PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

DanaMac
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey - new to the site. I've owned and run a service based business for 15 years. Getting into a new distributorship/retail business, which I have no experience in. So I have (and will have more) questions to ask. I've followed the forum for a few months, and will be on here a little more now. Thanks in advance for any help!! I'll do what I can to help too.

vangogh
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Dana. Looks like you're not too far from where I am. Glad to know we didn't scare you off after following us for awhile. Ask away when you have questions. Odds are someone here will have an answer to help.

Thanks for joining the community.

DanaMac
08-25-2009, 05:34 PM
No way you'd scare me off. Forum I'm in for the service industry I'm in gets brutal. Absolutely brutal. Thanks, and hope I can learn and contribute.

vangogh
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
We try not to let this place get scary. Years ago when I first discovered forums there were a few where all people did was argue with each other can get downright nasty. The only thing you learned was who didn't like who.

There's a conscious decision here to be the opposite. Disagreement is great. Insults are not.

cbscreative
08-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I know what you mean about other forums. Even if it's not arguments, just the negativity can be enough to keep you away. I used to participate in a graphic design forum until I got tired of the cynical attitude of a lot of my peers in design.

Welcome to a place where you won't need to worry about all that.

Steve B
08-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Welcome DanaMac,

How about some additional detail about your business? What is the product? What are the details of your experience with the service business?

DanaMac
08-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Welcome DanaMac,

How about some additional detail about your business? What is the product? What are the details of your experience with the service business?

The new biz is distributing a New Zealand based backpack. The type for back country hiking and camping, some mountaineering. Not sure if it's ok to post it, but please remove if so. Aarn USA (http://www.aarnusa.com)

Service business is a lawn irrigation repair and service company. No new installations. 2 employees. I'm burned out and frustrated with the industry, customers, weather affecting it, need a challenge.

KristineS
08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Dana. Welcome to the forum. We're a pretty good and civilized group here, so you shouldn't find a whole lot of trolls.

cbscreative
08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm burned out and frustrated with the industry

I know how that is. I got fed up with graphic design in the 90's and took a few years off to get my bearings. I even started training as a network admin back in 01 (I had re-entered graphics by that point). Although I decided to stay with graphics, I got away from the production end which was burning me out. The 5 years of university classes did a lot to shape the business I'm now in that I started in 02.

I suppose a lot of people (maybe most) go through that questioning period.

I think your 15 yrs of business experience will help a lot with your new venture. Sure, the Internet will be a new experience, but you can learn and prosper. We have a lot of knowledge pooled together on this forum to answer your questions.

When I saw your backpacks, I thought you might want to see if you can make inroads to the Boy Scouts. My son is a Scout, so I know they use good equipment. It might be sealed up pretty tight with established suppliers, but you never know.