PDA

View Full Version : Bluehost now giving free SSL's (TLS) to WordPress sites

Harold Mansfield
03-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Noticed it a couple of months back with some clients.
Called the other day to double check, and it's just WordPress sites right now.

Apparently they now support free SSL's via https://letsencrypt.org/

Good stuff. Thought I'd pass it along.

vangogh
03-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Nice. Bluehost has turned themselves into a WordPress preferred hosting platform the last few years. I think they're one of the few recommended hosts on the wordpress.org site and this will only help. Good for WordPress users and good for Bluehost.

ComponY
03-09-2017, 03:37 PM
That's pretty cool. Their cPanel is hideous though.

cbscreative
03-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Their cPanel is hideous though.

Amen to that!!! It used to be just fine until some tasteless wannabe designer decided to put in a hideously unreadable font and Bluehost failed to exercise enough quality control to take his toys away. I've had cases where I had to copy and paste the text into notepad just to be able to read it. It amazes me that any reputable company would allow that eyesore to go unfixed.

Harold Mansfield
03-10-2017, 02:14 PM
I've dealt with so many crappy hosts over the years that if a badly designed C-Panel is the worst of it, to me that's pretty good.

Owen
03-10-2017, 02:16 PM
haha shared hosting

FastCapital360
03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Shared hosting or not, Let's Encrypt is a great product for free SSL.

singhabhishek251
11-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Not only bluhost but even ipage is giving free ssl for one website in a hosting account, and that is not for wordpress website. with ipage you can get 1 for any website on any platform. i am not sure if bluhost is also doing same or only providing for wordpress websites.

turboguy
12-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Let's encrypt seems very good. It's free and should work with any hosting company. My favorite hosting company which is SiteGround encourages people to use Let's encrypt for free.

maidanez
12-18-2018, 06:16 AM
I use Let's Encrypt everywhere. I'd say they're almost as good as the expensive paid ones. I personally don't think anybody looks at the provider of your SSL cert and makes a judgement on it, even though the expensive ones light the toolbar up and look "more secure". There's more potential with Lets Encrypt for people to abuse the certs as they admit in their FAQ, but SSL certs are probably the wrong method to verfiy authenticity of a website and it's business practices. Lets Encrypt also don't work out of the box on Win XP :O. The old root server list doesn't have let's encrypt in it. Installing something non-IE no doubt fixes it though. Never heard anybody complain about broken cert messages yet.

AnthonyS
03-06-2019, 08:12 AM
I agree that most people don't look at who the SSL cert provider is, just that the site is https:// with the green padlock. Having a more robust SSL cert that lights up the address bar is a nice to have but certainly not a must have. The only must have is a basic SSL cert mainly because of the "This site isn't secure" warning messages web browsers like Chrome throws at people when they go to fill out a contact form, mailing list form, etc. They've made some kind of SSL cert on your site basically essential even if it's free from Let's Encrypt.