PDA

View Full Version : Want to create a website for my company. Need Help!!!

BingCrosby
08-05-2009, 04:04 AM
I am working in an advertising company and I want to establish a website for my company. I am little bit nervous about fake companies which take money early and not complete your work at time. Anyone please suggest me any company which can make a website for me and ask for the money after the completion of the work.

Patrysha
08-05-2009, 11:33 AM
There are several web developers/designers here on the forum.

I don't know the policies of them all, but I always do a 50/50 deposit and final payment with my clients so both of us have assurance that there is a commitment to pay and an assurance of completion.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like a consultation...or one of the others here - of course VanGogh is darn good at branding and his is the only name I can think of off the top off my head.

vangogh
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the mention Patrysha. Of course ol' Bing here is a drive by spammer. Still this could be an interesting conversation so I'll leave the thread.

I know there are people who are hesitant to pay anything up front for any kind of service work, but you have to considered the service based business here too. Without a deposit they're taking a chance on getting paid. In fact it's more of a risk than a 50% deposit would be since they're being asked to take on 100% of the risk.

In my experience I've found that anyone unwilling to pay a deposit for any kind of service based work, probably has no intention of paying in the end either. If you do offer services absolutely ask for a deposit. It doesn't have to be 50%, but you should definitely ask for something.

cbscreative
08-05-2009, 01:09 PM
My policy is also 50% down in most cases, and I've found very few exceptions for that requirement in service businesses. It's pretty much a given in this business. For those that don't require a deposit, it's almost guaranteed they'll get burned. To me, a no money down policy indicates an inexperienced designer.

I strongly agree with vangogh's point that a client not willing to pay a deposit is a flight risk to begin with. It does indicate that they are not williing to pay at all. It is rare that anyone objects to a deposit in my case. But I pretty much screen potential clients before ever getting to the point of quoting the job and asking for down payment.

vangogh
08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
If a project is really big I might do 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3 instead of the 50%. Maybe a 1/3 due to start and another 1/3 due after the design is agreed up and before development begins.

But the overall policy of deposits is one I insist on with new clients. For clients who've been with me over time, trust has developed between us and the 50% deposit doesn't exist unless the project is a large one. For new clients it's always a deposit or no work. It's amazing how many people are pushing hard for their work and then you never hear from them again once the word deposit is mentioned.

In general a good way to sort out the good clients from the bad is simply to mention something about the money early on. It doesn't have to be an exact price or anything, but it's good to begin that discussion early.

Patrysha
08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Ack! Suckered by a spammer...will I ever learn?

The way I see it I am in the marketing business, not credit and lending - a deposit protects both the service provider and the client. For my own purposes, all the money upfront would be nice, but it is unreasonable with the number of business owners that have been burned by unsavory people.

vangogh
08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Ack! Suckered by a spammer...will I ever learn?

Don't feel bad. It wasn't obvious. I've generated a 6th sense to forum spam over the years and it still took me a little while to decide this was indeed spam.

nighthawk
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
like many others here, I always insist on some sort of payment scheme, a deposit up front followed by either payment after particular goals or on a monthly basis, depending on the project.

Its too risky to wait until the project is finished and then demand payment. For smaller jobs with friends I have done it, but always keep the site on my own server until payment is received just in case.

cbscreative
08-05-2009, 02:21 PM
If a project is really big I might do 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3 instead of the 50%. Maybe a 1/3 due to start and another 1/3 due after the design is agreed up and before development begins.

Bingo, that's what I meant by "most cases" in my post. Your 1/3 approach is exactly the way I handle larger jobs too.