangogh
11-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Ann the All in One SEO plugin is only made for WordPress. One of the reasons many of us recommend using a self hosted version of WordPress is because you have the control to add plugins like this one and those plugins are written by a large community around WordPress.

Blogger does have some kind of plugin system and perhaps there are some seo related plugins. I don't know Blogger well enough to point you to any specific one, but if you search 'seo plugin Blogger' you might find something.