PDA

View Full Version : Unclaimed items

Jetlabbelectronics
02-16-2017, 06:17 PM
I operate my electronic repair business from NY. I have had many customers drop their device off and then not come and get it. Or they say they will come and get it and they end up not coming. I have had some devices for 3 to 4 months and some longer.

Could I notify the customer that if they do not come in and get it I will sell it to pay for the parts and labor?

Fulcrum
02-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Could I notify the customer that if they do not come in and get it I will sell it to pay for the parts and labor?

Yep. Just run the language and how to do this through your lawyer.

Harold Mansfield
02-17-2017, 12:36 PM
I agree. Yes you can. In the future set the rules clearly with new customers. Even a dry cleaner will sell your clothes if you leave them too long.

Jetlabbelectronics
02-18-2017, 11:21 AM
So I have it in a paper I have them sign that after 30 days I will sell their items if they don't pick theme up. My issue is with two customers. I have had their devices for 3nor 4 months but I didn't have this paper then and they didn't sign it. So is it still valid?

Harold Mansfield
02-18-2017, 12:41 PM
So I have it in a paper I have them sign that after 30 days I will sell their items if they don't pick theme up. My issue is with two customers. I have had their devices for 3nor 4 months but I didn't have this paper then and they didn't sign it. So is it still valid?
No, that would be unfair. For customers going forward.

tallen
02-19-2017, 11:47 AM
In many states, after some period of time, unclaimed property must be turned over to the state, although this is typically "intangible" monetary property. There may be specific rules about how you can dispose of unclaimed tangible personal property. You should look into those before proceeding. For NY, you might start here: Office of the New York State Comptroller - Unclaimed Funds (http://www.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/)

Edited to add; you might also look in to "mechanic's lien" law (especially if you haven't been paid for repair work you have done).