PDA

View Full Version : website on wordpress

Coach Morse
08-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I revamped my website (hired a marketing guy). I've made my focus Profit coaching for subway franchisee and developed a membership based website with different levels of access and different types of content.

I must say this change has made it easy for a technically challenged guy like me to get better control over my own website. I can make changes and updates without having to call a webdesigner.

I still need technical help with bigger design and functionality issues, but that's okay... I'm really pleased with how it's working so far.

the link's in my sig if you want to check it out... it might give you some ideas.
:)

vangogh
08-04-2009, 03:27 PM
George the site looks really good. Sounds like you're enjoying WordPress. It does make many things easy, doesn't it? If you need help with anything WordPress just ask. I work with it almost exclusively now and just about any site I build ends up on WordPress. I've learned many of the ins and outs and would be glad to help answer any questions you have.

I have a question for you now. Do you know how you set up the membership part of the site? Did you use a WordPress plugin or do you have a 3rd party application handling the subscriptions? Just curious for a project of my own.

I like the idea of focusing specifically on Subway franchises. Obviously there are less Subway franchises than franchises in general, but you have a better chance of standing out in the niche and by being more focused you'll be able to better serve the market.

Coach Morse
08-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks. :)

The membership part is handled with Wishlist Member (I had to buyit), and then it got plugged in (?) to wordpress. lol ... something like that.

By narrowing my focus I went from obscure to dominating my space. I think I'm the only Profit Coach for Subway Franchisees, so if you google it I'm in the first position. For a more generic search of just "profit coach" I'm coming up on page two around the 14th spot on google.

I'm excited about the results so far...

I will definitely let you know if I need tech help with wordpress... thanks again!

Evan
08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
The site looks very good! Good information.

Hopefully more people choose the unhealthy Chicken Bacon Ranch in the survey...though I more frequently get the Club anyways :P

vangogh
08-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks George. I figured you might be using wishlist member. I was looking at it a couple of weeks ago and plan on using it for a project. It looked very good and I think worth the price. What I'm trying to figure out now is if it will also manage the protection of bbPress forums and threads. I want to be able to allow and block threads based on the permissions of the current user. I have a feeling I may need to write a little custom code to make it happen, but fortunately I like doing that.

I think narrowing your focus is a great idea. I even started a thread on that very topic a few weeks back, Want More Clients? Narrow Your Focus (http://www.small-business-forum.net/managing-your-business/1627-want-more-clients-narrow-your-focus.html), though not everyone agrees. To me it's exactly what you mentioned. You have the ability to stand out more with the narrower focus and I'll add that in specializing you can tailor your services, your marketing, etc.

It's the difference between being a small fish in a big pond and a big fish in a small pond. As long as there's enough water in the small pond that's where I think it's better to be.

Coach Morse
08-05-2009, 10:35 AM
The site looks very good! Good information.

Hopefully more people choose the unhealthy Chicken Bacon Ranch in the survey...though I more frequently get the Club anyways :P

Thanks Evan!

The club is my favorite, though the Chicken Bacon Ranch is quite tasty indeed :D

KristineS
08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Wow, the new site looks great and what a great idea to narrow your focus. Since you have experience in this area, it makes you much more credible and I'm guessing there are a lot of franchisees out there who would be eager for the guidance.

I'm really interested to see how this works out for you. Make sure to keep us posted.

Dan Furman
08-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Love the focus on Subway. Nice.

Coach Morse
08-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Wow, the new site looks great and what a great idea to narrow your focus. Since you have experience in this area, it makes you much more credible and I'm guessing there are a lot of franchisees out there who would be eager for the guidance.

I'm really interested to see how this works out for you. Make sure to keep us posted.

thanks Kristine. :)

I'll be sure to let you know how it works.