PDA

View Full Version : Proper business name

Mr. Supplier
02-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Good day,

Here is a subject that I've been thinking about lately. A short intro:
I am planing to start a small business which would offer busy people and companies the service of a purchasing manager. There are plenty of small to mid sized businesses around my area which do not have a purchasing manager in their staff, but still could use someone who knows how to find items they need for a fair price. I could be that someone, charging them a small fee for the service I provided. To my mind this is a very simple, yet profitable business, where little to no investment is required. However, I have been having some trouble coming up with a proper name, so I thought I would sign up to the forum and strike a subject for conversation at the water cooler.

I came up with the name "Mr. Supplier" and it just got stuck in my head - can not get it out of there. Asked a friend for his oppinion, and he said that if someone were to tell him that a certain Mr. Supplier got him some good stuff for a fair price, it would probably sound to him like a... a drug deal.

To me, the name of a business means a lot. Therefore, I would much appreciate if you could share your thoughts on the name or ideas for a better suited one for my planned business profile. Thoughts on the very business plan itself are also welcome.

P.S. Keep on fighting the good fight!

IgnacioBernal
02-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Hi Mr Supplier,

The name is indeed catchy, but on the other side I can understand your friend. Might ending up someone calling you to deliver 'a bag of the white stuff', LOL.
I would personally go with something like purchase4u, or we buy 4 u.

Also, I do like the idea of your business plan, I do believe there is a market for that.
I have worked in the past with a customer that needed a website for something like that. Based in the Netherlands, but he was doing grocery shopping for busy people. His customers would make up a list of things they need weekly or daily, and he would deliver it to them for a fee.

The one thing you should keep in mind is that you will need to have some knowledge of the products a certain company is using, as in brands, quality etc. The knowledge of those products should not be underestimated, since there will be different companies that use different kinds of the same products.

Good luck with your plan, and let us know if you need any help.

Business Attorney
02-20-2017, 11:30 PM
I don't like the name at all. Not only is it too generic, it doesn't really describe what you are doing: providing purchasing services. I would try to come up with a memorable first word and then include "purchasing services" in the name, such as "Falcon Purchasing Services".

By the way, I have an article on my website on 7 Tips to Help You Name Your New Business (http://www.illinoisbusinessattorney.com/articles/naming-your-new-business.html) that might give you some things to think about.

Fulcrum
02-21-2017, 07:12 AM
"Falcon Purchasing Services".

Dibs.

As to the OP, welcome. I'm not sure this idea is going to fly. Most small businesses don't have purchasing issues (we all like to save money but it's usually in house inefficiencies that cost us most), rather we have payment issues. Modern practice is to not pay your bills until you feel like it (I know of one international company that reserves the right to take 6 months to accept an invoice and another 6 months from date of acceptance to pay said invoice). If you can figure out how small businesses can get paid COD/within terms you might be better off.

Bobjob
02-21-2017, 10:21 AM
The one thing you should keep in mind is that you will need to have some knowledge of the products a certain company is using, as in brands, quality etc. The knowledge of those products should not be underestimated, since there will be different companies that use different kinds of the same products.

This is where I would see you having difficulty as well. In the amount of time it would take me to educate you on what I wanted I could have purchased it myself. I agree with BA, I would chose a name like "Choice Purchasing" - Your Choice for all your purchasing needs.