PDA

View Full Version : Finding Work As A Copywriter/Freelance Writer

SteveS
11-09-2016, 05:13 AM
I am somewhat new to learning about SEO, content marketing, and website coding (don't know HTML much at all). However, I am able to produce quality content that can be used online or offline. Unfortunately, I simply haven't been able to find much work in the field other than a job that offers terrible pay comparable to working at a fast food joint. I have looked quite a bit for other opportunities but to no avail. I'm sure there are plenty out there, but I have been completely unable to find them :(

My experiences with finding other work have been the following attempts:

-I worked for a website called iWriter for a single day until they blocked me arbitrarily. Later, I realized it was a scam. While I did not fall for the worst parts of it, I did write a couple of things for them and did not receive any payment.

-I worked for a website called Triond, but it was quite brief. I realized that they were hardly paying me anything. I only made around 75 cents from the multiple pieces that I had written. If that isn't bad enough, there were pop-up scam artists on some of the pages that they sent their content to. One of the con artists appeared to be a hacker attempting to trick people into punching in a remote access code!

-I have begun to design my own website, but it is in it's early stages. I will continue to work on designing it, but I am somewhat unfamiliar with how to effectively employ SEO strategies for my site. Of course, once it's up and running, there is the possibility that I could do something with it.

-I applied to several other places online, but my application was rejected.

Recently, I have discovered a legitimate appearing job board on a website called ProBlogger. On this website, there appears to be businesses that are seeking copywriting services. Some of the jobs would definitely interest me, and I would enjoy working for them. However, I'm uncertain as to whether ProBlogger is a legitimate organization. It appears that many online organizations aren't legitimate, and I don't want to get mixed up with any scams. Assuming this is not a scam, what can I expect from using this service to find work? For other copywriters, what resources do you recommend to find employment? I'm assuming that there are probably numerous places to seek employment as a copywriter online. I simply do not know where to look.

hi_fly
11-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Hi! very funny I see this thread now. I don't know exactly what kind of business opportunity you search, but I do suggest you to give a look into FIVERR because there is great opportunities there to make yourself a decent living as a solopreneur and within your specific niche. I work there and I know what I am speaking about. There is sellers that are able to make over $2000/day. Good luck

beeline_Chris
12-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Yes, or use Upwork. There is a method to applying for the jobs there, but if you are focused and apply for all of the good postings, it's a numbers game.
Just make sure in your proposal you make a call to action for the company to set up an interview with you, so that you can close the job.

Good luck.

SARubin
01-28-2017, 04:03 PM
It sounds like you're limiting yourself to only looking for low end work? (Low end work = Low end pay)

Stepping up your game may not be something you've considered yet, but I'm going to give you the same advice one of my mentors gave me when I was first starting out...

When I asked "how do I know when I'm ready to call myself a copywriter?"

His answer was simple... "You're going to write a sales letter selling yourself, and your services. Then you're going to send that letter to a number of business owners. If you get a response, that turns into a client... Congratulations, you're a copywriter! If you don't get a response, then you're not ready yet."

His answer was blunt and simplistic, but he made a valid point.

Basically, if you can't sell yourself, then it's going to be hard to convince a business owner that you can sell their stuff.

Of course, I've always been more of a "freelance" kind of guy. But even if you're only looking for a job working for someone else... your first sale still needs to be YOU.

smartkpis
03-17-2017, 11:53 PM
It sounds like you're limiting yourself to only looking for low end work? (Low end work = Low end pay)

Stepping up your game may not be something you've considered yet, but I'm going to give you the same advice one of my mentors gave me when I was first starting out...

When I asked "how do I know when I'm ready to call myself a copywriter?"

His answer was simple... "You're going to write a sales letter selling yourself, and your services. Then you're going to send that letter to a number of business owners. If you get a response, that turns into a client... Congratulations, you're a copywriter! If you don't get a response, then you're not ready yet."

His answer was blunt and simplistic, but he made a valid point.

Basically, if you can't sell yourself, then it's going to be hard to convince a business owner that you can sell their stuff.

Of course, I've always been more of a "freelance" kind of guy. But even if you're only looking for a job working for someone else... your first sale still needs to be YOU.

Wow, I like the advice. Being keen into writing and copywriting, I think your Mentor's advice is completely true. If you can't sell yourself first by your writing, then how can you sell the Industry's product?

As for the OP, it is difficult to apply for freelancer job to an "online" service because most of it is actually a scam. Try giving your service to companies near you! I think many companies are interested because:
1. You are offering a freelancer job, without a contract. This means that the company can save money compared to when they hire an actual contracted worker.
2. Both the company and yourself can grow a better network. Who knows maybe the company wants to try freelancers first to see how good you are, and if they think you should be apart of their team then you can be their permanent worker.

Good luck!

WarrenD
04-04-2017, 03:29 AM
Apart from fiverr and upwork which have been already mentioned here, freelancer is another legitimate marketplace site where you can find work. I can vouch for it as I have myself used writing services from there.

bella.lopez
01-02-2018, 05:45 AM
As a freelance copywriter myself, I use Fiverr, Medium and PPH to get decent gigs. I am sure you'll find legit work there without any worries of scam or fraud. Check it out!