PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Net Book, What I purchased and why.

Harold Mansfield
08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Net Books are all the rage this season. If you haven't seen them yet, it's basically a mini laptop. Not exactly powerful enough for a full fledged computing solution, but they offer nice portability and beat the heck out of carrying a full laptop to meetings, or the local coffee shop.

Verizon has been pushing both their HP Mini and Dell versions, and they seem like a good deal on the surface, but with further investigation, I opted for a new Acer Aspire One 11.6".

2 things about the Verizon netbook turned me off:
1. It's only $199 if you sign up for a 2 year contract with Verizon wireless ( and that is after a $50 mail in rebate, so it's $250 out of pocket)...not too bad except Verizon broadband wireless is archaic. They don't offer an unlimited plan, and their 3G network is far behind other companies like Sprint and Clear that are launching 4G networks, or WIMAX.
Without the 2 year contract, the net book is $599 !
The Verizon Dell's start at $399 with a 10.1" display.

2. The embedded broadband wireless only works on the Verizon network. Kind of like how a cell phone only works on the network you purchased it from.

Here is the real kicker...even if you buy it without the 2 year service contract, it still comes preinstalled with the Verizon Network. They have an option of a "Day Pass" which basically lets you pay for a days use of wireless broadband (24 hr periods) at $15 a whack ! Can you imagine ? Just 5 days of that is $75 !

Comparatively the AT&T Netbook (which is the 10.1" Acer Aspire) starts at $199 (after a $100 mail in rebate so $299 out of pocket) and a 2 year contract, and is $499 without the contract. But it does have 1G of ram and 160 GB Hard Drive.

I opted for an Acer 11.6" Aspire One ($329). It's not preloaded with any plan (although AT&T uses Acer's and Lenovo's for their net book offer.)

I can honestly say I am very happy with it. Once I uninstalled all the trial offers and configured it the way I like it, it is a very nice little machine that I highly recommend.
It's great to take with you, but I do recommend getting the one with the 8 hour battery which will run around $359 (I wasn't thinking, now I have to buy an 8 hour battery for $129 :().

Full sized keyboard, Twice the memory, twice the RAM, 5.1 sound availability, better graphics, and a bigger display, 3 USB ports, 5 in 1 media card reader, VGA port for an external monitor....all more than what the Verizon HP mini, or Verizon Dell is offering. The AT and T is comparable, but with a smaller display.

I already had a Sprint Broadband wirless USB card ($49.99 unlimited), and WIMAX drivers are free on the Acer site, so it's Wifi, WIMAX, and with a simple Blue Tooth USB adapter ($16, but you can get them as cheap as $5 or less)...Blue Tooth ready.

I test drove the web cam at the local coffee shop combined with Skype, (or Yahoo, AOL, or MSN Messenger) the blue tooth headset I had for my phone ($12) and it was pretty cool. Crystal clear.

It gets looks and conversation.

Since, I have run into all kinds of people who are using theirs for work, and everyone seems to be quite pleased.

I don't think that buying a net book from a wireless provider is a great move, unless it's your provider and you definitely plan on staying with them for the life of the computer, or the company is paying for it.
It seems that you should be able to use any wireless card you wish, but after I read the specs it seemed like it would only work on the Verizon network and that scared me.

I looked for 2 months before I pulled the trigger and I can say that I made a good choice.
Previously the Acer 10.1" is one of the best selling net books on the market. the 11.6" just came out, so I jumped on it...the price is already starting to go up.

Have any of you been thinking about a net book ?

vangogh
08-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I have thought about it. I generally don't travel that much with my laptop, so it's not a necessary purchase for me, but I would like to have another laptop as a backup and do like the added mobility of a net book.

What I'd really like is something between a phone and a laptop that could fit easily in a jacket pocket. Maybe something the size of a trade paperback, that would essentially do what a netbook does now. There are rumors Apple is working on something like that, though that may be more wish list by the rumor makers than reality.

I've generally heard good things about Acer. A year or two ago I recommend them to my brother when he was buying a laptop and he's been happy with it. Happy enough that he bought another.

I hear you about going through the wireless companies. They seem to be treating net books like cell phones. We'll give you the net book for little cost as long as you're willing to sell your life away to us and pay our ridiculous rates for the next few years. I think that would be the biggest deal breaker for me. When the time comes I'll buy the net book of my cost and hop online by connecting to whatever network is in range.

Harold Mansfield
08-07-2009, 12:07 AM
I hear you about going through the wireless companies. They seem to be treating net books like cell phones. We'll give you the net book for little cost as long as you're willing to sell your life away to us and pay our ridiculous rates for the next few years. I think that would be the biggest deal breaker for me. When the time comes I'll buy the net book of my cost and hop online by connecting to whatever network is in range.

Yeah, there are just way too many options, especially if you live in a relatively big city. Even places like Cricket can give you 3G service with no contracts for around $40 a month. And there is enough local service options if all you need is just citywide service.
If you are traveling, just about any hotel has free wifi so you'll be good there.

But I couldn't believe that even without the service contract, it's still pre installed with the network ..that is the part that really makes me feel like they (Verizon) is trying to trap me into their 3G network, as 4G's pop up all over the place.

I'll admit, I didn't really need one, I just wanted one. I have paid more for just for phones in the past , so the price was right.

vangogh
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM
I bet they were trying to trap you into their network. Think of how cell phones are locked to work with one carrier. The entire way the wireless carriers run their business is ridiculous.

