PDA

View Full Version : Web Development Services that Teach You

kautif
04-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Hello,
My name is Autif. I'm a web developer and I'm trying to offer something a little bit different. I've been to a few conventions looking for clients. A lot of them use web builders and WordPress. So, what I'm trying to offer is inspired by that.

The link below leads to a 6 question survey to determine how much demand my business idea has. It takes about a minute and a half to 2 minutes to complete. If you're curious about a unique alternative to simply hiring a web developer or using a web builder, please submit the survey. Thanks for your time.

https://autifkamal.typeform.com/to/XSxRZA

Harold Mansfield
04-29-2017, 05:54 PM
I thought I could answer as a new business owner to try and give you feedback, but I can't. My answers would be skewed. But having been a website developer for a few years, maybe I can offer you some insight into the kind of feedback that I get from business owners who are less than tech savvy.

I've tried to teach my clients a little more than the basics over the years, and it's frustrating because many just don't make the time, or care all that much. Some start out with good intentions with the main motivation being the thought of saving money, and then it becomes less and less of a priority. Over the last 8 years I have 3 clients who are sponges when it comes to learning about managing their website. They read the things I send them, are attentive when we do training sessions, and even ask to learn more stuff.

Everyone else? They don't care. I used to put tutorials in their dashboard, but they never watch them. Most just keep paying me to do the same maintenance things over and over again. Which of course is fine, but it also means they'll go longer without updating something and generally won't call until something breaks.

I used to and still feel like you that small business owners should want to know how to manage the basics and maintain their own website, and I've tried every way I can to include or offer the extra help and training to no avail.

Maybe you'll have better luck keeping people interested, or targeting the ones who are, better than I have over the years but I gave up trying to teach, and just send invoices to do the same things over and over again.

kautif
04-30-2017, 01:19 AM
Everyone else? They don't care. I used to put tutorials in their dashboard, but they never watch them. Most just keep paying me to do the same maintenance things over and over again. Which of course is fine, but it also means they'll go longer without updating something and generally won't call until something breaks.

Well, I might be in for a rude awakening as I try to research this. I'm still kind of new to web development. I'm pretty sure you have more experience than me. If I see the same pattern, I'll try to back off of this idea early so that i don't get too hung up on it. Thanks for your sharing your experience.

Harold Mansfield
04-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Well, I might be in for a rude awakening as I try to research this. I'm still kind of new to web development. I'm pretty sure you have more experience than me. If I see the same pattern, I'll try to back off of this idea early so that i don't get too hung up on it. Thanks for your sharing your experience.

Or maybe you'll succeed where I failed. Hands on is the only way to know for sure and to get the right feedback that will either help you develop a winning strategy, or cut bait and pivot to what does work. Won't know until you try.