PDA

View Full Version : Forming a LLC in Florida

ASH2001
12-06-2016, 11:55 PM
I started a business as a hobby a few years ago. To my surprise It's doing well. I've now moved to the state of Florida and I'm ready to start a LLC.

I was going to use Legal Zoom but after reading reviews I've been talked out of it. Is this something I can do myself by going to the court house? Or do I need to hire an attorney? I really don't want to spend a lot of money because I'm kinda boot strapping this business and and money spent there is less inventory I can buy.

Any advice is a appreciated.

Tom

Owen
12-07-2016, 12:58 AM
I started a business as a hobby a few years ago. To my surprise It's doing well. I've now moved to the state of Florida and I'm ready to start a LLC.

I was going to use Legal Zoom but after reading reviews I've been talked out of it. Is this something I can do myself by going to the court house? Or do I need to hire an attorney? I really don't want to spend a lot of money because I'm kinda boot strapping this business and and money spent there is less inventory I can buy.

Any advice is a appreciated.

Tom

I would recommend hiring an attorney, that way you know for a fact that nothing is incorrect. It's not required, though. You will want to look into registering your business including all the licensing you will need for your business, insurance, etc. as well.

Limited Liability Company - Division of Corporations - Florida Department of State (http://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/forms/limited-liability-company/)

This link has all the information you'll need on forming an LLC. I would also recommend an accountant to keep track of your finances so you don't face penalization and the possibility of getting audited if you mess up on accounting because, like your personal tax return, you can get in a lot of trouble.

trunker
12-07-2016, 05:11 AM
I would get a lawyer. I just did this and it only cost me $850, no worries about if that was done right or not. I would also see an accountant about taxes. Chances are if you are making a good bit it will pay off to have an S corp.

Freelancier
12-07-2016, 08:11 AM
For an LLC and you live in Florida? No lawyer or court house necessary. You can just file for the LLC on Limited Liability Company - Division of Corporations - Florida Department of State (http://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/forms/limited-liability-company/)

I have a Florida LLC for my rental properties there, did it all from my home in Georgia (it helps I had an "agent" already living in Florida I could use for a mailing address, but you won't need that) one dreary Saturday morning in about 30 minutes.

turboguy
12-07-2016, 12:39 PM
In Pennsylvania it is pretty easy and straight forward. You can download the forms from the state web site and most of it is just fill in the blanks such as your name and address. Most of us can fill out our name and address without the help of a lawyer. I think most states are pretty similar.

It has been a while since I did it but it was simple and took 10 minutes.

I would suggest going to your state web site. Download the forms and look them over to see if you think you can handle it without a lawyer.

PZagotti@ZnBcpa.com
12-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Before we go there you might want to ask a CPA and / or attorney if an LLC is right for you in your particular situation.

Since you talked about cost, a FL LLC filing fee is $100 while DBA and Corp filing fees are only $50 and $35 respectively.

I can think of situation where another entity other then an LLC might be better depending on the situation.

I agree with Owner, LLC setups are relatively simple but there are a few areas that could make a difference.