My last phone cost more than your net book too.

Harold Mansfield
08-07-2009, 12:19 PM
My last phone cost more than your net book too.

Yeah, amazing huh? The one thing that I spent a lot of time on was connection options. even though I have a Sprint wireless card, I hate their costumer service and dream of ditching them, but they have the best stuff. They don't have the iPhone, but they do have the best plans, and very good equipment.

I wanted to make sure that if I had this thing for a couple of years that it would be compatible with the changes in technology.

I just happen to live in a city where full scale WIMAX is available through Clear so the whole city is a hot spot and it is definitely the next wave of communication. I am sure that USB cards are and will be available, but the net books offered by Verizon didn't seem to embrace or even mention it at all, probably because their own 4G or WIMAX plans are a year or 2 behind Sprint, AT&T, and Clear.

And, since most net books only have 2 or 3 USB ports (mine has 3) , the less ports needed for connection the better. So either WIMAX, or Blue Tooth needed to be embedded.
The Acer's are already WIMAX ready (just download the software from Acer or Intel), and the Blue Tooth USB adapter was less than getting one with embedded blue tooth (and you can't even really see it ), and it still leaves one port for USB flash drives or other USB connections that I may need when away from my desktop (2 open ports if you are on a Wifi, WIMAX, or Blue Tooth Network), and it's less stuff sticking out of the unit....I mean what's the point of having a portable unit if you still have to go though a big set up to get going, and plug a bunch of stuff in.

Basically I wanted to open it, turn it on, connect to what ever network I am on, and access email, surf, receive a fax, or video conference in like 90 seconds. (which I timed one day :))
I've seen people at Starbucks or the airport take like 5 minutes to get going...that's too much setup for me. Probably because they use their laptop as their main computer and have everything on it.

Of course Blue Tooth is very important because it allows you to wirelessly connect to as many blue tooth devices as you want (and they don't have to be yours, so you can jump in on other peoples networks or peripherals if you are invited) ...headsets, printers, speakers, presentation projectors, blackberries and phones, ..so less stuff that you have to connect manually.

So it was more important to me that my net book be independent of any plans, or particular service and connect wirelessly to just about anything.

It's one thing to have a phone that is tied to a network, but having a computer tied to one is a bit too much.

vangogh
08-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm currently with Sprint too. My phone is a Palm Treo. When I bought it the phone was probably best of breed, but that was a few years ago. Sprint's customer service lost me too. I've just been waiting for the contract to expire, which it now has.

My brother has an iPhone and he'll be visiting me in a few weeks. As long as the reception on his phone is good here we'll be buying me an iPhone during his visit. Sprint does have good plans. They are less expensive than AT&T from what I can tell. Their network isn't so special from where I sit. It's down more often than it should be when I try to connect and viewing web pages on the Treo has always been painfully slow. That might be more the phone than the network though.

Harold Mansfield
08-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm currently with Sprint too. My phone is a Palm Treo. When I bought it the phone was probably best of breed, but that was a few years ago. Sprint's customer service lost me too. I've just been waiting for the contract to expire, which it now has.

My brother has an iPhone and he'll be visiting me in a few weeks. As long as the reception on his phone is good here we'll be buying me an iPhone during his visit. Sprint does have good plans. They are less expensive than AT&T from what I can tell. Their network isn't so special from where I sit. It's down more often than it should be when I try to connect and viewing web pages on the Treo has always been painfully slow. That might be more the phone than the network though.

I remember those. I wanted one desperately and they were a pretty penny at the time. With my habit of losing phones, I decided that I had better stick to what I could replace easily.

I don't have a problem with the service of the equipment, in the last few years they have been pretty much 100% for me and now that new hot spot card they have, "myfi", where you can have your own little hot spot for up to 5 devices is pretty sweet looking. I was thinking ahead about getting one...means I could run my net book and iPod touch from anywhere wirelessly. Killing all my birds with one stone.

Browsing on a phone, any phone, is a pain. Although on my iPod Touch it's pretty good...I imagine the iPhone is the same or better.

I actually used my Sprint Broadband card for a few weeks on my desktop and never skipped a beat. I'll have to admit it's pretty fast..not much different than my cable modem.

Where I am the network is pretty strong, but it hasn't always been so. I remember a time years ago when I was dropping just about every call that went over 2 minutes.

As I am sitting here, my lap top bag just arrived (woo hoo !), I am now completely mobile and can work and communicate from anywhere 100%.

Now barring any catastrophic power grid failure, or super virus that devastates the net, I'm all good.

rezzy
08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I agree with the idea that purchasing a net book through a provider is a rotten idea. Especially since alot of companies are rolling out pre-paid wifi connections... ie) Virgin and a few others. Hopefully, they will shake up the market and help the consumers get more competitive prices and services.

Harold Mansfield
08-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I agree with the idea that purchasing a net book through a provider is a rotten idea. Especially since alot of companies are rolling out pre-paid wifi connections... ie) Virgin and a few others. Hopefully, they will shake up the market and help the consumers get more competitive prices and services.

I also read that WIMAX providers are actually wanting to work together to cut down on roaming charges. Since one WIMAX tower can cover a 30 mile area, as opposed to a few hundred yards, I can see it being possible.
I mentioned Clear, and I know everyone doesn't have them yet, but here is their website (linked from Intel):
Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider (http://www.clear.com/?iid=tech_wimax+rhc_clear)