PDA

View Full Version : Business Attorney?

Owen
10-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Hello my fellow humans who use this forum (assuming aliens aren't using this website as a tool to learn about how human interact with each other).

Recently, I have been getting ready to apply for college. I'm waiting for my second SAT scores to come in, then I will apply for college. There's just one itsy little issue: I'm having second thoughts on my major. Recently, I met an attorney at my Staples job. After a lot of talking, it kind of got me thinking: what if I went to law school after college? I know for a fact if I decided to be an attorney, I would go for business law. I would love to represent companies. Plus I love arguing with people ;)

I was originally going to go for finance, but if I want to do business litigation / law what should I go for? Should I just go for a business degree and take some pre-law classes? Should I try getting an internship before college?

Fulcrum
10-11-2016, 07:28 PM
So, vulture or shark? That is the question.

Go the law route and then advise our banks that it really isn't a good idea to open bogus bank accounts with current client money.

vangogh
10-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Don't overthink it. There is no pre-law major. There aren't any pre-law classes. You can get an undergraduate degree in anything you want and still go to law school. You won't need to take any special courses. A business degree makes sense for what your thinking.

As far as an internship goes, sure get one if you want. It might be easier once you're in college, but if there's a program you can get into before, why not go for it and see what you think of the job.

Don't overthink the major though.

Harold Mansfield
10-12-2016, 12:23 PM
I agree with VG. Steer towards business classes and then get your footing. College is a big change. Get acclimated first, get used to going to class, doing well, your work load, and above all else get to know people and see what others are doing. By your second year you should have a better understanding of where you want to go for a 4 year degree.

You already know what you like, so take those classes. You don't need to declare a major right away. The hardest part of college is the discipline. Going to class and doing the work.

PZagotti@ZnBcpa.com
10-12-2016, 03:56 PM
OK so I actually have a good insight to this.
I got a degree in accounting and then set for my CPA license many years ago.
Then about 2 years ago I decided to go after a law degree.
I am currently in my second year.

I am exactly where you are thinking about going.

So a few comments.
1. A fondness of arguing is not a good character trait for law school. Most think it is but the one's who are succeed in law school are typically the smart, quiet, introverted types.
2. Only about 5% of law school students have a business degree and many schools will give you credit on admissions for having something other then a degree in "underwater basket weaving".
3. If you have a business degree and are making good money you will have to put that on hold to get through you law school. Even 4 year, part time programs require a ton of time. As a result you will pass on roughly 200 to 300K in salary and then pay another 100K for tuition. So is the law degree really work 300 to 400K?
4. Many law school grads graduate without a job with a law firm. If you want to go into business law a business degree will help put you ahead of the others.
5. The first year is as hard as they say it is. I believe they try to break you the first year just to see how badly you want it.

Obviously after doing the calculation discussed above I decided it was worth the cost but I also run my own company and therefor I have a very flexible schedule.
I will say that the law school experience has made me a much better CPA as everything I learn is immediately useful in my practice.

So what kind of business law do you want to practice?

BizAdvisor
10-13-2016, 10:01 AM
A sure way to get burnt out on business is to study business as an undergraduate course prior to going into business law. There's a reason why many Doctors often have degrees in Music.

Bobjob
10-17-2016, 11:44 AM
I met an attorney at my Staples job. After a lot of talking, it kind of got me thinking: what if I went to law school after college? I know for a fact if I decided to be an attorney, I would go for business law. I would love to represent companies.

Part of a lawyers job is being convincing with their talking. As my brother-in-law put it, "I don't completely trust a lawyers motives... even when they are on my side."

It sounds like a stranger is having an influence on you. Are the good people at SBF also having a positive influence? Are you learning a second language? Learning to play a musical instrument? Maybe some Habitat for Humanity? According to the US census there are 25million 18-24 year olds in the US. They are all dreaming big, just like you. What skills will you possess to set you apart from them?