PDA

View Full Version : Google PageSpeed Insights Score

nealrm
10-27-2016, 09:14 AM
I am redoing my home page and working on both speed and page content. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what Google expect in a couple of areas. What is the expectation on image compression? How close to 100 is good enough? What is an average score?

vangogh
10-28-2016, 01:44 AM
First, I wouldn't worry about the number and making sure you reach 100. Making your site faster is a good goal for a lot of reasons, one being people will stay on your site longer and will be more likely to buy from you, if your pages load faster. Go through all the Page Speed recommendations and work on them one at a time to make your site faster, but don't worry so much about your score.

As far image compression is concerned, run your images through an optimization tool. I use an application called Image Optim (https://imageoptim.com). They make it for the 3 major desktop operating systems. I drag an image into the tool and it does it's work. I went to the first link in your signature and grabbed an image on the page. The file size was 35kb. I dropped it into Image Optim and it reduced the file size to 31kb, which it said was a 12.3% reduction. You have a lot of images on your pages given the nature of your site so if you did that for every image on the page, the page should load noticeable faster.

I ran the page through the Page Speed tool (https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/) and according to Google running all the images on the page through an optimizer will save 68% of the file size. I couldn't tell you how much that will raise your overall Page Speed score, but again I wouldn't worry about it. Take the suggestions one at a time and implement them on your site. Some of the suggestions are easy to set up. For example the browser caching. I don't know if you've ever messed around with .htaccess files before, but it's an easy file to set up and a few lines of code will set up browser caching. Others like image optimization will require more work because you have a lot of images and your images are going to change as houses sell and come on the market.

nealrm
10-30-2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks vangogh, Unfortunately running the images through a third party compressor doesn't help us much for reasons outside of the site. We have to process around 750 - 1500 images a week. So the extra time would be significant. I would like to be able to do it all in Photoshop.

The issues that you mentioned are the reason that I am redesigning the home page. If you are interested, here is the current alpha version www hvoltest com. Put the periods in where necessary, I don't want Google to index it yet. Not everything is live and the page is a work in progress, so it might be down as the code is developed.

jeffscott
06-21-2018, 04:17 AM
Instead of wondering for an average score try to optimize first every page then lessen the videos but more on content concept or infographics.