PDA

View Full Version : "Avatar"

Steve B
08-16-2008, 06:43 AM
I noticed that I was one of the only regular posters on this board that didn't have a little picture next to their name. So, I figured I should fix that and take yet another step toward joining the 21st century.

I've been bugged by the word "Avatar" and didn't really know for sure what it meant. I actually avoided finding out on purpose, because I suspected it was a term made up for the computer and internet world (I also don't like the word "Blog"). I was right - I looked up the definition (via the internet, of course). For any other cavemen out there like me, here is the definition.

"An avatar (abbreviations include av ,and avi and "avvie") is a computer user's representation of himself or herself, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games,[1] a two-dimensional icon (picture) used on Internet forums and other communities,[2][3] or a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs. It is an “object” representing the embodiment of the user. The term "avatar" can also refer to the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of an Internet user."

O.K. - so after several attempts at re-sizing you can all see my avatar. It's an icon that I use in my advertising (it's on the side of my van for instance). It represents a dog enjoying the freedom and security he gets after having one of my fences installed.

Anyone else want to share the significance of their avatar (now that I decided to embrace this word I'll probably overuse it for a while!)?

P.S. - it warmed my heart to see that "Blog" got caught in the spell check of this internet forum. Perhaps it isn't really a word yet!

Leatherneck
08-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I like your avatar steve. It works well for your business. Mine is simply my logo that one of the fine members of this forum designed for me years ago. :D

KristineS
08-16-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm just using purple flowers at the moment because I like the color purple and flowers. Someday I'll come up with an avatar that has some significance.

orion_joel
08-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I just kinda of super condensed my header on my website. it was kinda of hard to fit in 80 x 80 but have managed to get it there i think.

cbscreative
08-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I noticed your avatar, Steve. Nice job. Mine of course is my logo, which I recently redesigned. I'm still working on a revamp of my site which will include the new logo.

Spider
08-16-2008, 11:24 PM
...I've been bugged by the word "Avatar" and didn't really know for sure what it meant. I actually avoided finding out on purpose, because I suspected it was a term made up for the computer and internet world (I also don't like the word "Blog"). I was right - I looked up the definition (via the internet, of course). For any other cavemen out there like me, here is the definition.
"An avatar (abbreviations include av ,and avi and "avvie") is a computer user's representation...Unfortunately, Steve, 'avatar' is not a term made up for the internet.

avatar: (from the Sanskrit 'avatãra' -descent; and French 'avatarati' - he descends, or crosses over.) 1. the incarnation of a Hindu diety. 2. an incarnation in human form. 3. an embodiment of a concept or a philosophy, usu. in a person. 4. a varaint phase or version of a continuing basic entity.

So, you can see that the words, avatar, has been around a whole lot longer than the internet.

My avatar is a representation of the world, expressing my travels to 39 different countries and having lived in 7 different countries on 3 continents.

Steve B
08-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Good catch - I must have only clicked on the definition that was specific to computing. It does sound a little fancier than some other computer terms (Blog, Google, Yahoo).

Evan
08-17-2008, 11:23 AM
My avatar is, well, myself!

vangogh
08-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I think my avatar is pretty self explanatory. It's a self portrait of myself...Oh wait a minute...That's not really me is it?

Given the username vangogh and wanting an avatar that was a little more unique than the defaults I went out looking for Van Gogh paintings I could use. A self portrait made the most sense to me and that's the self portrait he did I liked the best.

I've often thought if using a real picture of myself or using my logo, but I think the Van Gogh images has built some recognition for me over the years so for now it stays. One thing I have thought of doing is taking a picture of myself in showing a similar profile and then working an artistic version of my real profile into the self portrait.

Steve B
09-07-2008, 04:20 AM
I think we have more than twice as many members as when I first posted this thread. Perhaps we can get some updates on the newer members avatars.

Paul Elliott
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm not artistically creative enough to come up with anything other than a picture of me taken by someone else. :)

Paul

vangogh
09-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Isn't it an art to pose for a photo?

Blessed
09-09-2008, 04:57 PM
My Avatar is the head of the dog in my logo - The full dog is just too small, so I use a head shot for my avatar!

Paul Elliott
09-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Isn't it an art to pose for a photo?

My biggest problem with posing is to hush my mouth!

Paul <Into the closed mouth the foot entereth not!><weak grin>

vangogh
09-11-2008, 12:25 AM
I think I've managed to still put my foot into a closed mouth at times.