PDA

View Full Version : Server Language

phanio
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Does anyone know the difference between Apache and Linux?

orion_joel
08-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Linux is an operating system, while Apache is software which allows linux to operate as a web server, to hold and distribute the contents of a website.

bacterozoid
08-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Correct. Proper comparisons would be (Apache vs IIS) or (Linux vs Windows). Apache and IIS are both web servers. IIS belongs to Microsoft, and Apache is much more awesome and runs on most platforms.

vangogh
08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
What they said. Linux the operating system is mainly there to interpret communication between the software on top of it and the hardware below it. Apache is the actual web server software.

I'm guessing your computer runs Windows. Windows is the operating system. When you want to write a letter you probably open Microsoft Word or similar, which is the software. Same thing with Linux (OS) and Apache (software)

phanio
08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks - I am thinking about adding some functionality to my site - but it requires Apache (which I never heard of) and i know that my hosting is running Linux. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

bacterozoid
08-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Let us know if you need any help, and good luck!

vangogh
08-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Odds are your server is Apache. I want to increase the odds though so I checked some tools I have and can see you are on an Apache server.

Most Linux servers will be running Apache, though they don't have to. I believe your hosting is through GoDaddy and I know they use Apache on their Linux servers. Apache runs about 2/3 of all the sites online I believe.

bacterozoid
08-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Here's some good data:

Web Server Survey Archives - Netcraft (http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html)

vangogh
08-27-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm actually a little surprised that Apache has lost some market share since it's high a few years ago. It seems to me so much easier to work with than Windows servers or at least it seems like Apache lets you do more. Maybe easier wasn't the right word. Still close to 50% market share for Apache.

billbenson
08-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Apache looks pretty constant in recent years. Looks like Windows has been loosing market share recently. Hard to tell on that chart, but I wonder if Sun isn't showing some increases?

nighthawk
09-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm actually a little surprised that Apache has lost some market share since it's high a few years ago. It seems to me so much easier to work with than Windows servers or at least it seems like Apache lets you do more. Maybe easier wasn't the right word. Still close to 50% market share for Apache.

The stats in that graph are a little misleading - if you look at the graph, the recent drop in Apache coincides with the sudden appearance of "QQ". Having looked that up, QQ is an instant messaging client, widely used in China - so this should be removed. Going back to 2007, you can also see the appearance of "Google". I am fairly sure google uses customised open source products, ie linux and apache. They have probably just renamed the headers so it identifies itself differently. factor all these in, and the market share for Apache will probably look a lot more constant.

I do however notice a large surge in M$s market share - I can only assume this is due to the release of ASP.NET (released 2002, surge appears to happen 2005), which is a pretty decent development platform and has helped win a few customers for microsoft.

Thanks - I am thinking about adding some functionality to my site - but it requires Apache (which I never heard of)

What functionality are you looking to add? A lot of what can be achieved in Apache can also be done in other webservers, so im struggling to think of something that "requires apache". (although as mentioned by others, you are already running Apache - so you're good to go!)

vangogh
09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Oh guess it's true about statistics telling the story, but not the whole story. Shows how easy it is to make any point you want by tweaking numbers a bit.

Makes sense too that the Microsoft rise coincides with asp.net. That did help MS gain more server share. It's likely still the top choice for enterprise servers.

I think you're right too about Google. They probably tweaked things and added their own headers like you suggest, but I do think they use some *nix/Apache combination.