PDA

View Full Version : New phone - Note 5

Bobjob
09-18-2017, 04:32 PM
I recently purchased a Note 5 to see how I liked it, and I love it. I am concerned about security. I downloaded Security Master - Antivirus because I don’t know any better and it had lots of ratings. Can anyone recommend a different / better one?

Also, apparently VPNs are important. Can anyone recommend a VPN provider?

Harold Mansfield
09-18-2017, 05:12 PM
I have a Note 5 and have been using Android phones since Gingerbread.

I currently use Lookout, which was offered through my carrier for a year free which has an included VPN.
You can get it as a stand alone too.
https://www.lookout.com/

In the past I used Avast Mobile Security which I was pretty happy with.
Much of the features are free. I think I paid $79 yr for the VPN and I believe that was across all my devices.
https://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security

Additionally I recommend having it always locked and use the PIN or Finger Print reader to unlock.
And use the regular Google drive back up for your files and apps and such.

Another big threat to your security is app permissions. A lot of apps ask for permissions to access phone, messages, contacts, and other things that make no sense for what they are supposed to do.Be aware of what permissions your apps are asking for, and keep frivolous apps to a minimum, and delete ones that you never use.

The 5 also has device maintenance which works just fine. Definitely use it. One less app that you'll need.

Bobjob
09-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Thanks Harold. I noticed some apps were asking for permissions that didn't seem necessary. What do you do when you need the app to do something for you but you do not want to give it permission? Best I can tell if you deny it permissions, it will not work for you.

vangogh
09-20-2017, 07:50 PM
In that case you have to decide which is more important to you, your desire not to share the information or what the app will do for you. The odds are very high there's another app that does something similar and let's face it, we all survived for a long time without any apps at all.

I have an iPhone, but the same things happens. Apps ask for permission. I do what Harold does. If I don't see a need for the info they want, I say no. If I do understand the need and trust the company, I'll give them permission. Trust is key. There are plenty of apps that ask for information they need to work, but I don't know the developers behind the app well enough to trust them. When that happens I also refuse permission and delete the app to look for another.

Harold Mansfield
09-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Yep, I agree with VG. If I don't see a reason for the app to have access to the things that it's asking, I don't allow it and look for something else. Very few apps are the only game in town or the only one that can do that particular thing.

I'm going to trust Google and Microsoft more than anyone. Yes, they ask for lot of information but in my eyes it's worth it so that the apps I use will work without interruption. Also I'm not trying to be anonymous, just want to know who is tracking me and why.

I have Google rewards installed. It's an app that pays you to answer surveys. But it's nature it wants to know everything about you. But there's one thing that it does that I can't agree with. Every time I leave the house to go anywhere, the next day I'll get a survey that says "Which of the following places have you visited recently?" and inevitably a place I was just at is in the list. That's too creepy for me.

To me the biggest offenders are social media and camera apps that need access to all your contacts, access to your calling features, location, and ask if they can post on your behalf. I know that technically it needs that permission if you want to make posts via the app, but some make the effort to tell me that "this app will not post anything without your permission". If they can't add that language I don't use it.

I also NEVER sign into things with Facebook, don't use Facebook messenger, and keep my profile pretty sparse and don't post things about my life, family, locations, and activities. I know that's the point, but it's too much. I also don't use my image online anywhere.

You just have to decide which things are OK, and which are too much for your personal taste and usage. I'm a paranoid freak and I know it, so you don't have to mimic me. I have a tendency to over do it. I also know it's probably all an exercise in futility, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop paying attention and just give up and let "them" have and know everything.

Bobjob
09-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Much obliged fellas.