PDA

View Full Version : Website Creation

dominique_in_biz
04-24-2017, 01:41 AM
I'm in the process of starting a business. I need a simple website that looks great in both a desktop and mobile browser. I'd prefer to have it built. Please recommend me some companies and feel free to share any of their work.

Harold Mansfield
04-24-2017, 01:02 PM
I'm in the process of starting a business. I need a simple website that looks great in both a desktop and mobile browser. I'd prefer to have it built. Please recommend me some companies and feel free to share any of their work.

This thread can easily get out of hand with spam and link drops and we can't have that.
If you give us more information about your business, the purpose of your website..such as to tell about your company, sell services, generate leads, sell products..whatever.

"I want something simple that looks great" is what everyone says. You'll need some details about what you actually want. If you don't know, then it;s time to sit down and figure it out. If you go to any web designer with just that, they'll quote you the highest possible price.

With more info we may be able to suggest a direction, maybe even a platform to check out.

It could be that you can DIY with something like Squarespace, or need something custom which can mean a variety of different CMS's, or build platforms. Website's are not one size fits all, and every website designer doesn't specialize in every possible thing. So, in order to get you in the right direction, you need to know what you want and need in a website.

But we don't want a bunch of link drops from every web designer on the web who happens by this thread via search soliciting for business to build a general, non-descript website.

Help us help you.

dominique_in_biz
04-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Hi, Harold. Thanks for taking the time to review and provide direction. Here is additional info. If you need more, please let me know.

Business: Event Planning and Catering

Site Purpose: Inform of available services to generate leads. Maybe include a web form to schedule an appointment for a quote.

Website design: Site will state information on services/packages. I would like it to be mobile friendly. I could try building my own site, but I don't want the headache of formatting issues between a desktop and mobile version.

Thoughts?

dwhs
05-25-2017, 05:05 AM
I would find a web designer locally. So you can see them in person. Maybe craigslist or Google maps.

wrongguy
06-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Why don't you try to build the website by your own. I do not think that you need any specific knowledge for that. Moreover, mainly all websites have design both for desktop and mobile. Thus, you should not worry about that. I use wordpress builder. It is not difficult at all. Moreover, there are many video guides, how to work in it. If you want a designer or web developer: search on any freelance website like UpWork or something. There is a rating, so you will find a good professional

billbenson
06-23-2017, 10:32 PM
I see no reason that a designer needs to be local. There are good designers on this forum. It doesn't sound like you need someone with incredible skill. The thing is though, the more you know about web design, the easier it is to manage a web designer. Wordpress is a good place to start.

DJNotApplicable
07-15-2017, 09:09 AM
You could just go with a company like wix or wordpress. Also your domain company probably has web design services.

turboguy
07-15-2017, 05:03 PM
With a lot of the web site builders they are designed automatically to be responsive so they look fine on both a desktop, pad or phone. I have never used Wix but if you go that way just look for a template that is "responsive". I have worked with Wordpress and nearly all the temples free or paid are responsive. You should have little difficulty finding a template that is already built for event planning and catering. All you would need to do is change the photos and text. I think Wix has a lot of tutorials and there are a ton of tutorials for Wordpress on YouTube.\

Just as an example this link should take you to 90 Wordpress event planning templates. Even if you decide you want to have it done looking through these and finding some you like might help you give your web person some idea of what you like in a web site.

https://themeforest.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&referrer=search&view=grid&sort=sales&category=wordpress/entertainment/events&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIleu3k5iM1QIVFUsNCh2Pwg1UEAAYBCAA EgI5IvD_BwE

DJNotApplicable
07-16-2017, 09:43 AM
I would make sure whatever website you create/get created adheres to web standards.

If you are not compliant, it will hurt your google ranking.

Tech_Boy
07-20-2017, 04:50 AM
Do yourself a favor and save the money you want to pay a web designer.
I can tell you from my own personal experience that creating a website is much easier than you think! yes it will take more time and you'll have to watch a lot of youtube videos, but the experience and knowledge you'll gain in the way is 100% worth it!
Today anyone can create a simple wordpress site, add content, add pictures, choose a theme and layout and all that, and you have a website that works both on pc and mobiles!

mkg4dxb
08-29-2017, 02:55 PM
I think you can get a website done using upwork you will find many website designers there and just find a good one with good reviews.

fossfolks
10-03-2017, 12:16 AM
I aim for building sites for people in Wordpress, then showing them how to add content. When it's all done, I just ell them to call me when it breaks. :)
I'm saying Wordpress, and I mean the downloadable one that you can stick on whatever web server you want, not wordpress.com. I like the option of being able to zip up a site and move it to wherever I want (and have when a web host pulled "Price is going up 100%" or some other shennanigans). Also, you have COMPLETE control of the site design. I don't know if that's true with wordpress.com or wix. You can have a designer build you a layout you like, then hack it up into a wordpress template.
Whatever you do, I'd urge you to make sure you have the car keys, and if you hire it out don't let your web person hold the site hostage. Just like being able to jump ship hosting-wise, you ought to be able to migrate easily to another designer if you want.