PDA

View Full Version : Trademark for a brand or logo

Dustin07
08-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Just realized i posted this on the 'other' forum... I was hoping to get a response from you guys :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am creating a retail marketable brand, I have a logo already designed, and I want to protect it before I start distributing. I saw on the Trademark office that it's about $250 to apply. Seems fairly straight forward. Is there anything else I should consider?

vangogh
08-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey Dustin. How have you been?

I think the trademark is probably all you need. You can probably file for copyright on the logo design, though that may be included in the trademark and is probably unnecessary to do both. You'll need to monitor your trademark and take action to prevent people from using it. If you don't then I believe you lose the trademark.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure a few others will post behind me with more and probably better thoughts.

nealrm
08-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Trademarks and copyright cover two completly different areas. A trademark deals with branding. It indicates that specific words, phrases or graphics belong to a specific company or individual and that others cannot use them in a many that may confuss consumers.

I copyright gives the holder the exclusive right to a work for a period of time. Others cannot use that work without permission. You have a copyright by default when you create the logo.

So a company can have a logo this is the company's trademark and the creator of the logo can also have a copyright on the logo design.

rebecca16
10-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Well, I too got some nice information here. Cheers