PDA

View Full Version : Business name using others Trademark?

lacarrye
12-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Hi! Everyone,
I was wondering if a business name may be same as a Trademark from a different activity? I'd line to name my consulting business "First Innovadex" but "Innovadex" is a trademark for chemicals. My business is Quality management consulting, nothing to do with the trademark itself. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you!! Javier

nealrm
12-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Technically you might be OK since trademark are specific to a line of business. However, do you really want to risk getting into a trademark dispute with a deep pocket chemical company?? Really what is the up-side to using that term?

lacarrye
12-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Hi! Nealrm,
You're right! I won't. I just invested onmy web domain $12! Therefore, looking for a new name. Thank you!!

Owen
12-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Hi! Everyone,
I was wondering if a business name may be same as a Trademark from a different activity? I'd line to name my consulting business "First Innovadex" but "Innovadex" is a trademark for chemicals. My business is Quality management consulting, nothing to do with the trademark itself. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you!! Javier

Let's back up for a minute. There are two main types of trademarks including:

Arbitrary trademarks - For example, Apple.
Fanciful - Made up word, for example Google. Can only be used by Google, Inc.

Now, it looks like it's drawing code is: "STANDARD CHARACTER MARK". Basically, this makes it a arbitrary trademark. There are two trademarks, one that involves computers and the other is for chemicals but it is registered by the chemical company. Basically, just don't venture into tech :)