PDA

View Full Version : Blog Posts: Long or Short?

Paul Elliott
09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
The optimal length of a blog is something that attracts heated debate. Here is a discussion (http://www.copyblogger.com/long-or-short-post/#more-4481) that points out that it isn't the length but proper handling of the topic with good, tight writing.

Jay Abraham, the master of the 20-page direct mail copy, demonstrated the fallacy of arguing over length. He teaches that a person will read a piece of any length as long as it interests him or her.

Our main object is to write something that attracts our target readers and is of interest to them.

Paul

vangogh
09-02-2009, 10:58 PM
A post should be as long as it should be. There is no right or wrong when it comes to the length of a blog post. I've read great posts of all length and bad posts of all length. It comes down to the author's style.

I remember a few years back when people would argue this seriously as though the success of your blog could hinge on how many words your posts were. You should write as long as it takes to get across what you want to say. If it takes one sentence, great. If it takes 20 pages, that's great too.

KristineS
09-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I have to agree that a post should be as long as it takes to get the message across. If you write badly, two sentences is too long. If you write well, 2,000 pages may not be long enough. It's about the quality, not the quantity.

orion_joel
09-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Agreeing with all here, the length should be dependant upon conveying the message you want to convey, with clarity and meaning. In a way that the audience is comfortable with reading.

I say comfortable with reading because, it can vary. Some people can sit and read pages and pages of information, while others want to facts in as few words as possible.

vangogh
09-06-2009, 04:12 PM
And it really depends on the content of the post. You can't write a quality tutorial while skipping all the details. A tutorial will generally be a longer post if it's to be useful. On the other hand sometimes you have a quick tip to share that only needs a few sentences and a single line of code. The same is true for other topics and other types of posts.

I know some people try to analyze this to death and attempt to find the ideal length of a blog post, but I don't think there's any such thing. In the end the more important thing is to make the post interesting, entertaining, useful, etc. It needs to be a good post, not a specific length post.

Paul Elliott
09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
It needs to be a good post, not a specific length post.

Very well stated, VG.

Paul

Paper Shredder Clay
09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I totally agree, say what you want, but then no more.

That is why children and adults can read a 800 page book, who sometimes can't read a different book that is only 200 pages.

The optimal length of a blog is something that attracts heated debate. Here is a discussion (http://www.copyblogger.com/long-or-short-post/#more-4481) that points out that it isn't the length but proper handling of the topic with good, tight writing.

Jay Abraham, the master of the 20-page direct mail copy, demonstrated the fallacy of arguing over length. He teaches that a person will read a piece of any length as long as it interests him or her.

Our main object is to write something that attracts our target readers and is of interest to them.

Paul

rebecca16
10-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Yea, that's true. One question, how many people don't read books which are about long, I mean 800 pages, and how many love to read short books about 200 pages. Jus want to know the percentage, so that it can help me in my business.

KarenB
10-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Another option, if you have a lot of content, is to break up the long article into smaller chunks like a series to be continued in the next post. That way if your readers are interested in what you have to say, it will pique their curiousity as to what's in the next installment and may drive them back to visit your blog again.

vangogh
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I've written series before and they can be a good way to keep your blog going for awhile. Usually my series are all still separate articles, but by being part of a series it kept me focused on the one topic and gave me ready ideas for a few weeks.

And hopefully they did raise the anticipation of my readers and keep them coming back for the next article in the series.

KristineS
10-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Series can be a very useful tool. It can also be useful to pick a topic and ask guest posters to each provide their own take on whatever the subject is. In both cases, you end up with ideas and content for a few posts, and hopefully your readers get hooked and keep coming back to see what today's post has to say.

Paul Elliott
10-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Yea, that's true. One question, how many people don't read books which are about long, I mean 800 pages, and how many love to read short books about 200 pages. Jus want to know the percentage, so that it can help me in my business.

Rebecca, that would depend on the audience sample, i.e., your customers. Look at how many pages the Harry Potter books are versus many of the current business books.

Someone reading a novel is prepared to go through all the twists and turns of the story. Whereas someone reading for business information wants information quickly and not to be entertained with plots and subplots.

Paul

aussieroo1
10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I think it depends on the content of the blog entry. Personally, I prefer entries that are concise and straight to the point. But then again, if you can't miss out on important details, I don't see a problem with publishing a long entry.

vangogh
10-27-2009, 10:39 PM
It does depend on the type of content and the audience. I've seen blogs with both long and short posts do well and I've seen them fail. I actually prefer longer posts assuming the content is good throughout. I find a lot of the short posts are fluff and not worth reading.

Then again I've always liked Seth Godin and he's made a living on short pithy posts.

In the end it's the quality of the content that makes or breaks a blog.

billbenson
10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I started reading a recommended post that was "somewhat" relevant to me. Thing is, it was just a lot of text. I'd rather see a series of informational bullets with more detailed info below them. By that, bullets that are a summary of the info below them. If I want more info, I can read below the bullets.

Paul Elliott
10-29-2009, 12:39 AM
I'd rather see a series of informational bullets with more detailed info below them. By that, bullets that are a summary of the info below them. If I want more info, I can read below the bullets.

Excellent point about the format of a document, Bill. Make it easy to consume in whole or in part.

I once wrote a short book which was really 3 books in one. There were 3 levels identified by different typefaces and sizes.

The first part of each chapter was a sort of summary. You could go to each chapter and read only that typeface and have a very good understanding of the material.

The second level was another typeface and delved into the material more deeply in each chapter.

The most complete discussion in each chapter was the 3rd typeface.

A person could read as deeply in each chapter as he or she desired and leave the rest alone. Conversely, the reader could read all of every chapter for a complete knowledge of every element of the subject.

That format gave the reader a choice.

Paul