PDA

View Full Version : Adding that "Personal Touch"

bacterozoid
08-24-2009, 12:06 PM
What types of things do you do to add a personal touch to your business? For instance, a few weeks ago I went to an auto mechanic (I'm new to the area and their business) to get my oil changed. A week later, I had a postcard in my mailbox with their logo on the front, a handwritten "thank you" on the back, and $20 off my next service.

I felt great when I got the postcard and am most definitely going back again. I like the idea so much, in fact, that I think I'll probably do the same thing for my new web design freelance business.

What other things do you folks do to help give that personal touch and little bit of edge?

KristineS
08-24-2009, 12:45 PM
One thing I've noticed that seems to work well, at least for us is responding quickly to inquiries. I can't tell you how many people are surprised when we respond to a phone message or e-mail inquiry within minutes. Apparently, a lot of companies that do what we do don't respond for hours if not days. Being quick to respond seems to have sort of a halo effect with our customers. The quick response carries over to the rest of our service.

Dan Furman
08-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Good topic!

For my business, when I send a final project, I send a detailed "read me first" that goes over the project, my thoughts, etc. People like that.

When I do web copy, I make the page look like a website - many times, the client has gone to their designer and said "make it look like that". I even buy pics from istockphoto for the client. They weren't expecting these things, so they are always really surprised when I do that - it just really puts a stamp that I was "worth it." (I also do these things because they help me write - it's soooo much easier to write web copy if I'm looking at an MS Word faux webpage complete with a pic than it is a blank page.)

Harold Mansfield
08-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I know I have mentioned this before, but I am still a big fan of the thank you card , with a few business cards in the envelope and a discount offer, or free "something" with a referral.

Actually I like (1) business card refridg magnet, and (10) business cards.

I just think that, especially in an age when many people may have clients that you will never meet, or are in another city, that people will carry your card to pass along if they are happy with your service.

I know it sounds "old school", but how else do you get people in another city to remember you at a moments notice when their peers say, "Hey, you wouldn't know anyone that does_____, would you ?"

Harold Mansfield
08-24-2009, 01:17 PM
One thing I've noticed that seems to work well, at least for us is responding quickly to inquiries. I can't tell you how many people are surprised when we respond to a phone message or e-mail inquiry within minutes. Apparently, a lot of companies that do what we do don't respond for hours if not days. Being quick to respond seems to have sort of a halo effect with our customers. The quick response carries over to the rest of our service.

...and the first impression can carry the mood for the duration of the relationship, and even give you more slack, should you need it in a pinch.

bacterozoid
08-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice touch, Dan. I think that's a great way to show your customer you really cared about the project.

Other practices are great, too.

KristineS
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
...and the first impression can carry the mood for the duration of the relationship, and even give you more slack, should you need it in a pinch.

Actually it has. We've run into snags and I've had people say "Well, you're so great about everything else..." and be perfectly fine with our solution. We've found that once we get a customer, we rarely lose them. A lot of that is due to our attention to detail and our response time. Our customers tell me we make them feel like their business matters to us, instead of just saying that their business matters to us. There is a difference.

Harold Mansfield
08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Actually it has. We've run into snags and I've had people say "Well, you're so great about everything else..." and be perfectly fine with our solution. We've found that once we get a customer, we rarely lose them. A lot of that is due to our attention to detail and our response time. Our customers tell me we make them feel like their business matters to us, instead of just saying that their business matters to us. There is a difference.

That reminds me of a story. When I was in college I was waiting tables at a Fridays in Ft Lauderdale, and a 4some came in for lunch. I had them laughing from the time they sat down (I had much more personality back then), got some drinks out quickly, and apps. Turns out there were old friends, hadn't seen each other in years...anyway.

....one of the guys had some kind of expensive white Camel hair jacket, and had it on the back of his chair. He then proceeded to order a glass of red wine (I think it was like $15 a glass..that's top shelf at a Fridays) with his lunch.

Yep ! I never dropped a thing before that day, could even balance plates up my arm and on my head, but when I went to set the wine down, my elbow hit the nearby column and I spoiled half the glass of wine on his $1200 jacket:eek:

The guy never got mad, he actually was concerned for my well being, since I was very upset. He even told the manager not to worry about the cleaning since I had been so great and they were having such a great time...one of the other gentlemen even remarked to him "That's what you get for wearing a $1200 jacket to Fridays. Just take it off the money you owe me from that last round of golf" and they all laughed...and still dropped a $100 tip ! (They drank all day)

That's an extreme case, and they were of course drunk, but if I had sucked, or been anything less than personal and helpful, that could have been a really ugly, and expensive situation.

That was 20 years ago, but I never forgot how powerful a good first impression can be for the life and success of a relationship.

KarenB
08-29-2009, 01:29 PM
What other things do you folks do to help give that personal touch and little bit of edge?

Good question.

The theme of the great previous answers is about adding that 'personal touch' and a sense of genuine caring from you so that your customers feel important.

This type of 'personal caring' hasn't changed in centuries, and I doubt it ever will. People will always want to feel listened to and expect top quality for their dollar. Our own clients are no different.

Keeping them on the radar...and making them FEEL as if they are still on your radar is of utmost importance.

With regard to your business as a web designer, you could:

Send out postcard reminders (as you mentioned). A great site for this is SendCards.com - Home (http://www.sendcards.com/) They actually send out some really cool cards in direct mail based on what you've written. I really like their service after testing them a few times.

Make a quick phone call or send an email shortly after your engagement just to confirm that you are interested in this client and that you care about their needs.

Start getting involved in social media marketing. Since you want to promote your web design services, I recommend that you start tweeting on Twitter and have a profile on LinkedIn and/or a 'page' or 'group' on Facebook. In these venues, you could have special coupons or giveaways solely for your followers that would give them a heads-up preview and make them feel special.

You also have the opportunity to answer specific questions and establish the concept that you are the go-to person for web design.

These social media sites will also help you develop a more personal relationship with your prospects and/or clients.

Since you didn't mention your target market as a web designer, I would also recommend that you give some thought to that.

Karen

P.S. It goes without saying that your own website should be the flagship that people first turn to in order to see what you can do.