PDA

View Full Version : Business License Question

Stud
04-10-2017, 01:00 AM
Myself & a friend are looking to get a business license to start selling clothing. We are going to use his house as our business headquarters. The issue I am running into is that his house is in a county that isn't where we will do a vast majority of our sales. To start, every transaction will be In person. So the question is do we have to have a business license in both counties? Also, I am in Alabama, I've tried doing some research & ive seen several different answers. Can anyone here lend some insight?

vangogh
04-10-2017, 09:57 AM
It depends on the countries in question. I assume one is the United States. You'll need to comply with whatever the US says federally as well as comply with any license requirements of the state in which you'll see, which I'm guessing is Alabama. You can likely find the information you need through the Secretary of State for Alabama website (http://sos.alabama.gov/). At least it's the place to start. I assume that's where you'll be selling.

As far as the other country is concerned, you'll have to follow whatever rules they have, especially since the company will be headquartered there. Before anyone here can answer, we would need to know the country in question.

Is there a reason you want to start the company this way? I can't say for certain, but I have a feeling you're going to make things more complicated than they need to be and probably more expensive too.

Stud
04-10-2017, 12:31 PM
County not country. In Alabama I believe business licenses are assigned by the county. He recently bought a house a few minutes away from our city in a smaller town but it happens to be in a different county & little to no business will take place there. So as it goes we are on a bit of a shoe string budget & would much rather spend an extra $150 on shirts, rather than on an additional license. Sorry for the confusion.

Harold Mansfield
04-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Where will you be seeing customers? Where will you be selling the product? Will the house be an office that is open to the public?

Stud
04-10-2017, 03:14 PM
The house won't be open to the public. It's just a physical address which is required by the state. We will meet with customers where ever we run into one and product will be sold there. Like I said all sales will be in person to start.

Harold Mansfield
04-10-2017, 03:21 PM
I don't know how they do it in AL, but here it doesn't matter where my customers are. Get a license where you are located. Other than that, just make sure you comply with sales tax and income tax requirements.

I'm sure if you just call your licensing bureau they'll clear up any questions in a matter of minutes.