PDA

View Full Version : Working at home and house construction

Dan Furman
08-24-2009, 12:45 PM
oooh... they don't mix at all.

I'm like at half speed here (and stuff is piling up :( ). I didn't realize how distracting it would be, etc. They've been at it a week, and will be here another week or so... almost done with the siding, half done w/ the roof, have a big window to put in, then the bathroom (that'll be an adventure.)

Plus, I'm now up at 7am, because these guys start early. I always took full advantage of the "make your own schedule" thing and awoke at 9am or so. This makes it very.... odd. I am not, and have never been, a good morning person.

But it's getting there. This will end, and it'll all be worth it :)

KristineS
08-24-2009, 12:51 PM
That doesn't sound like fun Dan, but you're right, it will be worth it when it's done.

It is an interesting problem, because for most people, the workers would be working while the homeowners were out of the house at work. I'm not sure what the solution is when you work at home. Go on vacation, maybe?

cbscreative
08-24-2009, 01:27 PM
I think I would go for the vacation idea. That may very well be in my future before too much longer because I have a pretty good list of projects I would like to have done and don't want to do them myself.

nealrm
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Dan,
When they get really noisy, grab the laptop and head down to the local library. When I am away, I sometime use GOTOMYPC. It allows you to use your home computer remotely. They do offer a one month free trail.

vangogh
08-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I'll echo Neal. Is there anywhere you could go for awhile to get away from the noise? I realize you'll have things you need to do that have to be done in the home office, but are there some tasks where you can grab a laptop and head out to find a quiet place for a few hours?

Dan Furman
08-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Not really... I'm not a "laptop in the cafe" kind of person. I'll just complain instead. :)

It'll pass. And I'll forge ahead. Got more done today already that I thought I would. I'm getting used to it (and soon it will be over.)