PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tip about Article marketing for Traffic.

Harold Mansfield
08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I use this technique when I am targeting specific products and it's not full proof but it works a good portion of the time. Just depends on the keyword.phrase competition and how soon you can get the attack going.

Mind you, this isn't an SEO tip, it's about making the best use of your articles to get some traffic.

First, article marketing for back links to build PR is tedious and takes a lot of time and a lot of articles..but article marketing for traffic is still possible.

A lot of people also spend hours leaving comments on do-follow blogs in order to build PR. That's fine if you have the time, but what you really want when article marketing is placement on the first or second page. It's a tough get, especially in a heavily saturated niche but here are a few tips that I use that get me some traffic even if I can't break into the first page right away or at all.
This works well with reviews or product information...but I imagine it will wok with just about anything...

First go ahead and write your product review or article. Don't worry about how many words it is, use what ever you need to make your review informative and complete. but get to the point...don't drag it out.

Try and use your exact targeted keyword in the title and a few times throughout the article, especially in the first paragraph but don't over do it and spam the whole thing out. Some people say 3 times for every 100 words, although that can get a little repetitive. NEVER go over 3x per 100 words or you will be penalized.

Go ahead and submit it to your choice of article directories, ezine, go articles, article dashboard, article directory...what ever your favorites are. I recommend writing 2 or 3 versions of the article, which you can do as you are writing the original....change your introduction, swap around paragraphs, re-word, what ever works...try and make at least 150 words in the first 2 paragraphs different.. and maybe use a different closing. Sometimes I just submit the same article to see who gets indexed first. It's not uncommon to have 2 identical articles, on different sites, on the same page of the SERP's.

Make use of Squidoo. I used to hate using it, because it took so long, but they have really gotten it together and it's much easier now. Chose your URL carefully, make it your keyword or phrase iE: "iLive iPod Dock Review". At the bottom/end of your Squidoo page, make a ""Credits" paragraph just like the authors box of your article submissions that links back to your blog, website or landing page. Don't rely on just a link box with your link in it....write a bio with anchor text for your links.

Make use of the money links that you can add though Amazon and Ebay, and set your payment options...it is possible to sell products and make money through your Squidoo page. If there is video available, use it. Nice thing about Squidoo is you can add multimedia to your articles, just be sure not to link your readers away to someone else or another page where you don't make any money.

While you are waiting to see if your articles are accepted, bookmark your Squidoo page on your social bookmark and network sites..Digg, My space, Facebook, Mixx, Yahoo, ...what ever you use...and any other links that you can throw at it. Personally I use a script called Bookmarking Demon, but it's not necessary, I'm just lazy.

Also, Create a landing page with Weebly.com because it's super easy to use, free, and Google already loves this site. When you create your landing page on Weebly you should make sure the title of the site is exactly what your keyword or phrase is. Then your headline should have that word or phrase in it also. Bookmark it.

When your article acceptances start coming back, bookmark those as well. A lot of people submit hundreds of articles just for the purpose of linking back to their site from the resource box, and that's great if you are building back links, but does nothing for traffic if those articles are 4 pages back...we are looking for placement and eyes....and since you have already bookmarked your own blog countless times..let's give other pages that link to your site some love and credibility.

It is much easier to get your article that is on a respected site or domain that already has PR and Google love pushed up higher, than your own blog or website that is struggling for page 1 results. Use their age and good standings to your advantage..

In a few days (or week) go back and see if any of your articles, Squidoo page, or blog has reached at least the second or third page (for that search term).......now.....go to all of the reviews, blogs and websites that are ahead of yours and comment on each one, linking back to your highest ranked submission. Either one of your articles, Weebly page, the Squidoo page, or your blog, website, or landing page. (You can also use blogger, but it takes more time to make a nice looking article page)

Don't waste a good link on a dead horse. If your Squidoo page is ranking higher than your website or blog for that particular term, for God's sake link to the Squidoo article to give it a boost and pull your site up with it. It doesn't matter which door they walk in, the ultimate goal is the same. Don't worry about what PR the article is that you are commenting on...(at least for that keyword) they are beating you and you want some of that.

Don't just leave any old comment, your goals is to capitolize on their placement and entice people to see what else you have to say, or get them to your money page, while giving yourself a few more backlinks from related content. You need to actually read the entries that you are commenting on to take advantage of any opportunities that are missed in the article, or disagree

Most "review" articles are either self serving, or excerpts from other sites. If you can offer a real assessment, either good or bad, it is much more appreciated, and if you have to trash a product, offer a better solution and why.

Also, large sites have professional SEO's, true enough, but each individual writer for that site does not do SEO...they just write..so while it is probably close to impossible to beat the Wall Street Journal for news, you can beat their individual writers who are targeting your keyword in a specific article. Same goes with all of them.

You don't have to give a favorable review just to lead people to click the buy button, if it's not a good product and you can turn them on to something else, it's still the same. A sale is a sale. Sometimes I will pick a bad product on purpose just to showcase the better, but lesser known product.

Like I said, it's not God's gift to SEO, but it is a quick way to jump on a new product or niche without submitting hundreds of articles one at a time.

billbenson
08-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Good post eborg.

Harold Mansfield
08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Good post eborg.

Thanks Bill..and it only took me a year to figure out something so simple:o

billbenson
08-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks Bill..and it only took me a year to figure out something so simple:o

I gotta start bookmarking your posts eborg!

BTW, how is that diet site you posted about doing?

Harold Mansfield
08-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I gotta start bookmarking your posts eborg!

BTW, how is that diet site you posted about doing?

Still haven't given it 100% yet. Hit a slight snag when Hydroxycut was recalled. That kind of put a slow down on all diet pills, and it slows down anyway during the summer, so I put it on a back burner for a sec. I've probably made $140 on it total.
I'll get back to it before the season starts (after the holidays), to get it 100%.

jonicode
09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Very informative eborg. I was used to believe that the keywords should be at least 3-4% of the whole article. It's only now that I've learned that I shouldn't go over 3x per 100 words. Darn it, this means that I've wasted a lot of good articles in the past. Bummer. It's ok though, at least I learned the right thing, better late than never.

Just bookmarked this post of yours, looking forward to learn more from you and other members of this community. Thanks!

Cheers,
Joni