PDA

View Full Version : What is the cost of expanding my company from the UK to USA?

zigglr
11-12-2016, 01:19 PM
I currently own a business based in the UK that operates completely online. My clients are based mainly in the UK and USA. I'd like to expand from the UK and open an office in the USA. What are the costs / requirements for this? How many people will I need to hire?

Owen
11-14-2016, 01:01 AM
I currently own a business based in the UK that operates completely online. My clients are based mainly in the UK and USA. I'd like to expand from the UK and open an office in the USA. What are the costs / requirements for this? How many people will I need to hire?
You need to register your company in this country which can be expensive if you need a lawyer. You also need to rent, lease, or buy the building which is expensive. You need insurance as well. Employees are a whole different story. You'll need to obtain an EIN, attorney, etc. and you'll need even more insurance. Talk to an attorney about how much it'll cost exactly.

Harold Mansfield
11-14-2016, 09:46 AM
On top of Owen said above, you really need to contact an attorney on your end who specializes in this to get a real understanding of costs for your specific business. It could cost more or less depending on what the business is. Selling perishables is different from selling electronics. Providing personal services is different than farming.

We can't answer that question without knowing more info, and even still we'd only be giving you a best guess. Even if one of us had done it before, it's not going to be the same for you and your business.

Owen
11-14-2016, 11:15 AM
On top of Owen said above, you really need to contact an attorney on your end who specializes in this to get a real understanding of costs for your specific business. It could cost more or less depending on what the business is. Selling perishables is different from selling electronics. Providing personal services is different than farming.

We can't answer that question without knowing more info, and even still we'd only be giving you a best guess. Even if one of us had done it before, it's not going to be the same for you and your business.

We also forgot to mention how expensive and how troubling it is for foreign companies to enter and own US property...