PDA

View Full Version : Shipping and packaging questions

DanaMac
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I am transitioning from a service business to a distributor/retail business. We will be distributing our product to retail shops, and also direct to consumers from our website. Having always been in a service business, I'm a little out of my field. One of my tasks is to find the best shipping and packaging for us.

I have set up an account with FedEx, and we get a good discount for being a trade association member.

My main concern is finding the right shipping products. The free boxes from FedEx and USPS are too small for most of the products. And I'd like to get away from the cardboard boxes anyway. For the size we need, they will add some weight, and I hate seeing boxes wasted. But it may be necessary. Any idea where to find the strong Tyvek (sp?) type bags to ship in? The products are not fragile, but could possibly get torn if not protected. Do they make those bags in appx. 30"-36" lengths? Appx. 14"-18" wide? Any additional costs or concerns with shipping using these?

vangogh
08-25-2009, 06:24 PM
A little out of my element too, but I did a couple of quick searches. A search for Tyvek led me right to Dupont (http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/). I also see plenty of results when I searched 'Tyvek distributors' and it looks like you can get the bags private label so you can have your company name on the packaging.

DanaMac
08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
A little out of my element too, but I did a couple of quick searches. A search for Tyvek led me right to Dupont (http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/). I also see plenty of results when I searched 'Tyvek distributors' and it looks like you can get the bags private label so you can have your company name on the packaging.

Their site is horrible for trying to find some specific sizes and types of envelopes/bags.

vangogh
08-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Sorry. Just happened to be first on the list. Try the search for Tyvek distributors' Some of the results I clicked on looked promising.

Steve B
08-26-2009, 03:24 AM
I don't know much about shipping materials, but I'm guessing it's not an accident most of the companies use cardboard. I'd also guess that cardboard might be a bit easier on the environment since it's reused and recycled quite regularly.

I remember when the internet started to really take off I wanted to figure out a way to invest in cardboard companies because of people buying things online. I never did it - I don't think I had any money to invest anyway.

DanaMac
08-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Sorry. Just happened to be first on the list. Try the search for Tyvek distributors' Some of the results I clicked on looked promising.

I've found very few in the larger size we may need. I've been researching it for a couple days, and it's kind of frustrating. I can find boxes in every size and shape under the sun. But a box that is about 30"X20"x6" really adds some weight which adds to shipping costs. May be the way we go though.

DanaMac
08-26-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't know much about shipping materials, but I'm guessing it's not an accident most of the companies use cardboard. I'd also guess that cardboard might be a bit easier on the environment since it's reused and recycled quite regularly.

The Tyvek bags claim to be recyclable, #2. But many people might not realize it and throw it away. They also claim it is ok if they are incinerated, but who is really going to burn it. And it also doesn't leech into water if in the landfill.

Other poly bags, I'm not sure of. Uline.com has some that we may sample.

KristineS
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I was going to say Uline. We buy things from them all the time and they seem pretty reasonable.